Corona virus

SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#1 Corona virus

Post by SolidAir79 »

I think after the current challenge I'm gonna lend my gpu to folding@home so might not jump on any gpu challenges for a while want to feel like I'm helping 😇
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#2 Re: Corona virus

Post by scole of TSBT »

Well corona virus panic has reached Goldsboro, NC. The hoarding is worse than a hurricane blitz
SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#3 Re: Corona virus

Post by SolidAir79 »

Not a toilet roll to be found on the shelves of the local supermarkets 🤪
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#4 Re: Corona virus

Post by Megacruncher »

SolidAir79 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:07 pm Not a toilet roll to be found on the shelves of the local supermarkets 🤪
Clearly people are misunderstanding the nature of corona virus & confusing it with cholera. Anyway haven't they heard of washing? Once we are all self isolating we will have plenty of time for thorough perianal hygiene.

I went shopping this afternoon & couldn't get potatoes, pasta rice or flour. I think it might be time to try one of those low-carb diets!
Willie the Megacruncher
SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#5 Re: Corona virus

Post by SolidAir79 »

:-) Right folks started a new team TSFT in honour of you folks!
Just select "any disease" and COVID 19 is the priority in the WU'S
SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#6 Re: Corona virus

Post by SolidAir79 »

team number is 240718
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#7 Re: Corona virus

Post by Bryan »

Megacruncher wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:38 pm Clearly people are misunderstanding the nature of corona virus & confusing it with cholera. Anyway haven't they heard of washing? Once we are all self isolating we will have plenty of time for thorough perianal hygiene.

I went shopping this afternoon & couldn't get potatoes, pasta rice or flour. I think it might be time to try one of those low-carb diets!
All the people who have hoarded the toilet paper are going to find they need far less of it when they run out of food :lol:
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#8 Re: Corona virus

Post by davidbam »

:D
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#9 Re: Corona virus

Post by SolidAir79 »

They could eat the paper 🤔 🤣
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#10 Re: Corona virus

Post by scole of TSBT »

All the North Carolina public schools are closed, grades 5K-12, until further notice. Jack's school is starting virtual classroom tomorrow. Colleges and universities are closing also. Duke is closed until further notice.

Meanwhile, St. Patrick's Day goes on! Cottage Pie, cooked cabbage and Guinness on the menu this evening, not necessarily in that order
:obscene-drinkingcheers:
:obscene-drinkingbuddies:
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#11 Re: Corona virus

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Cabbage & Guinness this is why there is a rush on toilet paper not the virus at all....
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#12 Re: Corona virus

Post by scole of TSBT »

Cruncher Pete wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:01 pm I'll have some of that Guinness, hold the cabbage. :-)
I tossed a cold one in the stream. It should be there by St. Patrick's Day next year :obscene-drinkingcheers:
SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#13 Re: Corona virus

Post by SolidAir79 »

I might have more time on my hands I have Asthma and use steroid inhalers will contact my work tomorrow not fancying being indoors for 3 months :shock:
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#14 Re: Corona virus

Post by Megacruncher »

You don't need to stay indoors. You are allowed outside to exercise, and in the UK you don't even need a dog, so long as you stay 2m away from other people. You could even stay within the rules going to a pub with friends, so long as you spread yourselves out in the beer garden.

The restrictions are strong recommendations rather than legal requirements. And they'll work so long as most people sort of stick to them most of the time.

I've got to say I think it is all way over the top. Despite the initial Chinese response being to cover it up they seem to got away with less than 0.01% of their population catching it. Hardly grounds for bringing all social, economic & cultural life to a halt world wide.
Willie the Megacruncher
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#15 Re: Corona virus

Post by scole of TSBT »

watchandlearn.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#16 Re: Corona virus

Post by Megacruncher »

Way to go doggy!
Although for those without paper I'd recommend showering as a rather less gritty alternative to scraping your arse over the lawn.
Still, chacon a son gout!
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#17 Re: Corona virus

Post by Megacruncher »

