No Country for Scotland?

Report any issues and problems with the forum here
noetus
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

#1 No Country for Scotland?

Post by noetus »

I would like to see Scotland (and Wales, England,N.I. etc) listed as separate countries, which they are, on the World Community Grid country lists.

Currently the UK is listed as a country. This is like lumping France, Germany, Spain, Italy and all the rest under a single "country" called the EU. It doesn't make sense. And will make even less sense post-Brexit.

I don't want to "join" my country as the UK, so I've gone ahead and listed the country where I am currently residing (Hungary).

What are others' feelings on this matter? Do we have any way of lobbying them to make this change?
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#2 Re: No Country for Scotland?

Post by scole of TSBT »

I imagine it would require each individual project to update their county list options and have the various stats sites like BoincStats and Free-DC Stats to support listing those values.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#3 Re: No Country for Scotland?

Post by Alez »

This was discussed ages ago when people asked for the EU to be included within BOINC. Bottom line is that the four home countries are the United Kingdom as recognised by the UN.
BOINC has always used the UN recognised list of countries and have stated that is the case as they are not getting into political debates on the recognision or not of states etc. within countries.
WCG is seperate from BOINC and as such is free to recognise which ever list of countries it wishes.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Website Problems”