Optimised Seti Client

Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#1 Optimised Seti Client

Post by Megacruncher »

This really works.
If you are crunching Seti then this will let you crunch it 2 or 3 times as fast as using the standard client. Can't be bad!

Find it, and instructions on how to use it, here!
Willie the Megacruncher
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

I've heard about optimized clients but I don't think I fully understand them. I read the install instructions it came with and seems simple enough.

Anyone tried this yet ?

Edit: Just had a look and I don't have a projects folder inside the BOINC folder, is it hidden somewhere ?
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

On Seti, optomised apps have been round for a few years now. They are checked against stock applications and released into the wild if they prove to be accurate enough.

Although not officially supported by the project, they are certainly welcomed and the Boinc infrastructure was designed for this purpose.

I ran Seti opto for quite a while and as Megacruncher suggests they can make a huge difference. It's quite a while since I ran Seti, so I can't vouch for the current round of apps from KWSN Chicken etc, but they are a fun way of improving you project output.

Some other projects do not have open source code, so they do not have optomised apps per se. However, some lucky projects do receive support fom the community and build optimisations into their publicly released science apps.

Just make sure you take a full backup copy of your data directory before playing with the app_info.xml file. Several times in the past I trashed a full cache by trying to be too clever. :roll:

To find your projects folder, use Windows search and look for whichever projects you are running. On version 5 clients it was in the Boinc directory. Version 6 changed this. On XP its at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BOINC........somewhere different on Vista and different again on Linux.
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

Everything seems to be running fine. I've noticed that the units I have at the moment range from 13 minutes estimated time to 49 minutes.

Is this a result of the optimized client or are these units shorter for some reason from Seti ?
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “SETI”