minecraft OneChunk CPU Pre-Announcement (X86_64 & ARM64)

News from the various BOINC projects, sniffed out for you by our lovable wee mutt.
Newshound
BOINC news desk
BOINC news desk

#1 minecraft OneChunk CPU Pre-Announcement (X86_64 & ARM64)

Post by Newshound »

Over on the Minecraft@Home discord, Boysanic ("Boincboi"), Matt (Stronghold simulation coding), other developers and I have been discussing and planning a rollout of our first CPU application. This OneChunk project is "a BOINC project in the works. Our goal is to find all world seeds w/ at least an 11 eye portal in MC Java 1.7.10". So, if this all works out, "you'll finally be able to say you've found an 11 eye portal by yourself!"
Essentially, we are combining parts of the "SSG" (Seed-Speedrun) and 11-eye portal seed-filtering programs together to go through a large dataset. This input file is 9GB in size, but we plan to split it up into many small manageable tasks to be distributed through BOINC, which is where you come in! Going through a 320kb sample input takes a 4.8GHz Ryzen 5800 (the fastest single-core CPU) around 2 minutes, simulating and checking over 5,220 worldseeds a second. A 2GHz Raspberry Pi 4, with 64bit Raspbian manages to compute 1,370 worldseeds a second, making it around 3.8x slower but much more efficient. (45W vs 5W)

Thanks to work by other developers, I have tested and confirmed that both x86_64 ("64bit Windows and Linux") and ARM64 (64bit Linux ARMv8) configurations will work. The OneChunk 'Filter9000' BOINC application is single-threaded, but will likely have multiple tasks running concurrently on your computer to best utilize its resources and scale to your unique hardware configurations. For 'PC' requirements, we suggest Ubuntu 18.04/20.04 64bit or Windows 7 / 10 64bit, running on an CPU such as an AMD FX or Intel 1st Gen Core i5/i7 CPU or newer.

If anyone has a Raspberry Pi 3(B/B+) or 4, we would like to invite you to install the latest 64bit Raspbian on a spare SDcard in preparation. We also expect Nvidia Jetson Nano/TX1/Xavier devices with Ubuntu 18.04 64bit or newer to successfully run our Arm64 tasks, once we configure our BOINC server to provide and schedule tasks for this platform.

Please follow instructions on the Raspberry Pi website, but we suggest that more experienced Pi users join us for this experiment!
https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspi ... arm64.zip

Also, check out our Forums for upcoming updates, and to see the first 25-Tall Superflat cactus!

Source: https://minecraftathome.com/minecraftho ... php?id=102
TSBT's update on all the news from the BOINC projects.

Return to “Newshound RSS feeds”