Project FAQ

Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#1 Project FAQ

Post by Alez »

Project Information

What are the goals of OpenPandemics - COVID-19?

The primary goal of the project is to search for potential treatments for COVID-19, so studying proteins from SARS-CoV2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) is the highest priority.
Additionally, the project's scientists want to fight not only the current emergency, but also prepare for the ones that will likely follow. Future pandemics could stem from a progressive accumulation of mutations, which can eventually lead to a new virus variant. This is what happened when the virus SARS-CoV1 mutated to become SARS-CoV2. So the research team is including proteins from the SARS-CoV1 and other viruses to be studied as part of OpenPandemics - COVID-19, which will help them assess how difficult would it be to find or design molecules capable of overcoming the inevitable mutations.
The secondary goal is to create a fast-response, open source toolkit that will help all scientists quickly search for treatments for future pandemics.
In keeping with World Community Grid's open data policy, all data, tools, and processes that are developed through OpenPandemics will be made freely available to the scientific community.

How are the goals of the project being met?
Who are the scientists involved in OpenPandemics - COVID-19?
How might the data generated by OpenPandemics - COVID-19 be valuable to scientists?
How is World Community Grid helping with this effort?
Right now, this project is looking for potential treatments for COVID-19. Will there be future phases of the project?
How can I help?

Scientific and Technical Background

What is COVID-19?
Why is COVID-19 considered to be so dangerous?
There are other volunteer computing projects related to COVID-19? Does the world really need more than one?
How exactly does this project use computing power to look for potential COVID-19 treatments?
Where can I learn more about COVID-19, SARS-CoV2, and other coronaviruses?
What are the system requirements for devices to participate in OpenPandemics – COVID-19?

Project Graphics
What does the screen saver look like when OpenPandemics – COVID-19 is running?
What does the screen saver show?
What does the progress bar in the screen saver represent?
Where may I download a picture of the OpenPandemics – COVID-19 graphic?
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....

Return to “OpenPandemics - COVID-19”