colloquialisms

General News and Banter all users and guests can see this forum.
Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#1 colloquialisms

Post by davidbam »

not exactly "Quote of the Day" but maybe the occasional colloquialism

English is a very rich language without us but the Scots have come up with some very distinctive ways of using it. Feel free to post your own (from any language) - we'll need an explanation though.
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 a broad kirk

Post by davidbam »

a broad kirk, literally a broad church, is used to to describe an organisation which caters for people of all shades of opinion. The clever part is that most real churches - IMHO - are anything but broad; rather they seek to make all members conform to the ideals of the organisation.

So, the attraction to TSBT for me is its openness to let people crunch what they want, when they want and for whom they want. As my current project is for equines, we all know the carrot is more successful than the stick.
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General”