AMD HD 7990s

Using your nVidia or AMD Graphics card for BOINC computation.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#1 AMD HD 7990s

Post by scole of TSBT »

Do these cards actually perform the same as two HD 7970s? Actual throughput, not spec comparison.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#2 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by Alez »

No idea as I don't own one but my 6990 which is really 2 x 6970's together on the same card act and perform as 2 x 6970's.The run times etc are the same as for my 6970 in a different computer.
Except that it screws up royally if you set use all gpu's in boinc. don't know why but with use all gpu's set to no, boinc still sees the 6990 as 2 x gpu's anyway and uses it as 2 gpu's.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
robmacagain
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#3 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by robmacagain »

Ok so a HD 6990 will be seen as 2 separate cards then,and i don't have to do the editing you mention on another thread is this correct?

A 7990 not 6990 doh!!!
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#4 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by scole of TSBT »

So if you have a HD 6990 and a HD 7970, you should NOT use <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus> in the cc_config.xml file? It will still use all 3 GPUs?
robmacagain

#5 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by robmacagain »

Well yes at the moment i have a 7970 but the 7990 will be arriving tomorrow i hope, its been posted today on Royal Mail 24 tracked and i do not have a X-Fire board and only 1 agp slot, errmm i mean 1 pcie slot lol, agp god thats old init :lol:, so i will be running only the 7990 not the 7970, i'm trying to flog it on the bay atm, its 2 x 7970's on 1 board.
robmacagain

#6 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by robmacagain »

What am i on 100 posts???

Lol i'm now a boincer not a muncher :shock:, who made these names up :lol:.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#7 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by Alez »

Or you could buy a cheap as chips core duo on ebay and run both the 7990 and the 7970 :D
I always thought a boincer was an Ikea mattress tester :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :D
I don't know how the 7990 will act, I do know the 6990 is a weird piece of kit. Equal measures of greatness and shear frustration.
You could also try flogging the 7970 here, sure there might be a few interested if the price was right.
robmacagain

#8 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by robmacagain »

I am definitely no way jose running 2 rigs, too much leccy for my liking, been there done that not going back lol.

The 7970 tis on the bay and peeps are bidding on it although i am a tad worried i wont get what i would like for it to be honest, think i may alter it and put a reserve price on it.

Well after blowing up :shock: my psu, i thought it was a 750 watt one and it wasn't it was a 650 watt but because the label is on the bottom and i couldn't be harrised to take the screws out to look i took my chances got my 7990 proceeded to bench it and BOOM psu bye byes, had to haul my ass up to Scan in Horwich this am to buy me a 850 watt one (only need a 750w really) just to be on the safe side, so were off.

It runs cooler that the 7970 as well 1 core is at 63C and the other is at 72 :).
robmacagain

#9 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by robmacagain »

i was wondering after 24 hours as to why the card was only averaging 17,000 when as a single 7970 it was doing 15,000, so i was expecting at least 28,000 as you would after all its 2 x 7970 on 1 card with 6gb on memory.

:( nobody told me that these cards throttle, so when both are running it drops the clocks to max 950 but the default is 1000 :roll: its to stop it gobbling loads of leccie.

So after googling what was was happening i found that you need to custom flash the bugger :scratch: so i found all the stuff on the net i needed to do it and read it up on how to proceed, so i cracked on but was packing it, it was quite easy after all that, times have gone down from 170 seconds for 8 to about 130 for 8, 40 seconds less :), leccie is now up from 550 watts to 630, who cares its now well better :blah5:

So if your mad enough to buy one and want to know how GOOGLE it :lol:.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#10 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by Alez »

Not sure I am mad enough. :D The 6990 is an awesome piece of kit but it's definitely easier just to stick in to 6970's and be done with it and it doesn't need flashing. Respect for the perseverance, and for the record with a 6990 installed boinc see's the additional 6970 I have installed without the use all gou's being set. Weirdness abounds.
robmacagain

#11 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by robmacagain »

Jeez i have had some fun yesterday avvy, i thought why is one core fast and the other one slow, i had only flashed 1 core :roll:, so in my infinate wisdom i tried to flash the other in windows and it crashed!!!

No card oops,i flashed the wrong bios too the back up one, i had to get ATIFlash and windows 98 boot files and a custom bios and learn how to use it in dos quick style.

Anyway i did it 1st go as it happens, and its now a monster, 8 units in 100 seconds, yep 8 in 100 BOOM BANG A BANG, if you look my average its 30,000+ an hour.

Had to use Sapphire triXX to reduce the core voltage as the heat was ridiculous and down clocked it to 950mhz core as now the frame pacing and throttling has gone its as fast as stink :blob3:.