Also they've shut the pubs in Scotland!
FFS, 2 world wars came and went and the pubs stayed open!
Indeed, even during the Black Death itself, the pubs stayed open. Although to be fair that episode did result in the death of a third of humanity, so maybe it wasn't a great call!
Willie the Megacruncher
Gibson Praise
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

#18 Re: Corona virus

Post by Gibson Praise »

Megacruncher wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:11 am Indeed, even during the Black Death itself, the pubs stayed open. Although to be fair that episode did result in the death of a third of humanity, so maybe it wasn't a great call!
Food for thought indeed! Myself, I've gone to 'personal pub' model. Boring as all get out .. but I've had that at the bar too .. but at last I have control of the TV!
PecosRiverM
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

#19 Re: Corona virus

Post by PecosRiverM »

Governor just shut down "ALL" type business my wife works at. Just my $$ now (not as much as her's).
On the other side as long as these people are hoarding and need to eat I've got a job (unless I need to quarantine). :think:

We are getting "Hazard Pay" for dealing with the public.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#20 Re: Corona virus

Post by Dirk Broer »

Megacruncher wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:11 am Also they've shut the pubs in Scotland!
FFS, 2 world wars came and went and the pubs stayed open!
Indeed, even during the Black Death itself, the pubs stayed open. Although to be fair that episode did result in the death of a third of humanity, so maybe it wasn't a great call!
The speed at which the black death spread (considering the means of transportation in those days) and the devastating effect it had on the European population (including the British Islands) may very well be explained by the lackadaisical attitude as regards to pub opening times in those days....
SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#21 Re: Corona virus

Post by SolidAir79 »

Can I just say I now have self isolated I have hypertension and am an Asthmatic on steroids I have been hospitalized with chest infections before in the past so I can say at only 40 try slow down the exposure because there are only so many beds and how many people have underlying issues that they don't know about no matter the age !
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#22 Re: Corona virus

Post by davidbam »

Good decision, Sir. Take care
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#23 Re: Corona virus

Post by Megacruncher »

Stay safe but keep as active as you can while avoiding others. And don't let the media scare you. The BBC have been particularly misleading in some of their reporting, albeit in a clueless, doh-we're-all-arts-grads-don't-ask-us-to-report-on-anything-scientific, sort of way rather than than anything malevolent.

Anyhoo everyone, your salvation is at hand: Slightly less than three years since I packed in my medical career, I have, in the national interest decided to answer the call return to the fray. Hopefully the most that will be asked of me will be covering for other psychiatrists off sick. But, if you find me in charge of a pop-up Intensive Care Unit in your local church hall, wish me luck; You'll need it!*

*BTW This won't happen. Personal ethics aside, there are safeguards in the emergency legislation which specify that we can only do stuff we are competent to do!
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#24 Re: Corona virus

Post by Megacruncher »

Megacruncher wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:22 am Stay safe but keep as active as you can while avoiding others. And don't let the media scare you. The BBC have been particularly misleading in some of their reporting, albeit in a clueless, doh-we're-all-arts-grads-don't-ask-us-to-report-on-anything-scientific, sort of way rather than than anything malevolent.

Anyhoo everyone, your salvation is at hand: Slightly less than three years since I packed in my medical career, I have, in the national interest decided to answer the call to return to the fray. Hopefully the most that will be asked of me will be covering for other psychiatrists off sick. But, if you find me in charge of a pop-up Intensive Care Unit in your local church hall, wish me luck; You'll need it!*

*BTW This won't happen. Personal ethics aside, there are safeguards in the emergency legislation which specify that we can only do stuff we are competent to do!
Willie the Megacruncher
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#25 Re: Corona virus

Post by scole of TSBT »

Megacruncher wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:22 am Stay safe but keep as active as you can while avoiding others. And don't let the media scare you. The BBC have been particularly misleading in some of their reporting, albeit in a clueless, doh-we're-all-arts-grads-don't-ask-us-to-report-on-anything-scientific, sort of way rather than than anything malevolent.

