COLLATZ

Forum rules
steve

#1 COLLATZ

Post by steve »

At last a NVidia GPU project that those of us with lower spec Graphics cards can do! (As well as faster cards.)

A 8400GS can do these in around 2-3 hours, the 9800GT does them in 13 minutes.

You should get around 70-80 credits/WU.

http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

....and they have standard cpu, optomised cpu, cuda and ATI/CAL apps.

Might give this a try when I get time to play.
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#3 When

Post by jockmacmad2 »

I also might try it when I power up the hybrid nVidia, ATI machine.

Just need the KVM /sigh.
steve

#4 Re: When

Post by steve »

jockmacmad2 wrote:I also might try it when I power up the hybrid nVidia, ATI machine.

Just need the KVM /sigh.

KVM or is it KW/h
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

lol both.
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Hmm some varied timings here.

I7 920 at stock = 2hrs for a WU for 80 credits.
GTX-295 at stock = 12-15 mins for 80 credits
ATI 4850 at stock = approx. 2.5 hours .... running the 'Optimized' x64_cal app. This seems to run the 1.10 WU same as the CPU rather than the 1.11 on CUDA.
UBT - Mikee
Boinc Private
Boinc Private

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Ahem....

You could have said 'quote' first!

http://forum.ukboincteam.com/viewtopic.php?t=4335
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

It sems Collatz has been down for a while and I have finished my stockpile of CUDA units. Just a meagre 133 sat waiting to be returned.

With this and Milkyway's go slow over the past 48 hours izzah suffering RACing pains.

Ahh well at least if its slow I dont feel so bad about being 4 GPUs down and an i7 outta action due to more gremlins killing a MB and 4850x2. At least the second 4850 is saved.

I need Rentakill to kill my Gremlins I think.
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

One thing I did notice, one Collatz WU took about 12 min 45 sec on each of my gtx 260's with all CPU cores busy running WCG tasks. When I disabled all CPU tasks the time taken for the GTX260's to run a Collatz WU dropped to approx' 6 min 20 sec (if I remember rightly). By my very rough estimation this would give a fairly good return.

Has anybody else seen this ? It would seem that Collatz CUDA tasks are still very processor dependant
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Is it the fact the CPU's are busy and therefore throttling the GPU or are ou suffering the GTX-260 speed issue where the actual GPU clocks get throttled I wonder.

I forget the location but somewhere on GPUGrid there is an explanation of the second and how to resolve it. But I'd guess in this case it might be the first.
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

Jockmacmad2

Thanks for your feedback.

I had forgotten NVIDIA's old gem of effectively "speed stepping" to conserve power. But I am checking the clocks with GPU-Z and NVIDIA monitoring tool, and no change in clock speed showing.

I will look further into this just to prove to myself that clocks are not affected.

What had kicked this off was that I had notice a gain of maybe 5-10 % in my GPUGRID WU's when the GPU's had full use of the CPU's. This would more or less cover the credits lost by not running the WCG WU's. But there is a significant saving in power used by the CPU..... :idea:
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Yes, you can use Riva Tuner to force the clocks (and fans for that matter), but you also need to tell Riva that you are using a driver that is OK.

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/423880- ... cking.html

Don't forget to set load on boot and one thing in the above article misses out is that to make sure you don't enter the driver version in Hex (little button marked 0xD/0xA when editing the registry)!

I'm still not convinced that it works, the clocks on my GTX260 under XP still seems skittish on Seti, while Collatz appears off-line, and for the life of me I can't run GPUGrid any more.
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Sorry for replying to my own post.....

It definitely is still down clocking even after following the above procedure. Came into the office this morning and the GTX260 is running at 400MHz while crunching Seti :(

No news on Collatz, ho hum.
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

and for the life of me I can't run GPUGrid any more.

