Gridcoin Finance

Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#1 Gridcoin Finance

Post by Alez »

http://finance.gridcoin.us/finance/index.php

About Gridcoin Finance
Gridcoin Finance is a research and development project that uses volunteers computing power to perform financial simulations, analysis of the block chain, consolidate humanitarian reports, calculate marketing strategies, perform stock option analysis, harvest business intelligence, and assimilate top level results for the crowdsourced web pages.

Gridcoin Finance is based in the US (http://www.gridcoin.us) Our team brings over 20 years of relevant experience in data mining and analysis.

Accomplishments (Coming Soon)
Active Projects (Coming Soon)

Join Gridcoin Finance

Read our rules and policies
This project uses BOINC. If you're already running BOINC, select Add Project. If not, download BOINC.
When prompted, enter
http://finance.gridcoin.us/finance/
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#2 Re: Gridcoin Finance

Post by Alez »

Team account is now set up and available to join.
Will update if I get any units to crunch.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#3 Re: Gridcoin Finance

Post by Bryan »

Don't make the mistake of joining GRC Nation (a different project). That is one that uses BOINC and "pays" the participants in Gridcoins to crunch projects. With that one you will crunch only for team "GRIDCOIN" and while you are crunching projects you are also mining Gridcoins for them. They pay you some percentage on what you mine.

I'm assuming this one is not actually mining gridcoins in the background.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#4 Re: Gridcoin Finance

Post by Alez »

I believe they are totally different, but will check the project out, as I do all new projects, if and when I ever get a unit from them. If it tries to mine in the background it will get picked up by my testing computer which simply will not allow it.
I think Gridcoin is set up as a team now.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#5 Re: Gridcoin Finance

Post by Dirk Broer »

Bryan wrote:I'm assuming this one is not actually mining gridcoins in the background.
Judged by the name, I'm assuming just the opposite of that
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#6 Re: Gridcoin Finance

Post by Alez »

Gridcoin Finance is now working as a NCI app. Seems to work a lot better than a few weeks ago, but still no actual info on what the project does other than the very vague blurb. Web search has not revealled any info yet.
Basically as a BOINC project it works but whether you should run it, that's a different story.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#7 Re: Gridcoin Finance

Post by Dirk Broer »

We had one brave member doing all four steps. I did not automatically turn you into a gridcoin member, but his malware and spyware defense was already working overtime after step 3 as a result. Shady operation, strange that they're touting twenty years of experience, but can't show anything.
Janos (retired)
Still a Newbie

#8 Re: Gridcoin Finance

Post by Janos (retired) »

I've had a good look around and I must say I am not convinced at all.
"Happiness can be defined as: a geek with non-work related code to write, no distractions and no deadline." - Janos
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#9 Re: Gridcoin Finance

Post by Dirk Broer »

One of our members has suggested that it might be a Ponzi.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#10 Re: Gridcoin Finance

Post by Alez »

I was a little dubious about making this forum for the project, but it is a working BOINC project and it's not my place to censor what projects are displayed. I would like the project to be more upfront about what it is, but ultimately it's up to the team members to decide to run this project or not.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#11 Re: Gridcoin Finance

Post by Dirk Broer »

Just an observation:
  • I added Gridcoin as a project, early November on the same machine that also runs Bitcoin Utopia.
  • Soon after my credits for Bitcoin Utopia fall, and the project will not respond to my app_config.xml, seemingly running with a mind of its own and with steadily diminishing returns. I seek help on this forum trying to improve the app_config.xml, but to no avail.
  • After a while Gridcoin claims a server failure, effectively deleting both my team and account. (Dec 2016)
  • I make a new account with them, but want my credit back before I will crunch for them again. The Gridcoin project is still on my system. (Jan 2016)
  • Because the Gridcoin project fails to restore my credits, I remove the project. (Later, Jan 2016)
  • Because Bitcoin Utopia is now barely running 500k a day (was 4.4 million a day), I decide to remove the project from the machine. I am about to throw away the Block Erupter and Antminer U2 sticks, thinking I've worn them out. (Early Feb 2016)
  • Because the machine is run through BOINCStats BAM!, Bitcoin Utopia gets re-installed by the account manager. (Later, Feb 2016)
  • Bitcoin Utopia is running again, at 4.4 million credits a day. (Mid Feb 2016)
Anyone with similar experiences?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#12 Re: Gridcoin Finance

Post by Alez »

My two machines for BU are totally seperate ( and not running just now ) so can't say yes , but I just find the whole gridcoin app dodgy so won't run it and the whole crunch for us and we will pay you to be wrong.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Gridcoin Finance”