Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#1 BMG@Home

Post by Alez »

BMG@Home

BMG@Home webpage

About BMG@Home
BMG@Home is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to do research in computational materials science. You can participate by downloading and running a free program on your computer.

BMG@Home is operated by Bradley Dice in collaboration with the O'Hern Research Group.

Learn about the science of BMG@Home

You must install the Microsoft VC++ 2013 Redistributable. (This requirement will be removed in the future.) Install the x86 version as a minimum. If you don't all units will error in 2 secs.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#2 Re: BMG@Home

Post by Alez »

Again I itterate - You must install the Microsoft VC++ 2013 Redistributable. (This requirement will be removed in the future.) Install the x86 version as a minimum. If you don't all units will error in 2 secs.

Project seems to have lots of teething issues. Validation being one :? Run Time estimate is also very flaky. I will report back if I get any valid results. Team is all setup as usual.

From project admin
There are currently a couple of issues that I need to fix that should help reduce the number of WUs that fail almost instantly (I think there's a library dependency on the VC++ 2013 redistributable, which some people do not have). That should help reduce the number of failing wingmen and increase the number of correct validations.

As for the runtime, that's a tricky question! Currently, estimating the runtime of the job is rather difficult. There is a physical transition being simulated, where the liquid structure undergoes jamming. However, the precise time of when that transition occurs is not easily predictable (which is why the computations are being run in the first place)!

I know of some possible improvements that I could implement to make the runtime estimate more accurate, but there's no perfect solution that I am aware of. I intend to put in some of these improvements in the next version of the application.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#3 Re: BMG@Home

Post by Dirk Broer »

According to our Vaughan you need to install both the 32- and 64-bit Visual C++ redistributable (has has some valid results).
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#4 Re: BMG@Home

Post by Alez »

I'll let you know asmy laptop is win 7 x86 so can't install 64 bit version. I had 2005, 2008 , 2010 and 2012 on the system. Made no difference it wouldn't run until I installed 2013.
Others have reported in the message board that the 32 bit flavour is required.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#5 Re: BMG@Home

Post by Bryan »

I already had 32 and 64 bit installed. It downloads a executable that is named as 64 bit but it is running on my system as a 32 bit app.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#6 Re: BMG@Home

Post by Alez »

I have my first unit finished after 5.1 hours. Awaiting validation ..... here's hoping :) but definately looks like you only need the x86 version or it would have failed on my x86 system.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#7 Re: BMG@Home

Post by Bryan »

I got my 100 hour star so now I can kick back and wait for things to stabilize :lol:
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#8 Re: BMG@Home

Post by Alez »

I'll be there at the next update and then I think I will bin these long units until the admin gets back with how long they should actually run and I see if I am actually going to get any credit. Two of the units I am running are now estimating 12 days ??? I am not willing to test a project that has experimental units that run for days and then gives no credit or gives credit screw. We will see. Only on my laptop so no great loss, guess this is the fun of being first in line for new projects, it's all an experiment ...... Image
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#9 Re: BMG@Home

Post by Alez »

One completed after 52 hours the other after 59 hours. Waiting to validate. Progress bar is a waste of time and probabily puts a lot of people off continuing a unit when it starts saying 11 days.
Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#10 Re: BMG@Home

Post by Silver »

I'm 22 hours in with an estimated 6 1/2 days to go so we'll see what happens.
I'm going to do the same as Bryan and hit 100 hours and call it quits.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#11 Re: BMG@Home

Post by Alez »

So was I and then it's .... well one more day and it's silver .......
I think I will complete the 3 I have running and if that makes silver then abort the rest until I actually get credit for the ones I have done. No credit = no work, simples.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#12 Re: BMG@Home

Post by Bryan »

When I was doing the 100 hour thing I did actually finish 1 WU at 5.44 hours. It has validated with 214 credits. So it looks like the project pays about average credits. That's assuming it isn't running Credit New and then it will pay fairly poor.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#13 Re: BMG@Home

Post by Alez »

And looks like project is gone. Yet another crap admin, oh well, BYE.
Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#14 Re: BMG@Home

Post by Silver »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Retired Projects”