Linux kernel

scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#1 Linux kernel

Post by scole of TSBT »

Anyone using the 5.8.* kernel and notice slow performance or odd behavior? I have three nearly identical servers. Two are running 5.4.* and run great. The other was running 4.8.* and is was slow. That and after a while the GUI would get very sluggish, with no GPU app running. I just got it switched over to the 5.4.* kernel and going to see how it runs.

A little info about the two...https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=332962
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#2 Re: Linux kernel

Post by Dirk Broer »

So you have a slow 4.8 server and are contemplating a upgrade to 5.8? I may have kernel problems of myself here...

From the link you posted I gather that the HWE enabled 5.8 kernel should be used with the non-LTS versions, while the LTS versions are best served by the 5.4 kernel.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#3 Re: Linux kernel

Post by scole of TSBT »

Dirk Broer wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:22 am So you have a slow 4.8 server and are contemplating a upgrade to 5.8? I may have kernel problems of myself here...

From the link you posted I gather that the HWE enabled 5.8 kernel should be used with the non-LTS versions, while the LTS versions are best served by the 5.4 kernel.
Oops. Had a typo. I had a slow 5.8 system, downgraded it to 5.4 because better running systems were using that kernel. Not sure it's running any better with 5.4.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Linux”