Swapping hardware without reinstalling OS

Forum to discuss and compare Hardware profiles and Benchmarking
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#1 Swapping hardware without reinstalling OS

Post by Hal Bregg »

Hello,

So, I had old Intel i3 and was running BOINC on Debian based OS. Stupidly, I managed to damage CPU socket and decided to put hard drive in another PC with Intel Core Duo. All worked fine. Underpowered but worked.
Shortly after that I got hold of PC with AMD CPU and swapped HDD again. Still works.

My question is: should I do reinstall OS or should I let it run?
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 Re: Swapping hardware without reinstalling OS

Post by davidbam »

I'm no expert but I reckon an unhappy OS would have let you know by now.

I would suggest re-running Boinc's CPU benchmarks though as this can affect the credits scored. Best to do this with hyperthreading turned off. Then re-enable after benchmarking
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#3 Re: Swapping hardware without reinstalling OS

Post by Bryan »

It is my understanding that Linux looks at HW dependencies each time it boots and will adjust things as needed. I have Linux Mint installed on several USB HDD and I can move them from machine to machine and they will perform the same as the native Linux that is on the internal HDD.

Windows does its HW dependency stuff at the time of installation. If you make these types of changes and you can get it to boot - sometimes it will and sometimes it won't. But there are commands that can be issued from the cmd prompt that will cause Windows to reread and reconfigure itself so it works with the new system.
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#4 Re: Swapping hardware without reinstalling OS

Post by Hal Bregg »

davidBAM wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:57 pm I'm no expert but I reckon an unhappy OS would have let you know by now.

I would suggest re-running Boinc's CPU benchmarks though as this can affect the credits scored. Best to do this with hyperthreading turned off. Then re-enable after benchmarking
Could elaborate on CPU benchmarking? Is there any particular reason why I should test it without hyperthreading?

Bryan wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:11 pm It is my understanding that Linux looks at HW dependencies each time it boots and will adjust things as needed. I have Linux Mint installed on several USB HDD and I can move them from machine to machine and they will perform the same as the native Linux that is on the internal HDD.

Windows does its HW dependency stuff at the time of installation. If you make these types of changes and you can get it to boot - sometimes it will and sometimes it won't. But there are commands that can be issued from the cmd prompt that will cause Windows to reread and reconfigure itself so it works with the new system.
Thanks for the info that this could be tried with Windows OS as well
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#5 Re: Swapping hardware without reinstalling OS

Post by davidbam »

I read it on these forums (from Bryan, I think). Better to have hyperthreading off for the CPU benchmark as this guarantees each benchmark thread runs on its own REAL core. Two threads on the same core is nowhere near as fast as two threads on two different cores.
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#6 Re: Swapping hardware without reinstalling OS

Post by Hal Bregg »

Strangely I started having some troubles with the PC and I was forced to reinstall OS.
Anyway, thanks for your replies.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#7 Re: Swapping hardware without reinstalling OS

Post by Alez »

If it's Linux it will generally swap pretty well, but it does seem to be sensitive to network drivers, especially wifi ones.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#8 Re: Swapping hardware without reinstalling OS

Post by Hal Bregg »

Alez wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:33 am If it's Linux it will generally swap pretty well, but it does seem to be sensitive to network drivers, especially wifi ones.
I had installed Liquorix kernel before I put HDD in another PC. So maybe because of that.
Similar problem appeared on Linux Mint when using untested kernel (laptop freezing randomly). Going back to stable kernels seems to solve the problem.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Benchmarking and Hardware”