Anyhoo everyone, your salvation is at hand: Slightly less than three years since I packed in my medical career, I have, in the national interest decided to answer the call return to the fray. Hopefully the most that will be asked of me will be covering for other psychiatrists off sick. But, if you find me in charge of a pop-up Intensive Care Unit in your local church hall, wish me luck; You'll need it!*

You are a good man Megacruncher
SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#26 Re: Corona virus

Post by SolidAir79 »

My Mother, Sister and brother in law are medical professionals deepest respect Mega 👏👏🙏
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#27 Re: Corona virus

Post by davidbam »

Utmost respect.

Had I realised last night that you were one of the workers I was applauding at my front door, I'd have made it a little louder and longer. Our whole street was out - it almost got something in my eye
SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#28 Re: Corona virus

Post by SolidAir79 »

Mega was told from my work 12 week isolation so i might be needing your services :tongue3:
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#29 Re: Corona virus

Post by scole of TSBT »

I don't know anything about this guy, but I didn't find anything labeling him as a conspiracy theorist. Several videos out there featuring him on this topic though.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#30 Re: Corona virus

Post by Megacruncher »

davidBAM wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:50 pm Utmost respect.

Had I realised last night that you were one of the workers I was applauding at my front door, I'd have made it a little louder and longer. Our whole street was out - it almost got something in my eye
Steady on. All I've done so far is send a few emails to the GMC and the body supposedly coordinating the call up in Scotland. I'm not going to much use on the Covid front line but I would quite like to help keep my local Mental Health services ticking over until things calm down. Unfortunately the NHS has all but shut-down for anything non-Covid. That includes General Practice, Mental Health and all elective surgery. it's totally misguided & utterly dispropportionate to the threat posed by the virus. There is a real possibility that the radical repurposing of the NHS combined with a major post lock-down economic downturn could result in more loss of life than caused by the virus.

So although I joked about saving you from the virus what I'm actually hoping to do is to mitigate the side-effects of the treatment. I'll let you know how it works out.

I found an interesting article about how sweden is the only country in Europe not going down the lock-down route.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe ... ting-story
Willie the Megacruncher
SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#31 Re: Corona virus

Post by SolidAir79 »

8-) We have work units again the team number is 240718 anyone want to help please join in
SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#32 Re: Corona virus

Post by SolidAir79 »

Cheers to @Jock :clap: for the help, I know this is a competitive team but i feel this is a good cause !
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#33 Re: Corona virus

Post by davidbam »

SolidAir79 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:14 am 8-) We have work units again the team number is 240718 anyone want to help please join in
Keep up the good work

Gave the number to my mate who recently started on F@H. I've been doing some of the Rosetta WU for covid-19
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#34 Re: Corona virus

Post by Megacruncher »

scole of TSBT wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:04 pm I don't know anything about this guy, but I didn't find anything labeling him as a conspiracy theorist. Several videos out there featuring him on this topic though.
Mmm' he does actually seem to be a bit of a conspiracy theorist. As well as having previously concluded that Ebola & Zika were bioweapons he has a general tendency to see "Zionists" in every woodpile and talks about "Jewistan" [his special name for Israel] in rather alarming terms.

I do agree with him however that the Lockerbie Trial was a travesty of justice (although I'd view it as a Scottish CJS cock-up whereas he sees it as a CIA conspiracy) but I have no opinion on the case for Hawiian independance. :-)

Anyway he is a chap of many interests but is a Lawyer by trade. He passes himself off as a bioweapons expert but has no science background. He certainly can't read a viral genomics paper without seeing a smoking gun. Sheesh, viruses mutate all the time. And sometimes that makes them more successful. Possibly he has a problem with the whole evolution concept?

