Sorry for the outage & loss of Avatars!

Report any issues and problems with the forum here
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#1 Sorry for the outage & loss of Avatars!

Post by Megacruncher »

Sorry, sorry, sorry!

In the course of trying to make minor visual improvements to the forum I put it offline for 24hrs and have lost all your Avatars. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hopefully the forum is working for everyone now.

As for the Avatars please reupload them in your profiles.

I'll put a fuller explanation/confession in a blog post.
Willie the Megacruncher
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Looks like you got them back OK... so no need for apologies! :D
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

I got mine back - because I reuploaded it. I still can't see yours or anyone elses. :(
Willie the Megacruncher
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Mine seems to be working OK and I didn't have to re-upload it... or am I missing something ?

(By the there seems to be an error on the private messages page - I sent you one this morning... did you receive it ?)

Here's the error:
Could not update private message new/read status (2) for user

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1146 Table 'black612.phpbb_privmsgs' doesn't exist

UPDATE phpbb_privmsgs SET privmsgs_type = 5 WHERE privmsgs_type = 1 AND privmsgs_to_userid = 910

Line : 1877
File : privmsg.php
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

Testing testing 1, 2, 3..........

Can't see your Avatar PP.

Edit:- I can see my Avatar "locally" is it visible to anybody else ?
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Not to me. Can you see my jumping pingu?

I see I've lost most of the smilies as well :roll: (Helpfully I've still got that one.) But I've tracked them down and will soon have them reinstalled. Hopefully.
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

:wav:
I got the smilies back.
You need to upload your avatars again.
I just spotted PP's post about the private messages. Looks like I may have buggered up the MySQL server. I'll look into it.
Willie the Megacruncher
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

... right got it - I saw all your avatars and mine because they was still in cache... duh!

Now everythings OK - I can't see anyone's including my own (except mega's - but he's re-uploaded his!) :D

Will re-upload mine as soon as I can find the file.... 8)
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

By the way, I think the PM page problem is probably an error in renaming the table (see my previous post) it's looking for this one: black612.phpbb_privmsgs an sez' it ain't there... :?

[edit]
You won't have lost any of the original tables if you were following the upgrade procedure from phpBB v2 to v3 in section 5 here: http://www.phpbb.com/support/documents. ... =3#convert though they do warn you that some passwords get lost because of UTF-8 character set handling in V3.

Have another go... phpBB v3 has some nice new features for posting, handling spam, searches and a host of other goodies... persistence will be rewarded... :)
[/edit]
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

PinkPenguin wrote:By the way, I think the PM page problem is probably an error in renaming the table (see my previous post) it's looking for this one: black612.phpbb_privmsgs an sez' it ain't there... :?
If only it were as straightforward as a misnaming. Unfortunately I've deleted it! :cussing:

All is not lost. I can hopefully extract the table from my backup and restore it. Any advice will be greatfully recieved.

BTW, on previewing this I noticed that the quote system works properly now. Not all bad then.
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

PinkPenguin wrote:You won't have lost any of the original tables if you were following the upgrade procedure from phpBB v2 to v3 in section 5 here: http://www.phpbb.com/support/documents. ... =3#convert though they do warn you that some passwords get lost because of UTF-8 character set handling in V3.

Have another go... phpBB v3 has some nice new features for posting, handling spam, searches and a host of other goodies... persistence will be rewarded... :)

I followed all the v2 to v3 instructions. I, or my webhosts, need a newer version of PHP. I'll get onto them.
Willie the Megacruncher
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Are the files on ext2 or ext3 file system ?

[edit]As it's not exactly a text file the grep method won't work. You could try using foremost which you need to install on a separate partition http://sourceforge.net/projects/foremost/ there are some instructions here: http://www.howtoforge.com/recover-delet ... h-foremost[/edit]
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

I followed all the v2 to v3 instructions. I, or my webhosts, need a newer version of PHP. I'll get onto them.
... Could be tricky if it's an older kernel. I've had problems upgrading PHP on those. Any way let me or Wil St. Hill know if we do anything... :grommit:
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

PinkPenguin wrote:Are the files on ext2 or ext3 file system ?

[edit]As it's not exactly a text file the grep method won't work. You could try using foremost which you need to install on a separate partition http://sourceforge.net/projects/foremost/ there are some instructions here: http://www.howtoforge.com/recover-delet ... h-foremost[/edit]
ext2 or 3 what that then? :?

I didn't delete a file, just a bunch of tables from the database which I thought I didn't need. Anyway would easyspace.com let me go rummaging about their database servers like that?

As a work around I manually added a phpbb_privmsgs table using parameters I managed to fish out of the 20B text file back up.

I've sent you a PM as a test. Please reply so I know the system works.

Only problem is I've lost all the old messages. Any idea how I could find them?
Willie the Megacruncher
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

I didn't delete a file, just a bunch of tables from the database which I thought I didn't need. Anyway would easyspace.com let me go rummaging about their database servers like that?
I don't see why not... it's more fun that way.... :D
problem is I've lost all the old messages. Any idea how I could find them?
The 20Mbyte text file backup should have a lot of insert commands to the same table for the data. You'll have to wipe the table you created and re-run both the CREATE TABLE and the INSERT/bulk INSERT commands for the same table.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

PinkPenguin wrote: The 20Mbyte text file backup should have a lot of insert commands to the same table for the data. You'll have to wipe the table you created and re-run both the CREATE TABLE and the INSERT/bulk INSERT commands for the same table.
And there's the rub. I couldn't run a script with CREATE TABLE "no permissions" but I was able to go into phpMyAdmin and manually create a new table.

As you observed in your PM it's unlikely that anyone will be that bothered at the loss of the old messages. Having broken and more or less repaired the forum I'll cut my losses and stick with having effectively purged the PMs.
Willie the Megacruncher
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

.... Agreed, now you've got things back to normal... you can start plotting another try at phpBB v3.... :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Website Problems”