WCG 15th Birthday Challenge, 16-Nov-19 for 6 days

davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#1 WCG 15th Birthday Challenge, 16-Nov-19 for 6 days

Post by davidbam »

I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 Re: WCG 15th Birthday Challenge, 16-Nov-19 for 6 days

Post by davidbam »

Starting after night, you can load up one instance on each machine with 3 days of MIPs workunits. If you don't use multiple instances, load up 10 days. Then crunch them with the network closed. This means that they will count towards the challenge when you open the network after it starts.

OR, if you aren't sure about all of that, just chose the Mapping Cancer Markers project and crunch on that instead
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#3 Re: WCG 15th Birthday Challenge, 16-Nov-19 for 6 days

Post by Megacruncher »

Aye aye captain!
I was thinking that it might be time to use my new found multiple instance capacity & knowledge to construct a mega bunker. Stuff SUSA & Thor they’re already home & dry!
Willie the Megacruncher
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#4 Re: WCG 15th Birthday Challenge, 16-Nov-19 for 6 days

Post by davidbam »

Good man - MIPs is a PITA as it turns out. Set your 2990wx to run only 12 WU and it will be more productive than running 64 WU. Seems each WU thrives on 4Mb of L3 cache so 12 WU uses 48Mb and leaves a little for the rest of the system (16Mb)
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#5 Re: WCG 15th Birthday Challenge, 16-Nov-19 for 6 days

Post by davidbam »

After midnight, ideally about 1am, you can bunker-up about 8 days worth in a new instance on MCM and Zika (just in case a few stragglers are re-issued). These score better.

Don't drop the MIPs bunker yet though. I plan to leave 1 cpu on MPs with the remainder on MCM.

PS: we are ranked #73 in world standings and have a real chance at #72 or even #71 with a big effort in this challenge
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#6 Re: WCG 15th Birthday Challenge, 16-Nov-19 for 6 days

Post by scole of TSBT »

MOM, DAD, I'M HOME!

I'll be there.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#7 Re: WCG 15th Birthday Challenge, 16-Nov-19 for 6 days

Post by davidbam »

scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#8 Re: WCG 15th Birthday Challenge, 16-Nov-19 for 6 days

Post by scole of TSBT »

Just got home from a bball game. Uploading now.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#9 Re: WCG 15th Birthday Challenge, 16-Nov-19 for 6 days

Post by Megacruncher »

3 days in 4 to go and the big boys are asserting their mastery. 5th place for us at present. Not too bad if you consider the competition. Hopefully we won’t fall any further.
Willie the Megacruncher
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#10 Re: WCG 15th Birthday Challenge, 16-Nov-19 for 6 days

Post by davidbam »

Our exalted position is down to initial bunker drops - we haven't got the clout to maintain that position. It was downhill after the first hour :D

NVM - we made it to #72 in world rankings and might yet make #71
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#11 Re: WCG 15th Birthday Challenge, 16-Nov-19 for 6 days

Post by Megacruncher »

The stats seem to be still counting even though the birthday challenge is over but I’m pretty sure we finished 7th, which considering the competition & the fact it’s WCG is pretty good.

We should be 71st within a week or so. Not bad considering that this time last year we were still outwith the top 100.
Willie the Megacruncher
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “archive”