Was that panicked yesterday i took the 7970 off ebay.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#12 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by Alez »

Sounds awesome, 30k + per /hr on milkyway from 1 GPU is definitely some serious output :D
robmacagain

#13 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by robmacagain »

Well i was running on low clocks (930/1500) until roughly 16:10 and was hitting around 30,000 per hour then i upped them to their default of 1000/1600 and it was hitting 32,000 to 34,000 per hour, so i ran 16 hours of the 24 on low settings and i hit 719,075 credits for the day, so by my reckoning @ roughly 2,000 per hour more if i had ran on default for the day i should have had approx 32,000 extra so 751,075, nae to bad min eh :D , i only ran extra time as i wanted to see what a 24 hour run would do, i'll be back to my 48 hours next time.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#14 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by scole of TSBT »

Rob,

Did you follow the flash instructions from this post? http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showth ... t=18558655

If so, did you have to do anything other than follow the instructions in the first post? There's 11 pages and I'd rather not read them all if not needed.

Thanks,

Dread Pirate Steve
robmacagain

#15 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by robmacagain »

Yes sir, and i only read the 1st post as well,don't do a me and flash the wrong bios lol.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#16 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by scole of TSBT »

Well, I picked up a XFX R7990 for decent price. Looked like new when I got it.

I experienced slower than expected performance too, so I flashed it. Flash worked fine, CCC 13.12 installed fine, but didn't run correctly. Tried several times, but finally had to re-flash with ROMs from XFX. I did get the performance where I wanted it though, by simply using CCC to increase the Power by about 15%. Had to run fans wide open though.

Then Friday night hit. Our company shuts the AC off in the evenings and weekends. With temps here in the 90s and air as thick as pea soup, the office warmed up quickly and so did the gpu, so I had to back it down a bit.

Came in Saturday to see what I could do to get it ramped back up. My office was like a sauna. Had to get the air moving in there. Took the front cover off, moved it away from the wall, setup a small fan, stuck my hand in the bottom of the case to see if I could tell how well air was moving, then...SMACK! A finger touched one of the fans. Suddenly I heard a very bad sound. The fan did not sound right. :shock: Shut er down, pulled out the gpu to have a look and....D@MMIT! Broke off a fan blade! It still works, but I can't run the fan on one GPU any faster than 45% else it starts wobbling.

Can't find a replacement anywhere. Waiting on a response from XFX support. Looking for a broken XFX 7970 or 7990 on Ebay. If you can stop laughing long enough, how about suggestions? (other than keep my hand out of the PC case when the system is running)
Janos (retired)
Still a Newbie

#17 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by Janos (retired) »

scole250 wrote:...then...SMACK! A finger touched one of the fans. Suddenly I heard a very bad sound.
Thought you were about to say you lost a finger! Damn you had me going for a second!
"Happiness can be defined as: a geek with non-work related code to write, no distractions and no deadline." - Janos
Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#18 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by Silver »

Doh :shock:
can I suggest that you keep all of your digits outside the case in future :wink:
Please see below my list of slightly more helpful suggestions:
Any chance you could superglue the blade back on?
Possible to fit another fan in place of broken one?
Could be a great excuse to do a Rob and watercool 8)
robmacagain

#19 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by robmacagain »

Tell you what min i don't know how you can stand the noise of the fans up over 60% anyway :?: they had me bouncing off the walls with the racket they made, get it water cooled, its good for your sanity :wink: .
robmacagain

#20 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by robmacagain »

Schole, i can do you a favour if you can stomach the postage and get one out to you, i think that there all reference design so one of my fans will fit, any good?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#21 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by Alez »

scole250 wrote: then...SMACK! A finger touched one of the fans. Suddenly I heard a very bad sound.
and people wonder why helicopter tail booms are covered in warnings :D May I suggest installing wire mesh covers as your next project :P
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#22 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by scole of TSBT »

It did hurt like the dickens. I looked for blood. Got lucky though, none. I appreciate the offer for the fans, Rob. I think the PCBs are all the same but different companies put different coolers and fans on them, so I'm scared of paying the postage to see. UPS website only quoted express rates which were over $150 US for a 1 lb package :shock: . I already went over budget with the card and a few parts to get the "spare" system running. Water cooling would mean a new case (no place for radiator in current case) plus cost of all the cooling parts. Have think about that one. Might be able to swap some gpus around to get the most benefit out of it. For anyone else considering a 7990, I think there's a reason there's no after market air/fan coolers. Not sure they can handle the load on mining/folding/BOINC apps. So either be prepared for running fans 75% or higher with the case open or be ready for water cooling. A duel 7970 system is easier and cheaper to deal with.
robmacagain

#23 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by robmacagain »

Sod UPS, the Royal Mail are quoting £9.75 and on XE.com (currency converter) it said that was $16.72, thought that may be cheaper than a new fan if you can find one, so if you feel the need its there.

That's the reason i put my system under water right there :roll:, how about 90% fan and 85c constant, the noise was deafening and the heat it was bunging out in the room was mental!
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#24 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by scole of TSBT »

XFX was nice enough to send me a new fan, no charge. All I had to do was was register on their support site, register the gpu and open a ticket explaining I needed a new fan. Back to running full out without temps climbing too bad.
Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#25 Re: AMD HD 7990s

Post by Silver »

Thats a bit of a result, respect to XFX :thumbright:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)”