Rosetta Units

Forum rules
darkmast2

#1 Rosetta Units

Post by darkmast2 »

Is anyone currently having any trouble with Rosetta ?

I'm not get any more units for some reason. I've checked their site and everything is fine there, no messages of problems and all their servers are running. I'm not getting any messages about it in the Boinc client either.

Nothing has changed in my setup, it completed the last one I had yesterday so now it is just doing Seti.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

When you hit the update button you will get some messages. What are they?

The most benign explanation is that your computer has enough work for just now and isn't actually asking the Rosetta server for more. Another possibility is that you have accidentally hit the no new tasks button.
Willie the Megacruncher
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

When I hit the update button I get the following.

20/04/2008 13:01:15|rosetta@home|Sending scheduler request: Requested by user. Requesting 0 seconds of work, reporting 0 completed tasks
20/04/2008 13:01:20|rosetta@home|Scheduler request succeeded: got 0 new tasks

The previous messages to this were

19/04/2008 22:57:10|rosetta@home|Sending scheduler request: Requested by user. Requesting 0 seconds of work, reporting 1 completed tasks
19/04/2008 22:57:15|rosetta@home|Scheduler request succeeded: got 0 new tasks

The last work units it downloaded was on the 19th of this month. I can't remember clicking on the suspend button at anytime, I can't see a way of restarting it either. I can't see it being a busy cache queue cause I only have 8 Seti units waiting to be done.
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

Ok. The first thing is that you aren't getting any work because you aren't asking for any:
20/04/2008 13:01:15|rosetta@home|Sending scheduler request: Requested by user. Requesting 0 seconds of work, reporting 0 completed tasks
This could be because you've accidentally set it to NNW (as Mega suggested) or because BOINC is balancing the LTDs.

On the project tab of the manager if you click on the Rosetta Project, one of the buttons on the left should say "No New Tasks" or "Allow New Tasks". If it is the latter then you need to press it, otherwise it seems like the manager is just doing its job and balancing the workload as per your preferences.

Hope this helps,
MacDitch
Image Image
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

The button says "No New Tasks" which means it should be downloading work units right? It's the same as the Seti one and I get units for that.

I'm not sure why it would need to balance anything out because it's the same setup I've been running for weeks now and it's been fine.
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

The button says "No New Tasks" which means it should be downloading work units right?
Yep.
It's the same as the Seti one and I get units for that.

I'm not sure why it would need to balance anything out because it's the same setup I've been running for weeks now and it's been fine.
The system is quite complex (looking at Long Term Debts, Short Term Debts and current deadlines as a minimum) but does seem to work in the long run... :?

I can only guess that either (i)SETI is short on actually computing time compared with the split you've specified or (ii) The manager has calculated that it needs to dedicate time to the SETI work to make sure it finishes in time.

Whatever the cause of the hiccup I wouldn't worry about it too much, it'll sort itself out. I only ever seem to have work for about half of my projects, but the credits seem to keep going up on all of them. :)
Image Image
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

I've set it to not take any new work units for the moment, will try again a bit later to see if it's working.

In the meantime I think I will add another project into the mix so it's doing something other than just Seti. I'm not sure what I will choose yet though.
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Correct...showing "No new tasks" means that the project is allowed to collect new tasks. This means Boinc is following it's own schedule in order to achieve both your preferences and the projects needs.

Assuming you have not had an Long Term Debt corruption (highly unlikely without either tinkering or other weird symptoms on the machine), take a look at your project settings. Has anything changed?

Something else not to overlook, Seti might have downloaded short deadline WU's. Sort the tasks by report deadline and see if that makes any sense. My guess is that you will see several short deadline Seti units ahead of the Rosetta units. It's possible that Boinc will refuse to download anymore Rosetta until your short term debt (ie project priorities) are met. Eventually short term debt is cancelled out by long term debt, so if I'm right and these are short deadline WU's, after so many of them Boinc recognises that Rosetta has not been getting it's required share and tips the balance back.
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

I've still no idea why I'm not getting Rosetta units. Haven't had any now for days so I added ABC to the project list it downloaded some and passed them back but now I'm not getting those either.

At the moment it is still only crunching Seti units and I have no idea why. My ratios are 60/20/20 for Seti/Rosetta/ABC. I'm not sure if this is why but I would have thought I would have had some Rosetta at least.

I think this has lead to a drop in my credits as Seti is currently sitting with over 3k pending credit and some units can take quite a while before being awarded credit as it has to wait for the other person to complete the unit too.
sneakysaurus

Post by sneakysaurus »

Something odd going on there Dark.

I would suspend all projects in manager then shutdown and restart. On starting up just restart Rosetta and see what happens, if ok restart ABC than if still ok restart Seti and closley watch what happens.
If on restart you don't start to get Rosetta tasks and they don't start running when only it is active, let us know.

In my limited expeirence of Bonic issues I have seen a few strange things happen with projects but i always put them down to some WCG tasks pausing. Anyway suspending projects, restarting then starting projects one at a time has always sorted things out.

Let us know how you get on.
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

Darkmast2,

Try running Boinc DebtView to check what your STD/LTDs are. If you don't want to install BDV, then you can do this by manually checking the client_state file (being careful not to change anything!) in notepad or an xml viewer.

You'll probably find that SETI has a high debt and your 60% weighting is causing the manager to focus entirely on SETI whilst it reduces this debt.

If you post back with the numbers we'll at least be able to get a better idea of what is going on.

cheers,
MacDitch
Image Image
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

What line in the file am I looking for ? There's a lot of information in there.

Do I need to look in the file on my home pc or will the work one be fine ?
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

What line in the file am I looking for ? There's a lot of information in there.
I assume you mean in the client_state? For each project you need to find the lines:

Code: Select all

<short_term_debt>x.xxxxxx</short_term_debt>
    <long_term_debt>x.xxxxxx</long_term_debt>
    <resource_share>x.xxxxxx</resource_share>
although as you know the last you don't strictly need to find it. If you are using notepad the simplest way to do this is to 'Find' each occurence of the word debt in the file.
Do I need to look in the file on my home pc or will the work one be fine ?
The details are unique to every machine, so whatever one has the problem (I assume the home one..) is the one you need to check on.
Image Image
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

I'll check that when I get home this evening. I usually have VNC running but it's down at the moment it seems.
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

Right I have the program run and this is what it's saying.

PRJ: ABC@HOME STD: -1647.710938 LTD: -5383.287092 RSRC: 250 -------------------------------
PRJ: ROSETTA@HO STD: -9.703125 LTD: -3587.008746 RSRC: 250 -------------------------------
PRJ: SETI@HOME STD: 1657.414063 LTD: 8970.295838 RSRC: 750 -------------------------------

I've also come home to see 2 ABC units and 2 Rosetta units sitting in the queue.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rosetta”