Primegrid 2020 Challenge #3

Forum rules
Gibson Praise
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

#1 Primegrid 2020 Challenge #3

Post by Gibson Praise »

So once again the PG challenge is overlapping a FB sprint and thats where I expect all the activity will be. Meanwhile, this time PG starts first and I can hope to chip in a bit to the FB sprint at the end (presuming FB is also a CPU project). If FB is GPU then things might dovetail.

The bureaucratic details:

Date: 01-Apr-2020 12:00 UTC, to 04-April-2020 12:00 UTC.
Project: llrTPS (CPU only) Sophie Germains' Birthday ( she is 244 and not looking a day over 150! )

As with all PG Challenges, only workunits downloaded after the start of the challenge and completed and returned by the end of the challenge are valid (double-check validation not required).

This is the 3rd of 9 challenges this year, ( http://www.primegrid.com/challenge/challenge.php ). There will not be another PG challenge till late June.

This is an LLR project so running with HT off or at 1/2 threads is best. Unlike other LLR projects at PG, here you should almost always run just one thread/core to an SGS task. Even then tasks will take a short time (under 20 minutes to under 10 minutes with recent cpus).

This is the section of the app_config.xml file that I use for SGS on an 8-core machine: (please note the name as llrTPS not llrSGS .. no I don't know why; and that this app_config fragment is forcing a multi-thread of 1).

Code: Select all

<app>
    <name>llrTPS</name>		<!-- Sophie Germain -->
    <max_concurrent>8</max_concurrent>
    <fraction_done_exact>1</fraction_done_exact>
    <report_results_immediately>1</report_results_immediately>
  </app>

<app_version>
    <app_name>llrTPS</app_name>
    <plan_class>mt</plan_class>
    <cmdline>-t 1</cmdline>
    <avg_ncpus>1</avg_ncpus>
  </app_version>
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 Re: Primegrid 2020 Challenge #3

Post by davidbam »

Thank you @Gibson Praise

Yes, FB takes precedence for me I'm afraid. I just wish that PG would make the effort to avoid FB Sprints although I appreciate that FB means little or nothing to many others
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Gibson Praise
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

#3 Re: Primegrid 2020 Challenge #3

Post by Gibson Praise »

davidBAM wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:38 am I just wish that PG would make the effort to avoid FB Sprints although I appreciate that FB means little or nothing to many others
I've been thinking on that (idly, with all my extra CoronaTime (tm)) .. and I just don't see it. Even with goodwill from all parties :lol: (PG, FB and Pentathlon) it would be a scheduling/co-ordinating nightmare that I would not want to inflict on people I actively dislike, much less someone I trusted to do the job right. I'm frankly amazed that PG and FB have agreed to let the Pentathlon have its space ( and with the recent changing of the admin guard at PG, the first iteration of the schedule had to be amended for just that problem ).

I just don't see it happening :violin:
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#4 Re: Primegrid 2020 Challenge #3

Post by davidbam »

good luck on the PG challenge @Gibson Praise @Granowski
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Granowski
Marathon Man, Morale Officer, Prime Mover

#5 Re: Primegrid 2020 Challenge #3

Post by Granowski »

davidBAM wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:54 am good luck on the PG challenge @Gibson Praise @Granowski
greetings and warm welcome ... i will not compete in PG challenge ... I am into S o B WU ... and actually have passed a 1000 wu ...

good luck to all TSBT comepetitors !

sincerely, Gregg Roman Granowski ...
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#6 Re: Primegrid 2020 Challenge #3

Post by scole of TSBT »

I'm in!
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#7 Re: Primegrid 2020 Challenge #3

Post by davidbam »

Gibson Praise wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:09 am This is the section of the app_config.xml file that I use for SGS on an 8-core machine: (please note the name as llrTPS not llrSGS .. no I don't know why; and that this app_config fragment is forcing a multi-thread of 1).
You will find this on the app_config deployment menu on btsk - just edit the 8 before submitting. You can deploy to any number of instances at the same time
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#8 Re: Primegrid 2020 Challenge #3

Post by davidbam »

I am putting a few machines on this now too
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#9 Re: Primegrid 2020 Challenge #3

Post by davidbam »

DANG !! It runs hot
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#10 Re: Primegrid 2020 Challenge #3

Post by scole of TSBT »

Yes, most llr apps do. Although it won't help total credit (I don't think), turning off hyperthreading or setting the CPU affinity on the llr app to only use the physical cores will help reduce temps. Doing that will complete WUs faster but not enough to make up for running on half the possible threads.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#11 Re: Primegrid 2020 Challenge #3

Post by davidbam »

seeing 30min on a 2990wx so I wonder if it is thermal throttling ?
Gibson Praise
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

#12 Re: Primegrid 2020 Challenge #3

Post by Gibson Praise »

you might want to try running 2 threads to a workunit. Less throughput by a bit but it might run cooler. My i9 is running quite warm with 8 threads. When I run 8 threads to a workunit for other LLR it runs cooler. I wish I had better data than simply noticing the fans running much louder, but that's what I got.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#13 Re: Primegrid 2020 Challenge #3

Post by scole of TSBT »

davidBAM wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:00 am seeing 30min on a 2990wx so I wonder if it is thermal throttling ?
Some throttling but not bad time.
Gibson Praise
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

#14 Re: Primegrid 2020 Challenge #3

Post by Gibson Praise »

Well the extra help is showing! From the mid-twenties to the mid-teens in team score. :clap: Our contributors so far: @scole of TSBT (who just passed me, making my hold on a top 50 position very tenuous), @davidBAM , @Hal Bregg and @John McLean.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#15 Re: Primegrid 2020 Challenge #3

Post by davidbam »

Granowski

#16 Re: Primegrid 2020 Challenge #3

Post by Granowski »

davidBAM wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:15 am I found a prime :D http://www.primegrid.com/workunit.php?wuid=652743219
Congratulations !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “PrimeGrid”