Coming Back

Greetings to new and old cruncher's all users and guests can see this forum.
leecarver
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#1 Coming Back

Post by leecarver »

Hi All...

After some time away, I'm jumping back into the crunching scene. I'm updating the rig that was in my garage after cannibalizing it (likely going to be putting a cheapo Seagate or WD Sata HDD - but open to recommendations) and am going to have it hooked up at my office so it can run 24/7. Otherwise, the main system (after a PSU update) is plinking away at World Community Grid.

I'm likely going to be setting up the 24/7 rig to use Linux (which I have very little experience with), so if anyone has any recommendations, let me know.

Look forward to seeing you all around the boards again!

- LC
Hardware:
Main CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4 GHz, MSI Z87-G45 mobo, 24 GB DDR3, GTX 770 2GB EVGA, Windows 10
Tablet: NVIDIA Shield Tablet, Stock
Phone: LG G8, Stock
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 Re: Coming Back

Post by davidbam »

Hi Lee - you won't know me but very nice to have you back on.
leecarver wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:08 pm Seagate or WD Sata HDD
Since you asked for recommendations, mine would be a small SSD. They are also pretty cheap and make a massive difference.

All my systems use Ubuntu 19.04 so happy to help with that. https://tsbt.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=10495

Only reason not to IMHO, would be if you also wanted AMD GPU crunching - this is troublesome on recent Linuxes (although Dirk has posted a fix recently). nVidia GPU crunching on Linux is fine
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
leecarver
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#3 Re: Coming Back

Post by leecarver »

Hi David,

I was actually considering that - saw some flash deals this weekend for a 120GB drive. My fear/hesitancy was the read/write life of the SSD drives with as much as BOINC projects do. I take it that is a minimal concern based on your comments?

I'll definitely come to you with questions for Linux. I put a R5770 Hawk in the crunching rig. Should I look at doing Windows instead? I had some other driver issues with the wireless USB adapter with Linux previously that I never really got sorted out. $14 on a copy of Windows 10 isn't that bad.

- LC
Hardware:
Main CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4 GHz, MSI Z87-G45 mobo, 24 GB DDR3, GTX 770 2GB EVGA, Windows 10
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#4 Re: Coming Back

Post by Bryan »

3 of my machines have 120GB SSDs that have been running BOINC 24/7 for 6 years now. I wouldn't be too concerned with reliability.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#5 Re: Coming Back

Post by davidbam »

I think your wireless USB will fail before a recent SSD will, to be honest. (Betcha your wireless USB it is supported under Ubuntu 19.04)

Seems many folks still dual boot: Windows / AMD for the ease of driver configuration / performance & Linux for CPU projects (tends to pay better on most projects). I don't dual boot as Windows is too detrimental to my mental health & takes me out in a rash. I just stay Linux / nVidia throughout but this means I suffer on challenges involving Einstein and MilkyWay (and Gerasim of course)
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
leecarver
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#6 Re: Coming Back

Post by leecarver »

Thanks Bryan and David. I'll go ahead and pick-up a SSD and plan on using Ubuntu. I think scole had recommended I run "funky" or some similarly named project on my Linux machine (purely for stats). Does that mean anything to you all?

Having a helluva a time responding today - site seems to keep crashing with SQL errors.
Hardware:
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#7 Re: Coming Back

Post by davidbam »

WUprop ?
leecarver
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#8 Re: Coming Back

Post by leecarver »

Found the old thread... Scole had suggested running "goofy" on Linux. I knew it was akin to funky or something :)
Hardware:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Welcome”