My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Forum to discuss and compare Hardware profiles and Benchmarking
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#11 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by davidbam »

Yup - I have some twin CPU E5 systems. Do you get twin socket mobo for threadripper? :P
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#12 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by Bryan »

No, dual socket MB are servers and they typically don't allow overclocking even if the CPU allows it. I'm also not sure the 2990WX supports multiple CPUs. That's the benefit of the E7 Xeons they allow up to 8 CPUs to be used together. The E5 only allow 2 CPUs.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#13 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by davidbam »

I haven't done any overclocking as I mainly run Xeons. My understanding - and it could be totally wrong - is that a Xeon can only overclock on one care (if at all) ??
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#14 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by Bryan »

E5 V3s had a bug in them and you could change the microcode on a machine and get all cores to run at max turbo. That was fixed in the V4s. I don't have any V3s but that was something that could be done fairly easily.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#15 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by davidbam »

Thanks - I've got mostly v2 sadly (unless same applies) Other than that, it is v4 and it doesn't seem worth the hassle for 2 fast threads
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#16 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by Bryan »

It's my understanding that that bug was specific to the V3s. If you have good cooling it makes a huge difference.
VietOZ
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#17 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by VietOZ »

I'd up the PSU to 1400W or higher. The 2990WX draws about 380W at stock ... then plus the 1080ti x2 ... it's gonna be very close to 1200W.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#18 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by davidbam »

Damn - the PSU is the only bit I've got so far :lol: :lol: :lol:

Might be sensible to stick to only 1080s then
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#19 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by Alez »

looking at the specs the 1070's are better value for money than the 1080's. My 1070 was half the price of a 1080 and is in no way half the card.
less power draw to.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#20 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by davidbam »

Thanks - I know a guy getting out of Bitcoin mining who has a dozen 1070 coming up for sale - eBay would suggest on or above the £250 mark? I only paid £325 for the 1080 though which I thought was a good deal.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#21 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by davidbam »

Just missed it
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#22 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by Alez »

Unfortunately I need new race chassis etc. for next year
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#23 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by Bryan »

On most projects the 2990WX does about 1.5X my dual Xeons E5 V4s. However I ran some SRBase this week and the Intels blow the doors off the 2990WX. AMD did a crappy job of AVX implementation.

Next summer the TR3 will come out (rumor 96-128 threads) and AMD is saying they are going to fix AVX and also double the FP processing speed. If that is true it will be an absolute monster!
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#24 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by davidbam »

which e5 v4 though? Even one Xeon 2696 / 2699 is more expensive than the 2990WX - and that one at auction went for close to 40% off of the usual price
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#25 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by Bryan »

I have dual 2695 V4 ES (72t) and dual 2683 V4 production (64t).

The point was that the shortcomings of the TR2 will be rectified with next summer's release. I'm happy with my 2 2990WX however I won't build a 3rd one ... I'm waiting for the next generation.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#26 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by davidbam »

Yes - I do appreciate what you are saying. I'll be hoping for price on the 2990WX to drop sharply when next gen comes out & will look at the bang-for-buck, and bang-for-watt figures then
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#27 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by davidbam »

Do you think, if I asked nicely, they'd join TSBT and crunch for us overnight?
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#28 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by Hal Bregg »

davidBAM wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:10 am Do you think, if I asked nicely, they'd join TSBT and crunch for us overnight?
I thought exactly the same. If this happened I would suspect it could exhaust all projects within hours.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#29 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by scole of TSBT »

Well based on Intel's latest leaked info, my build would have a W-3175X CPU (28c/56t, 3.1 ghz/3.7 all/guess, 6 channel DDR4 and plenty PCIe lanes for 2 Titan Vs and a couple M.2 drives)
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#30 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by Dirk Broer »

Based upon AMD's last leaked info, my dream build would have a Ryzen Threadripper from the 3000 'Castlepeak' series, rumoured to have 64 cores for the top model.
Rumour also have it that this generation will allow dual socket mobo's for them Threadrippers, which would mean a possible 128 real cores/256 threads on one mobo.
It could turn out to be however that the 64 cores come from the dual mobo and that the platform will -for the time being- max out at 128 threads.
I hope that there will be 64GB ECC UDIMMs at decent speed and price too at the launch date...and dito 128Gb ECC UDIMMS when the 64-core CPU becomes reality

What will be the next step? Four threads per core, eight perhaps?
Still more cores seems to create serious heat problems -those 64-core Threadrippers 3990WX Black Editions are rumoured to require a 360mm AIO cooler, and the most expensive option comes with a bundled 480mm AIO cooler, and a NZXT case. :pray:
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#31 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by Bryan »

I hope they finally fix the AVX capability. The 2990WX flat sucks in comparison to Intel Xeons on SRBase or PG. On projects that aren't AVX intensive the 2990WX kick butt.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#32 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by Dirk Broer »

Bryan wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:05 pm I hope they finally fix the AVX capability. The 2990WX flat sucks in comparison to Intel Xeons on SRBase or PG. On projects that aren't AVX intensive the 2990WX kick butt.
Threadripper, Threadripper 2 and Threadripper 3 might benefit from optimized AMD applications, preferably built on a non-Intel compiler. And from libraries that do not have lines in them as

If vendor_string equals Intel then ...
else goto ...
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#33 Re: My fantasy build for dedicated Boinc

Post by Bryan »

They would also benefit if the AVX registers could do both multiplication and division like the Intel architecture. AMD has said they will fix it in TR3 because they have a piss poor implementation that hobbles their CPUs versus the Intel's. They also said they wouldn't support AVX 512 yet. They said they will double FP processing speed. The TR3 is going to be a monster!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Benchmarking and Hardware”