World Community Grid - Badges

all non specific project posts go here
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

#1 World Community Grid - Badges

Post by MacDitch »

As we all love WCG so much, I thought I'd start a thread to see who wanted to own up to what badges. :D

I've got:
Image FightAIDS@home
Image Human Proteome Folding 2
Image Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together
Image Help Conquer Cancer

and should shortly get:
Image Nutritious Rice for the World
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

I don't currently run WCG. What are the badges for ?
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

I don't currently run WCG. What are the badges for ?
Each sub-project has it's own badge and participants get 'awarded' it after supplying a pre-set amount of computing power. The normal level is a fairly easy 14 cpu-days but some projects (most noticably African Climate) differ from this standard.

There seems to be a bit of kudo/bragging right's that go with having all the badges - or as many as you can get now as three (four?) are no longer available.

In short, like credit, they are worth nothing but show what you've contributed.
FlyingfocRS
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 1
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 1

Post by FlyingfocRS »

I have all of the five listed above. :?
ZOC999

Post by ZOC999 »

I got the first four badges above pretty close together, maybe a month back. So naturally I turned those sub-projects off at the WCG site so I'd only be sent Nutritious Rice until I got it as well (punishing those other projects for giving me a reward - um, I mean "making sure resources were evenly distributed" ;)). Now that I have the rice badge, all five are turned back on - at least until some new sub-project comes along...
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

#6 Re: World Community Grid - Badges

Post by MacDitch »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Just spotted this thread again and thought I'd update it as WCG have changed the badge system since then. The badges (all shown above!) are now awarded as follows:

14 cpu-days . . . Bronze Badge (The brown-ish background)
45 cpu-days . . . Silver Badge
90 cpu-days . . . Gold Badge

if you want to know what you have, or how much more effort you need, go to WCG Homepage and click on the "My Grid" button. {Direct link if you've previously set the remember me option!} The centre-top of the page will have a table showing all the projects you have worked on, the run time for each and what badge (if any) you've earned.

I've (still) got the same as before, except they are bronze, but am close to changing a few...

Image FightAIDS@home
Image Human Proteome Folding 2
Image Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together
Image Help Conquer Cancer
Image Nutritious Rice for the World
Image Image
ZOC999

Post by ZOC999 »

Thanks for the update. Going to a three-tiered system seems like a smart move on their part to keep continued interest up. My current set:

Looks like another redistribution of resources is in order.
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

#8 Re: World Community Grid - Badges

Post by MacDitch »

Well, I said I was close to changing a few of my badges, and I have. The NRW badge should change colour this week as well, probably Thursday. :-)

Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

#9 Re: World Community Grid - Badges

Post by MacDitch »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

There's been a few new projects, and thus new badges, so I thought I'd update this thread. :)

If you want to know what you have, or how much more effort you need, go to WCG Homepage and click on the "My Grid" button. {Direct link if you've previously set the remember me option!} The centre-top of the page will have a table showing all the projects you have worked on, the run time for each and what badge (if any) you've earned.

I'm currently sporting the following selection, but will hopefully soon upgrade to gold for RICE Image and get the new Flu Badge Image...

Image - Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together
Image - FightAIDS@home
Image - Help Conquer Cancer
Image - Help Fight Childhood Cancer
Image - Human Proteome Folding 2
Image - Nutritious Rice for the World
Image Image
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

It's all changed again!
What is a Project Badge?
What is a Project Badge? A Project Badge is an acknowledgement of the contribution that a member has made to one of the research projects running at World Community Grid. All available badges may be viewed here.

A badge appears as a image for a member on their My Grid page, the Member Information page and next to their name in the forums. A badge is awarded to a member based upon how much computer processing time they have contributed to the project.

There are 6 levels of badges for run time donated to each research project and each is denoted by a different color background:
  • Bronze - 14 days
  • Silver - 45 days
  • Gold - 90 days
  • Ruby - 180 days
  • Emerald - 1 year
  • Sapphire - 2 years
No badge will appear until members contribute a minimum 14 days of run time to a research project. World Community Grid may occasionally change these rules for certain projects. This was done for the AfricanClimate@Home project, which required only 1 days worth of run time for a Bronze badge, 7 days for a Silver badge, and 30 days for a Gold badge.
I think that means there are now ten active projects with six badge levels available for each.

I need more computers. :(

MacDitch
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

If only I wasn't colour blind! :(
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

I still find that my deficient colour vision causes me to miss out on the full pleasure of WCG badge ownership but reading the text tells me that I now have 4 sapphire badges which is pretty damn cool & makes for a nice block on the sig!
Willie the Megacruncher
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

Just in case anyone is interested, those nice people at SETI.Germany have spent some time and effort collating WCG badge information for us all. If you go to here you can see what we, as a team, have collected and a little further down who has collected what per project.

It should be noted that they are also the source of the 'Badge Blocks' that some of us have in our signatures. You can generate yours at this page if you haven't already.

Thanks again to SETI.Germany for making this information and graphics available. :)
Image Image
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Posts”