Seti@Home End of an era.

Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#1 Seti@Home End of an era.

Post by Alez »

Guess we can all post a farewell to the grand daddy project of BOINC. Loved or hated, it's been around for a age. I've crunched it on and off for 21 years.

SETI@home member since 18 Jul 1999

On March 31, the volunteer computing part of SETI@home will stop distributing work and will go into hibernation.

We're doing this for two reasons:

1) Scientifically, we're at the point of diminishing returns; basically, we've analyzed all the data we need for now.

2) It's a lot of work for us to manage the distributed processing of data. We need to focus on completing the back-end analysis of the results we already have, and writing this up in a scientific journal paper.

However, SETI@home is not disappearing. The web site and the message boards will continue to operate. We hope that other UC Berkeley astronomers will find uses for the huge computing capabilities of SETI@home for SETI or related areas like cosmology and pulsar research. If this happens, SETI@home will start distributing work again. We'll keep you posted about this.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#2 Re: Seti@Home End of an era.

Post by Megacruncher »

Hopefully it'll be back.
It wasn't a particularly large part of my crunching in recent years, but in 1999 it was the only game in town.
21 years for me too Alez - just 2 days separate our sign up dates!
Willie the Megacruncher
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#3 Re: Seti@Home End of an era.

Post by Alez »

Megacruncher wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:20 pm 21 years for me too Alez - just 2 days separate our sign up dates!
and we were both members of Scotlands Seti ! although of course, you stayed and built it into the team it is today. :clap:
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#4 Re: Seti@Home End of an era.

Post by Alez »

SETI@home is in hibernation.
We are no longer distributing tasks. The SETI@home message boards will continue to operate, and we'll continue working on the back-end data analysis. Maybe we'll even find ET!

Thanks to everyone for your support over the years. We encourage you to keep crunching for science.

Project has officially been retired by BAM, but think I'll leave it here for a wee bit yet.
Miklos M
Butterfly Whisperer / Milkweeder

#5 Re: Seti@Home End of an era.

Post by Miklos M »

Alez wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:36 pm
Megacruncher wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:20 pm 21 years for me too Alez - just 2 days separate our sign up dates!
and we were both members of Scotlands Seti ! although of course, you stayed and built it into the team it is today. :clap:
I am wearing my 20 year Tee-shirt from SETI. I recall when I started in 1999 on a very big and very old Dell computer, and I had a telephone line download only in those days. It was 5 cents a minute.
SETI@home member since 5 May 1999 :-)
Miklos M

#6 Re: Seti@Home End of an era.

Post by Miklos M »

Miklos M wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:13 pm
Alez wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:36 pm
I am wearing my 20 year Tee-shirt from SETI. I recall when I started in 1999 on a very big and very old Dell computer, and I had a telephone line download only in those days. It was 5 cents a minute.
SETI@home member since 5 May 1999 :-)
Total credit 136,115,648
Recent average credit 72.76
SETI@home classic workunits 26,955
SETI@home classic CPU time 118,947 hours
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#7 Re: Seti@Home End of an era.

Post by Alez »

That's Seti officially retired on the forum.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “SETI”