Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#1 Einstein@Home project details

Post by Alez »

Einstein@Home

https://einsteinathome.org/

About us

Einstein@Home is a World Year of Physics 2005 and an International Year of Astronomy 2009 project. It is supported by the American Physical Society (APS), the US National Science Foundation (NSF), the Max Planck Society (MPG), and a number of international organizations.

Einstein@Home uses your computer's idle time to search for weak astrophysical signals from spinning neutron stars (often called pulsars) using data from the LIGO gravitational-wave detectors, the Arecibo radio telescope, and the Fermi gamma-ray satellite. Einstein@Home volunteers have already discovered about fifty new neutron stars, and we hope to find many more.

Our long-term goal is to make the first direct detections of gravitational-wave emission from spinning neutron stars. Gravitational waves were predicted by Albert Einstein a century ago, and were directly seen for the first time on September 14, 2015. This observation of gravitational waves from a pair of merging black holes opens up a new window on the universe, and ushers in a new era in astronomy.

This first direct measurement was made soon after the advanced LIGO instruments came online after an extensive five-year upgrade. These advanced detectors took data between September 2015 and January 2016 and can already "see" three to six times as far as initial LIGO, depending upon the source type. Over the next two years this will increase to a factor of ten or more, increasing the number of potentially-visible gravitational-wave sources by a factor of a thousand!

To learn more about Einstein@Home, please explore the links under "Publications" above.

Thank you for your interest. If you want to participate, please follow the "Join Einstein@Home" instructions below. It takes just a minute or two to sign up, and little or no maintenance to keep Einstein@Home running. Einstein@Home is available for Windows, Linux and Macintosh OS X computers, and Android devices.

Bruce Allen
Director of Einstein@Home; Director, MPI for Gravitational Physics, Hannover; Professor of Physics, U. of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 Re: Einstein@Home project details

Post by davidbam »

How can I get Einstein to send me only GPU work units please? It seems to lack the usual Preferences options

I guess I could abort all cpu jobs as I get them but that seems a little irresponsible

Edit : wottan eejit - it is there under Preferences > Project
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#3 Re: Einstein@Home project details

Post by Hal Bregg »

Seems to be there. I haven't got compatible GPU so I can't tell for sure.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#4 Re: Einstein@Home project details

Post by davidbam »

Yeah - I always trip up on Einstein - seems to be laid out differently. Enough to confuse this guy :oops: :oops:
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#5 Re: Einstein@Home project details

Post by Alez »

Yes they use drogal or something for their entire site, so all the usual BOINC stuff is not usual. Very confusing to use.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#6 Re: Einstein@Home project details

Post by davidbam »

drupal ?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#7 Re: Einstein@Home project details

Post by Alez »

Yes that's the one.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#8 Re: Einstein@Home project details

Post by davidbam »

I have to do a bit of Drupal in one of my day-job projects. It is a fine system, I'm sure, but you have to immerse yourself in it completely and relinquish all worldly possessions and familial contact.

If I was as good at it as some people evidently are, then I'm sure I would be singing its praises from every hilltop
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#9 Re: Einstein@Home project details

Post by Alez »

Nothing wrong with the site, just that everything is in a different place from pretty much every other boinc project.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Einstein”