There appears to be an on going problem with some gtx 260's not running the new cuda 2.2 WU's. This is not something that I have experienced myself. Although my other machine with an 8800GT was failing all WU's until I reverted to the 185.16 driver (or there abouts :? ). The only problem the 8800GT has now is my eldest taking over for his on-line activities :roll:

I used Riva Tuner quite a bit in the past. It was usefull for switching on the "redundant" cores on my 7600GT. I know there are redundant cores on the GTX260 as it is effectively a crippled GTX280, but I think they are hardware disabled as opposed to software in the video card BIOS. Something else for me to dig into. It would be nice if they could be switched on :twisted:
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Is your 260 a 192 or 216 shader model?

Mine is a 192 and GPUGrid is a no no.
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

216 shaders. XFX GTX260's factory clocked to 680 MHz core & 1466 MHz on the shaders.
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

I've just dropped back to 185.85 drivers on the GTX260. It means I won't get the Cuda 2.3 speedup, but it should mean the clocks are a bit more stable. If that's right, it's a trade off between underclocking, or loosing speed.

Collatz is back, I might try it on that too :wink:
jockmacmad2

#18 From the Collatz site ....

Post by jockmacmad2 »

The number with the most steps so far is 2,361,183,863,442,119,416,993 with 2,059 steps which has been confimed by the server. The two individuals who found the above number are Top Viking and Merlyn. Congrats!
steve

#19 Re: From the Collatz site ....

Post by steve »

jockmacmad2 wrote:
The number with the most steps so far is 2,361,183,863,442,119,416,993 with 2,059 steps which has been confimed by the server. The two individuals who found the above number are Top Viking and Merlyn. Congrats!

WHAT!

I'm Famous or is it Infamous?
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Changing tack a little, I guess those who are crunching it are aware that Collatz is down.

Any rumours about when it may be back? My GTX260 will run dry overnight :?
steve

Post by steve »

MYsql Database corrupted may be down for sometime
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

Any rumours about when it may be back? My GTX260 will run dry overnight
Milkyway CUDA runs superb on the GTX260. Gives me a better return than GPUGRID. I would say about 38k on my pair of 260's a opposed to 32k for GPUGRID.
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Collatz home page

September 9, 12:31 CST
The database has been moved back to the original server due to numerous connection issues. Hopefully, it is back in business for good this time.
Lock and load.....

8)
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Collatz seems to working okay except they aren't exporting Stats yet. Once they are some of us (such as me :D ) can expect a nice wee boost!

I've found the return to be similar to GPUGrid with the main advantage being that GPUGrid WUs seem to be awful prone to errors on all but my newest 260.
Willie the Megacruncher
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Overnight Collatz has upgraded to a new app that requires CUDA 2.3. It is also much faster hence they have reduced the credits awarded to existing WU's. My GTX260 was only earning around 60 credits per hour this morning:shock:

See the dramatic effect here: My Collatz in Temujin's stats

You should abort any pre-exisitng WU's. They will be re-issued on the new app.

The thread in the Collatz forum is over 100 posts long already and that's in less than a day!

http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/fo ... .php?id=68

The new app running CUDA 2.3 requires upgraded drivers, minimum 190.38. I'm downloading 190.62 now, but also I'm worried. Last time I tried that on GPU Grid I encountered the Nvidia downclock bug and couldn't fix it.

/Edit

If upgrading from 185.xx etc, you need to reset the project to force download of a new cudart.dll.

It's running, I'll keep an eye on the downclocking.

/Edit #2
Holy crunchathon batman! The first WU completed with 785 credit for a little under 30 minutes wall time, that means 43k per day!

Still running at stock clock speed too....no downclocking yet
ianmbaker2
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

Post by ianmbaker2 »

I've just recently (this week) started running Collatz. The reduction in credit I saw when I got in from work was frightening till I tried the new app for it. I was surprised that it ran OK on my 9800GT, as MWGPU tells me it isn't CUDA 2.3 compatible. Collatz is giving me 500+ credits for 35 mins on each WU. That's worth about 18k a day for me.

I can see a shortage of WUs on this project when word gets out!

