AQUQ UK Number 1 in Jepordy!

jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

I'm getting 26k credits for the 200-4M-64 units. Had 3 finish now and they all give the same.
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

[quote]I'm getting 26k credits for the 200-4M-64 units

What type of CPU are these running on, how long did these units take ?
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

AQUA went fixed credit on the evening of the 9th (GPU and CPU Multi-thread WUs get the same credits).

Here is the new credit scheme. at least for the time being.

There has been a big argument between AF and Susa on account of AF getting getting half a billion credits in one day.... :shock:

EDIT:
aardvark wrote:
What type of CPU are these running on, how long did these units take ?
From what I could make out between 12-30 runtime hours on 4/8 core machines (es. Q6600) with 64-bit OSs. They vary a lot though.
Basically it's good news for multi-core CPU crunchers and not so good for GPU crunchers - some are going back to GPUGRID.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

I think the moral is, if you've a GPU point it back at GPUGrid, but let your multi-core CPUs have a shottie at AQUA especially if you are running a 64bit OS (which sadly I'm not at present).

Bizzarrely it seems that even with a 32 bit OS you can get more from a Q6600 CPU than you can from a 260 GPU! The GPU credit/hr isthreatening to significantly, but not disasterously, drop behind GPUGrid so it wouldn't make sense to abort any part-crunched AQUA CUDA units.
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Wow! I just got 75K for an AQUA mt WU which took 3 days on a Q6600. So even if we assume it tied up all 4 cores for 3 days (and it didn't) that works out at 250cr/hr per core. Which is outrageous! :lol:
Willie the Megacruncher
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

Megacruncher wrote:Wow! I just got 75K for an AQUA mt WU which took 3 days on a Q6600. So even if we assume it tied up all 4 cores for 3 days (and it didn't) that works out at 250cr/hr per core. Which is outrageous! :lol:
My bloody E6600 wont get any aqua work, both my dualcore seem to get it all :?

btw, I had to abandon CUDA coz it stopped little things like being able to see the screen.... not recommended for slower graphics cardss methinks
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

My bloody E6600 wont get any aqua work, both my dualcore seem to get it all :?
My first 200-4M WU came in today after 5 days (running CPDN on the same machine). This is a 2GHz Dual Core (T5870) with 32-bit Windows Vista. I confronted it with a couple of MilkyWay WUs run using the optimised SSE3 v0.19 app (closest thing I could think of to the optimised Multi-threaded AQUA app).

AQUA is giving me about 4 times the credit/hour relative to MilkyWay optimised (287cr/runtime hour as opposed to 70cr/runtime hour for optimised MW). Mega is right it is outrageous! :lol:

... thanks to Nightlord's post for the MW idea. (Maybe I should have used the SETI SSE3 app as the benchmark but I had run unoptimised MW before - runs about 2-3 times faster CPU only).
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

There hasn't been any new work on AQUA for a wee while & there won't be until they have finished optimising the various applications to sort out the various - ahem - credit anomalies.

In the meantime Pinkpenguin & I seem to have bigger than average caches of WUs and between us have halved the UBT lead to less than a million. Sadly I only have 2 of the multithreaded one left which will bag me that AQUA million but not do much to restore our UK supremacy.

Hopefully some of the rest of TSBT have some WU in reserve. Failing that we will just have to hope that UBT are as skint AQUA WU-wise as we are!
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Of course Reeltime & John McLean helped too! & we shouldn't really forget the 60% of our AQUA previously contributed by Merlyn! :)
Willie the Megacruncher
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

I'm out - I had four 200-4Ms which came in nicely one after the other in the end and that was largely thanks to Mega's encouragement. :wink:
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Just an update - see home page as well.
http://aqua.dwavesys.com/forum_thread.php?id=245#3320
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

New WUs available for the weekend - only 8qubit (CUDA) and 16qubit (MT) until after the weekend. :)
[Edit]
....here are the some units returned with the new MT app:
http://aqua.dwavesys.com/results.php?hostid=19832
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

New Credit scheme for AQUA:
http://aqua.dwavesys.com/forum_thread.p ... =true#3546

It's the same scheme as used in the 8qubit / 16qubit runs over the week-end which averaged at 104 cr/run time hour for the CPU WUs. This compares with 70 cr/run time hour for MW on the same machine. Each run lasted about 30 mins elapsed time.

