Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

Post by utopia-i »

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/for ... =true#4818

optimized app - credit etc - long but essential reading :roll:
... is that apple pie I smell

Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

I've been reading it for a couple of days. It started out as a bit of a rant, but it turns out that the app in question is, shall we say, highly questionable.

Milkyway has no quorum, so the validator just checks that the result matches certain basic parameters and awards fixed credit if it does.

His app was returning results after just 2-3 minutes, that on an overclocked Q6600 still took me 6 hours on the stock app.

Even if the allegations can't be proven, it certainly appears that something was "fishy".

I'm all for optimised apps. Getting the same science done in less time is good the the project and good for us crunchers (no pun intended). But when advantage is taken and results of highly dubious nature are returned and granted credit, it leave a sour taste to say the least. It also harms the project, which is why the project admins stepped in.

IMHO, if the science app was open source, then the optimised app should have been too. That way it would have been open to inspection and validation amongst peers. Now, it just looks like a plain old falsehood. :x
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Hmm, Crunch3r and his optimised apps have been around long enough to establish his bona fides. I'd hesitate to regard him as a cheat. I agree that he should leave his code open to scruitiny (and improvement) but maybe also the project should be checking the results more thoroughly? If they had an effective quorum and validation system then they would know straight away if an app was just returning sh*te and claiming the credit!

Anyone know where I can download the optimised MW client? :lol:
Willie the Megacruncher
Buster Gunn
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Buster Gunn »

It looks like there is only an optimized app for Macs, not Windows.

There will be a new app released by MW shortly (within a week, they say) so any optimized app would be useless after that, until the new app is jazzed up.

The whole discussion on the MW thread was a joke. Open source is just that, open source. The devs want you to optimized their apps.

I used to optimize apps for a living, albeit COBOL. Made me financially independent and allowed me to retire at the age of 50. If anyone ever releases an app in COBOL, we will be the first with that optimized app.
Buster is my dog. Sadly, Buster is gone.
Buster is the Malamute, Obi is the Golden.

Obi is the dog of the house now.
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

If anyone ever releases an app in COBOL, we will be the first with that optimized app.
Pity we don't have punched card readers to feed the program in though :lol:
Buster Gunn
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Buster Gunn »

Pity we don't have punched card readers to feed the program in though
I miss the punched cards. Paper cuts abounded. :D
Buster is my dog. Sadly, Buster is gone.
Buster is the Malamute, Obi is the Golden.

Obi is the dog of the house now.
utopia-i

Post by utopia-i »

ah ah .. those wonder years --- geez those time make me feel real old :roll: I must confess to shuffling a few packs of cards, that pesky card reader still haunts me and as for paper tapes .... that sinking feeling when the spool came off the reel at 100mph!! as for magnetic tapes ... just don't get me started ... kids today, what with USB memory drives in all shapes and sizes and colors .. life must be easy :lol:

utopia-i

Post by utopia-i »

Buster Gunn wrote:It looks like there is only an optimized app for Macs, not Windows.
Indeed and there is an optimized one for my Mac Pro ... so, all in the name of science ...

results ..
Standard ...Success Done 20,446.65 159.92 260.00 5.7 hours 45.61pph
Optimized ...Success Done 10,966.56 85.78 139.29 3.1 hours 44.93pph
how interesting is that then?

back to WCG :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “MilkyWay”