Also he goes out of his way to big up the lethality of C-19.
Willie the Megacruncher
SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#35 Re: Corona virus

Post by SolidAir79 »

davidBAM wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:49 am
SolidAir79 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:14 am 8-) We have work units again the team number is 240718 anyone want to help please join in
Keep up the good work

Gave the number to my mate who recently started on F@H. I've been doing some of the Rosetta WU for covid-19
Thanks had to underclock my gpu though the Mrs is using my room pc for working from home the fans ramping up and down were driving her crazy 😂🤣🤪🤪
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#36 Re: Corona virus

Post by scole of TSBT »

SolidAir79 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:53 pmThanks had to underclock my gpu though the Mrs is using my room pc for working from home the fans ramping up and down were driving her crazy 😂🤣🤪🤪
You can set a fixed fan speed that will keep it cool and let you perhaps clock it back up a bit.
SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#37 Re: Corona virus

Post by SolidAir79 »

It's okay real problem is I jacked up the water cooling and I think the card thinks the fan is the pump so it ramps up itself anyway I just have to make it inaudible atm 😂
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#38 Re: Corona virus

Post by Megacruncher »

I'm not sure that after so long on Boinc I can shift to F@H but I've reconnected to Rosetta and hopefully will get some coronavirus work from them soon.
Willie the Megacruncher
SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#39 Re: Corona virus

Post by SolidAir79 »

Let me know if you do the WU'S are sporadic on folding@home I would rather add to the team while helping 👍
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#40 Re: Corona virus

Post by davidbam »

SolidAir79 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:28 pm It's okay real problem is I jacked up the water cooling and I think the card thinks the fan is the pump so it ramps up itself anyway I just have to make it inaudible atm 😂
Just get her a set of headphones. Or a tent in the back garden - weather is improving :lol:
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#41 Re: Corona virus

Post by scole of TSBT »

The hoarding has gotten so bad, well here, this says it all...
hoarding.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#42 Re: Corona virus

Post by SolidAir79 »

Well linus tech and others have helped out with servers so there are more WUs if anyone is interested 🙂
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#43 Re: Corona virus

Post by scole of TSBT »

If you still happen to have your Rosetta preferences set to 1 hr runtime, better check your credit. I think 1 hr WUs are taking a big credit hit compared to 2hr.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#44 Re: Corona virus

Post by davidbam »

I was totally convinced I had that on 1hr. On checking, I do see that it is on 2hrs. Thanks for the heads-up
jockmacmad2

#45 Re: Corona virus

Post by jockmacmad2 »

I cannot get any units been trying for days :(
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#46 Re: Corona virus

Post by scole of TSBT »

not using an old app_info.xml by chance?

also make sure you don't have a download that's stuck
SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#47 Re: Corona virus

Post by SolidAir79 »

A couple of times I restarted the app and got some WU'S?
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#48 Re: Corona virus

Post by scole of TSBT »

ARG!!! Only on linux are the 1 hr WUs taking a hit. On Win64, it's the other way around but I had already changed the prefs and now I can't set WU runtime to 1hr any more. :cry:
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#49 Re: Corona virus

Post by Alez »

Hey guys, sort of back.
Survived malaria twice, sent to countries with all forms of nasties including ebola etc and apparently this virus is the end of the world. Work is gone and probabily finished, been put on indefinate leave and company has even cut off e mail access and tried to lock our laptops. Had to install a bunch of stuff to admin site again on a different system. Obviously racing has completely finished right after we started racing down in England against the national and international champions and kicked their butts. Brand new chassis sitting in the garage without a scratch on it. Got both widowed mothers in isolation and paranoid with the constant end of the world on sky and bbc.
Hope all you guys are coping fine. Personally climbing the walls as I've never been home for 6 weeks now in over 30 years.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#50 Re: Corona virus

Post by Dirk Broer »

Alez wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:00 amPersonally climbing the walls as I've never been home for 6 weeks now in over 30 years.
Just think of all that nice hardware you are now able to order -and receive yourself.
Ryzen 9 3950 now, Ryzen 4000 desktop series at autumn; RX 5600X going head-to-head with RTX 2060;
X570 mobo's, sTRX40 mobo's -both with PICe4.0; NVMe M.2 PCIe4.0 going up to 7,000 MB/s soon, etc.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “archive”