computation errors on Atlas

LHC@Home (formarly classic ) Home to all CERN based projects. LHC@Home is now the main overall project for all the various subprojects ran by CERN
Forum rules
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#1 computation errors on Atlas

Post by davidbam »

Linux with virtualbox on 2990wx

Atlas WU give immediate computation errors :(
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#2 Re: computation errors on Atlas

Post by scole of TSBT »

what distro and version of linux?
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#3 Re: computation errors on Atlas

Post by davidbam »

ubuntu 19.04
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#4 Re: computation errors on Atlas

Post by Bryan »

Setup and do the install to run Native Atlas and Theory.

See 1st post HERE. Then do what is in message 38783 to install singularity. Then in the NEWS forum there one needed to update.

If you have VirtualBox installed on the machine then add this to your cc_config and STOP/RESTART BOINC.

<dont_use_vbox>1</dont_use_vbox>

I ran it quite a bit a couple of months ago. Atlas uses 2.8G of memory regardless of how many threads you use. If running Theory put in an app_config that limits it to using 1 thread per WU. The project default is to assign 2 but only 1 gets used.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#5 Re: computation errors on Atlas

Post by davidbam »

TYVM
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#6 Re: computation errors on Atlas

Post by davidbam »

all good except I don't see a project option to select Atlas native. Only Theory native
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#7 Re: computation errors on Atlas

Post by Bryan »

BTW, run Theory and not Atlas unless you install a Squid3 proxy server. Without a caching proxy server the 1st 18 minutes of a Atlas WU are wasted downloading crap from the LHC servers and that is on EVERY WU. If you install a proxy server then the startup time drops to 3 minutes.

The stuff downloaded for a Theory WU is minimal and happens quickly so not a whole lot of wasted time.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#8 Re: computation errors on Atlas

Post by Bryan »

davidBAM wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:59 am all good except I don't see a project option to select Atlas native. Only Theory native
1. You don't want to run Atlas without a proxy server ... see above.
2. That's why you put the command line in your cc_config not to use VBox. Without that if you download a Atlas WU it WILL run under VBox. With that command in place it will run it as Native.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#9 Re: computation errors on Atlas

Post by davidbam »

guess what ... no tasks available for Theory Native

You probably have them all ;)
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#10 Re: computation errors on Atlas

Post by Bryan »

No I don't have the time to dick with any of it so I'm running Sixtrack.

All of the stuff I had setup on Native were on the USB HDDs which I'm not running anymore. I've gone back to the internal HDD and I haven't done the native install of those installations.

Also, when I run Atlas I go beyond my 1TB data limit cap on my internet and it gets expensive in a hurry. The last time I ran it I was on a "complimentary" data overage month. I hit 6TB that month. If I hadn't have installed a proxy server it would have been far beyond that number.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#11 Re: computation errors on Atlas

Post by davidbam »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I had just about reached the same conclusion.

Thanks anyhow
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#12 Re: computation errors on Atlas

Post by davidbam »

I am still baffled though. Atlas simulation running happily in vbox on some machines. Does it pay better than sixtrack?

Also, if I get sixtrack avx and sse2, which ones are best?
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#13 Re: computation errors on Atlas

Post by Bryan »

Atlas or Theory pays MUCH better than Sixtrack and avx is faster than SSE2.

The biggest problem with Atlas VBox is the amount of memory it uses ... bunches and bunches. The native app uses only 2.6G per WU regardless of the number of threads.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#14 Re: computation errors on Atlas

Post by davidbam »

ta
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “LHC”