Wanless Mersenne +2
Forum rules
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#1 project server

Post by davidbam »

http://bearnol.is-a-geek.com/wanless2/

Bearnol needs to get even geekier as this server seems to be unavailable with annoying regularity
WEP-M+2 Project
Database Error
Unable to connect to database - please try again later
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 Re: project server

Post by davidbam »

If I lose crunched work during this latest failure then it'll be the 3rd time this year & I'll be outta here

I'd like to support a UK project but not at the expense of wasting completed WU with such regularity
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#3 Re: project server

Post by Dirk Broer »

Looks like you should offer to run the project server on one of your Threadrippers in order to maintain serviceability...
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#4 Re: project server

Post by Dirk Broer »

davidbam wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:49 am If I lose crunched work during this latest failure then it'll be the 3rd time this year & I'll be outta here

I'd like to support a UK project but not at the expense of wasting completed WU with such regularity
There seems to be a new spell of unavailableness at the Wanless server
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#5 Re: project server

Post by Dirk Broer »

Dirk Broer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:50 am
davidbam wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:49 am If I lose crunched work during this latest failure then it'll be the 3rd time this year & I'll be outta here

There seems to be a new spell of unavailableness at the Wanless server
And not just a spell: it's curtains. Bearnol has retired, his server is crashed.
Hi Dirk,
Thanks very much for your concern. Actually I’m fine thanks - hope you are too - though project is no more
Regards,
James
and
You’re right, the server has crashed - probably beyond repair - and although I have replacement servers available (and even a very recent backup), I think the time has come really to move on, much as I’ve enjoyed my time with BOINC…
There are other factors of P2203 already known, and theoretically we could/could have found them, as well as possibly even some new one(s), but I have been gradually coming to realise that my algo would really only work significantly better on larger numbers, and given that I’m close to retirement anyway I didn’t quite have the energy to change the setup on the server to target a larger M+2 — maybe I’ve just grown too attached to P2203 over the years :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Wanless”