GPU Power...

Using your nVidia or AMD Graphics card for BOINC computation.
FlyingfocRS
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 1

Post by FlyingfocRS »

welcome aboard lads. :)
Buster Gunn
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Buster Gunn »

Found my problem. I accidently install 6.3.10 as a service. Re-installed.
Hopefully when I get some w/u's it will work just fine. All others working.
Buster is my dog. Sadly, Buster is gone.
Buster is the Malamute, Obi is the Golden.

Obi is the dog of the house now.
FlyingfocRS

Post by FlyingfocRS »

It's possible, but I'm not certain about this, that if you have your email preferences set not to receive an email for PM's on the project forum, you may not be alerted to the takeover request. Perhaps some of our team founders could tell us if there are any additional controls - do you get an email by default if you receive a team takeover, becasue by default I think PM's are set not to email.
This is not enabled my default. In the process of going through all my teams and making sure I am set to get an e-mail by default.
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

It get's murkier for UK Boinc Team PS3grid .

Link to long PS3 thread here (the problem starts at the bottom of page 9)

Link to summary announcement here

I think we need to protect ourselves against this kind of attack. Maybe we should discuss how to do that off forum?

Hope UBT get it sorted out and have their original account re-instated, 'cos it really leaves a bad taste when a friendly and mutually supportive rivalry is goosed by the actions of a hacker. :(
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

guys this just sucks and i hope you get it sorted out as soon as possible.

btw welcome to our humble home. feel free to stop by in nicer times as well.
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

Why oh why do people do this, is there a secret way of selling credits that I dont know about?
ianmbaker2
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

Post by ianmbaker2 »

That's the 9800GT ordered. I can't believe I just spent that much money to run BOINC. I'll need to start doing some serious gaming to justify it.

Ian
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

I'd wondered what was going on with the sudden influx of UBT folks to our ranks. I'm flattered that you want to holiday with us and grateful that you are trusting us with your credits. I hope the project admins sort it out for you - we have no wish to gain from some one elses greed or stupidity. TBH I'm not sure I can see any possible gain for your usurper. Presumeably he is a spoiler associated with another team and trying to sabotage your efforts: the project should be able to to confirm this - even if he is hiding his machines fom the public the project will see him.
Willie the Megacruncher
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

That's the 9800GT ordered. I can't believe I just spent that much money to run BOINC. I'll need to start doing some serious gaming to justify it.

Ian
:lol:

That means I'm going to have to do some really serious gaming if I'm to justify it to Mrs N :roll:

Actually, I did install GRAW2 a few days ago.....just to see how it performed on the 8600GT of you understand! I wonder if it would be better with a GTX260 :wink:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

The "new" UK BOINC Team is now back under our control so i'm going to mosey on over and rejoin.
I think I'm the last of the refugees to rejoin so may I say a big thank you to TSBT for making us feel welcome and for being very vocal in our support on the PS3Grid forum.

Whether or not we get our original credits restored is still to be decided, we shall see but if this whole episode only exposes some holes in the boinc team structure and those holes get fixed, then at least some good will come out of it.

Thanks guys Image
FlyingfocRS

Post by FlyingfocRS »

ok,
so you have got ownership back already.
I will add 1.7M credits to the database for the UK BOINC team.
I have heard from Anderson that it is working on a fix for the future.

GDF
Not a full result but you have almost got all your credits back, maybe a full and proper restore can be done later once there has been a more thorough investigation.
Good to see a project admin responding positiively and not doing a DB at predictor.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Cheers guys. Like Temujin said thanks for the support and we hope this shan't happen again.

I shall visit the forum more often to see what is happening with our friendly foes :wink:
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Glad to see that the project has restored most of your credit.

You left 58K of the rest your credits behind with us so I'll join you for a few days to return them to you.
Willie the Megacruncher
Ben

Post by Ben »

Cor now there is dedication! Cheers! :D

You guys are welcome to join us in our chat room. We have a couple of us who are on there pretty much every evening (via MSN). However I shall keep the email addresses off topic due to spam bots crawling about and harvesting them.
Buster Gunn
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Buster Gunn »

Nightlord, I've read about your timing problems with PS3 on the PS3 forum. I have had the same symptoms for the last few days on only one of my machines. After investigation, I've found that NT Kernal and System is eating about 10-15% of the machine(see Task Manager). I've been looking for the culprit and have found nothing except that when I re-booted, the boot mgr said I was booting into Windows in EMS Mode. EMS hasn't been used since DOS emulation days and I have no idea how to turn it off or on. My w/u's seem to do the first 30% in about 2 hours and then normal the rest of the time. I haven't actually clock timed one yet but thats next. This is the same machine where I installed 6.3.10 as a service and re-installed. I'm not worried about it because PS3 accepts the results as valid.

Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Nightlord, I've read about your timing problems with PS3 on the PS3 forum.
It's weird - like the screen saver is kicking in, but causing boincmgr to eat resources instead of going to srcreen saver. One core goes to 100% utilisation on boincmgr after about 5 minutes. That halves the CPU available to the crunching and slows the machine. It's also strange that the wall time on boincmgr freezes. When I move the mouse or touch the keyboard it unfreezes and boincmgr returns to 0%.