Ian
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

Its sweet.....546 credits for 19 minutes work, So two cards X 42138 credits per day, Thats doubled my ouyput :-)
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

The Collatz Bonanza continues!
I've averaged 166K per day over the last week for Collatz! On NVidia & ATI alike it is superb. :D :D :D
Willie the Megacruncher
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

#29 Errors on Collatz

Post by aardvark »

I'm getting about a 30% fail on Collatz work units (CUDA 2.3), most fail within first minute or two, but some fail when almost completed. Has anybody else got this issue ?
Could be a driver issue, I'm using the latest NVIDIA drivers.
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

#30 Sorted

Post by aardvark »

I had a look on the Collatz forum, one suggested fix was a "reset" of the project, So I tried that and now its "jist like a boucht een". Not one failure since reset, and heaps of pending credits to come :twisted:
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Excellent. Resetting is always a good thing to try first- so much quicker and less risky than upgrading your drivers or client!
Willie the Megacruncher
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

#32 Collatz server down

Post by aardvark »

Looks like the Collatz server is down, first noticed about ten minutes ago. Hope it comes back up soon :?
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#33 Re: Collatz server down

Post by Megacruncher »

Looks like the Collatz server is down, first noticed about ten minutes ago. Hope it comes back up soon :?
I certainly hope so - Collatz is our biggest project just now, providing 85% of our current credit!
Willie the Megacruncher
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

#34 Cllatz Back up

Post by aardvark »

Back up again. Perhaps it was a service period ?
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

I got a problem with Collatz on one of my machines. Or should I say I have a problem with drivers. Keep getting the message that I need to upgrade my driver on the NVIDIA card. Only problem being that NVIDIA do not suport Windoze 2000. Anyone know hw to get round this, because at the moment, nothing will run on that computer GPU wise
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

Looks like a change of OS is needed :shock:

You could always try Linux, or see if anybody has an old copy of XP etc that they no longer use.
Other than that I can't think of anything that would work. Windows 7 is on sale to students for £30, so if you know any students that may be able to help. All that is needed is a registered Uni' email address.
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

might try linux, is ubuntu the best/simplest system to install? 32 or 64? Grr. I hate being new to things lol
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

NVidia don't officially have CUDA drivers for W2K but I always found that the WXP 32 bit ones worked fine in my, only recently retired, W2K cruncher.
Willie the Megacruncher
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

Megacruncher wrote:NVidia don't officially have CUDA drivers for W2K but I always found that the WXP 32 bit ones worked fine in my, only recently retired, W2K cruncher.
Thank you, managed to find an XP driver that worked, back crunching Collatz again :)
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

is this project up or down right now? trying to get some CUDA love going on here after getting peeved with gpu grid and i cant see the web site.
ianmbaker2
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

Post by ianmbaker2 »

Yep, Collatz has crashed and burned. I don't think it could stand the strain of all the ex-MW crunchers hitting it for tasks for their ATI cards.

Ian
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

Collatz now back online, here come the credits :D
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

The problems with Collatz were a triple whammy of basic instability, too many Milkyway refugees & their chief server-kicker going on holiday for 2 weeks.

He came back just as I was resigned to switching the nVidias to Seti and having the ATIs idle.

The credits are a trickle rether than a torrent so far but hopefully we will get a few million from it later today.
Willie the Megacruncher
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

There go my first CUDA WUs on a MAC OS X system thanks to the guys on Collatz :D

Not that I'll be impressing anybody it's only a 9600M GT and it basically means I have to reduce the CPU unit's to one at a time so as not to fry the keyboard... :roll:
Anchula-Mark

Post by Anchula-Mark »

Collatz is back up but you need a boinc restart

The power is back on, and the network is now up as well. For the next week or so, Collatz will be testing an alternate Internet provider. That means that the IP address has changed so you will need to restart your BOINC client in order to upload your results and get more work. I would appreciate any feedback as to how well the new connection is working or not working, whichever the case may be.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Collatz Conjecture”