Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS and AMD Radeon RX580

davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#1 Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS and AMD Radeon RX580

Post by davidbam »

not much to say ... it all worked like a dream with iso from https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

4K screen even during installation and Boinc saw the GPU right away

Nice job guys :dance: :dance:

I am crunching Collatz at the moment as there doesn't seem to be much choice for AMD GPU. Any suggestions please?
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#2 Re: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS and AMD Radeon RX580

Post by Alez »

Seriously ??? You have a AMD crunching on Linux without having major hair loss !! :o That in it self is a major achievement. I think I will have to try and see if my 7970's now work easily. Collatz is the daddy for points, if you have decent double precision on that GPU then Milkyway@home is also worth a look. Enigma is good to if you fancy some historical code breaking.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#3 Re: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS and AMD Radeon RX580

Post by davidbam »

Why did you have to mention hair loss !!! At least it wasn't caused by this setup
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#4 Re: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS and AMD Radeon RX580

Post by Dirk Broer »

Alez wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:59 am Seriously ??? You have a AMD crunching on Linux without having major hair loss !! :o That in it self is a major achievement. I think I will have to try and see if my 7970's now work easily. Collatz is the daddy for points, if you have decent double precision on that GPU then Milkyway@home is also worth a look. Enigma is good too, if you fancy some historical code breaking.
HD7970 has no VEGA chips, so no go. Only VEGA architecture is supported under Linux, crunching-wise, sorry.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#5 Re: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS and AMD Radeon RX580

Post by davidbam »

Has anyone tried the Radeon RX Vega 64 - it is a bit greedy at 295W (the RX580 is 185W). Is it worth the extra purchase and running costs ?
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#6 Re: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS and AMD Radeon RX580

Post by davidbam »

Also now crunching under Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS on a Firepro W5100 https://www.amd.com/en/products/profess ... epro-w5100

Collatz reports it as
AMD BONAIRE (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.15.0-36-generic, LLVM 6.0.0) (4096MB) OpenCL: 1.1
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#7 Re: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS and AMD Radeon RX580

Post by davidbam »

Out of interest, I fitted two graphics cards into the same machine (ubuntu with rx580 and a Firepro W5100)

xrandr correctly reports both cards but Boinc doesn't give any work to the second card (even when I leave a CPU core spare).

Not a deal-breaker but I'd be interested if anyone has got multiple cards working under Linux before? Either 2 x AMD, 2 x nVidia or one of each :D
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#8 Re: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS and AMD Radeon RX580

Post by davidbam »

Sorted. In cc_config.xml

Code: Select all

<options>
        <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>
</options>
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#9 Re: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS and AMD Radeon RX580

Post by Alez »

Beat me to it. I had 4 x nVidias crunching in Caro with a workstation server board. 1200W PSU required for that set up.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Linux”