I should add that I have no screen saver set. It started doing this on Friday night on that box. A clean install of Boinc didn't fix it and neither did a full clean Ubuntu install. Sounds hardware related, but why then does boincmgr go full scale? :?

Just now, the only way I can crunch a PS3 WU in any reasonable time on that box is to only run PS3, then when it goes full scale, there is still one core left to support the PS3 WU. It started up a WU last night in this config and completed it as expected at around 50k seconds, but this is with one core 100% on boincmgr and no other project running.

I'm tempted to put a quick install of XP on the machine and see if that makes a difference.

:
:
:
On a different subject, it's really pleasing to see the outcome of the UBT team hijack episode. I have to say that I have been impressed with the PS3 grid admin response on all subjects. The clearly care about their project and are very proactive. UBT got their credits back and hopefully the scallywag responsible wil be brought to justice....all's well that ends well.

I do think that we need to be aware of this type of scam - I was alarmed to read of the pPots team founder confusion - that could just have easily been an imposter making out to be one of you. Perhaps we should have a policy of dropping a pm back to the requester if the team founder receives a change request......just in case.
Buster Gunn
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Buster Gunn »

I should add that I have no screen saver set
I don't have it set either.

I just changed my startup to NOT automatically startup BOINC. The 10-15 still kicked in. This is NOT BOINC related. I have a PS3 w/u just about to finish. After it does, I'm going to do a complete re-install of Vista. When I get it back up I will see when (and if) the crap kicks in again.

ianmbaker2
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

Post by ianmbaker2 »

As a wee addition to the "weirdness" of PS3Grid. After I restart my system from hibernation, the PS3 grid does not run. It shows as running, takes up one core of the Quad, but is not running on the GPU. I can tell this because the temperature is sitting at the "resting" value. If I then Snooze BOINC and un-Snooze it, the temp of the GPU goes up to it's "running" value and off it all goes again.

Ian

PS. Meant to add that I ordered my 98000GT on Sunday from Ebuyer, got it today and ionstalled it this evening. I've started a new wu on it, 'cos the one that was running mysteriously dissappeared after I installed it. Looking forward to seeing shorter runtimes. It looks like about 1% / minute of runtime/.
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Big fingers crossed.....

we seem to be back in business!

A clean install of XP32 and it's crunching away happily. 25 minutes in and it's 2.85% complete. The cuda app is running at 50%, explorer.exe at 1% and nothing else loading the CPU. Memory load shows at 157MB - quite low, but then this is a clean install, with no frills and no addons.

All this is very weird....if it turns out to be solid on XP, I am lost for an explanation. It ran fine for nearly 2 months on Ubuntu. Then suddenly boincmgr started hogging resource, even after a clean OS install. All my other Ubuntu GPU boxes are running fine.

Oh well, I'll just have to make up for lost ground with my two new toys arriving tomorrow :twisted:
FlyingfocRS

Post by FlyingfocRS »

PS. Meant to add that I ordered my 98000GT on Sunday from Ebuyer, got it today and ionstalled it this evening. I've started a new wu on it, 'cos the one that was running mysteriously dissappeared after I installed it. Looking forward to seeing shorter runtimes. It looks like about 1% / minute of runtime/.
Hmmmph I ordered on Friday and they said the because of my postcode I wouldn't get mine until Wednesday.
Got a mail this afternoon saying the order was dispatched, so that means Thursday then! :x :x
ianmbaker2
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

Post by ianmbaker2 »

The first complete WU just finished on my new 9800GT, giving the usual 3232 credit in 16hrs, instead of the 42hrs that the 8600GTS oc took.

That will give me an extra 3k per day. Next thing to try, when I get time, is to put the 8600GTS back in the 2nd PCIe slot and try running 2 WUs at once. But that wont be this week.

One little hitch is that I lost an almost complete unit when I rebooted my system. I still haven't worked out if it was because I had to re-install the drivers when I installed the new card or if there was something alse going on. A work in progress.

Ian
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

New 6.44 application available for linux

A new application has been uploaded:
1) this application has drastically reduced CPU-usage
2) it reports the time per step in output, as now the cputime is not anymore a good estimate of elapsed time.

We are still requiring one CPU per WU until the new boinc client 6.3.11 is out.
Windows equivalent coming up.
gdf
Buster Gunn
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Buster Gunn »

Windows equivalent coming up.
Windows app is out. 6.45. CPU usage is almost nil. I've been running a w/u for almost 10 hours now and the cpu usage is 7 seconds. As our good friend temujin has pointed out, 6.3.11 may allow us to utilize all of our cores and the GPU at the same time. The new app will load automatically but you might get a message from your firewall asking if 6.45 should be blocked or not. Unblock is a good answer.

Not sure yet but I think the w/u's run a bit longer than before. Jury still out on that. Not a significant increase.

Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

in relation to the above: check out this thread

If it weren't late and I was a bit more alert, I might try give it a shot myself. :twisted:

On the other hand it may only be a week or so until 6.3.11 and maybe I don't want to goose one of my installations :shock:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)”