(Machine=Core Duo - 2.0Ghz / Windows Vista 32-bit / CPU only).

From the message boards looks like the GPU version requires the latest drivers (v190) to work.
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

New 72qubit CPU/CUDA run started last night - in case anyone's interested.

Please note the new creditt scheme (see previous post) and the following on variable credits based non the number of sweeps:

http://aqua.dwavesys.com/forum_thread.php?id=262
steve

Post by steve »

Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Woo Hoo!!!

As Steve's graph explains we are once again a rather convincing UK #1! :wav:
Our lead has become consolidated over the last 24hrs to a somewhat whopping 750K! :wav:
And AQUA has become our 10th 10 Million credits project! :wav: :wav: :wav:

Well done TSBT dudes & dudettes!
Willie the Megacruncher
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Judging from the results since the 5th August looks like the credit system has been adjusted to MW levels:

Avge credit / run time hour 96-4M units (on or after 5th August): 127
credit / run time hour 128-5M units: 148 (1 unit so far)

This is on a dual-core machine. For MW I can run 2x units at 70 credit / run time hour which amounts to an average of 140 cr/hr on the same machine - more or less equivalent to the AQUA units which now use both cores this makes it more convenient to run them alone rather than share with other projects.

... is this the same for everyone ?
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

I can't say for MW on CPU's, but yes, on Aqua, I noticed a big drop in CPU credit in the last couple of days.

There's a lot of discussion over on their forums about credit adjustments. I think they reduced the CPU credit by a factor of 3, but it is dynamic to say the least.

Can't complain though: curently achieving 13k per day from two dual core boxes. :wink:

P.S......got another ATI card arriving today :twisted:
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

One more ATI arriving today eh.

Better get my motherboard RMAed quick to get my other cards back online as your starting to worry me :)
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Can't complain though: curently achieving 13k per day from two dual core boxes. :wink:
Judging from the way credits are going I suspect that the slow build up of longer work units is weeding out the slower machines... this may include 2-core machines (like mine) which are starting to fall behind.

Looks like quad+-cores w/out CUDA and a good amount of L2 cache are doing much better by a significant factor.

Take a look at TomaszPawel's two messages:
http://aqua.dwavesys.com/forum_thread.p ... =true#4076 and the one immediately following.

At the moment credit is still good and I'm not complaining.... but I think you may like to keep an eye on it as longer run times seem to get less cr/hr.
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

I had to suspend Aqua last night due to MW not playing nicely with LTD and causing mayhem with the scheduler. I think I could knock up a short script to fix that, but don't have time now. :(

Meanwhile, I dropped a Quad core onto Aqua to see what the performance would be like and it picked up a couple of huge 160 qubits. After 6 hours it was only 25% through. For various reasons, I don't want to run that rig 24/7, so I suspended it overnight to take another look this morning.

Long and the short of it is I think you're right as these bigger WU's get released, the dual core's may struggle.
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Looks like they're starting again - While I'm still on my last 160-6M they've cycled back through 8-2Ms and are now back on 32-3Ms..... great, I will probably finish this one in time for the next batch of 160s ! :D
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

For anyone who is still running AQUA - the queue has run dry... probably until after the weekend as they are releasing new apps:

http://aqua.dwavesys.com/forum_thread.php?id=318
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

In a way it's a relief - being able to rededicate my CPU cores to CPDN without thinking I'm missing out on/depriving the team of greater gains. :)
Willie the Megacruncher
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

I agree - last AQUA WU went in yesterday now it's CPDN for the moment.
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

...In case anyone's interested - Looks like AQUA may be about to start up again. They've run a couple of short test runs and if they go well they say they will put up a batch today... (not that there is much left of today) :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Retired Projects”