SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Report any issues and problems with the forum here
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

#1 SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by MacDitch »

A quick look through the team list (don't ask why!) showed up that 65 of our members are probably (almost certainly) as few as 30 actual people. This doesn't include the multitude of John/Dave/Kenneth/etc accounts that may be duplicate or actually several people. Nor does it include accounts where different usernames were used.

To find out if your account is split go to BOINCstats and do a 'user search' (top left of the window) for your own username. If there is more than one of you (and you have a 'unique' username) or you find that not all your projects are listed under any one account, then you have a split CPID.

IF this applies to you, then there are a few things to check:
  1. Have you used the same password at each project?
  2. Have you used the same e-mail at each project?
  3. Have you attached all projects to one computer?
You must have the same e-mail/password combo at every project if you want to be 'one' person. The last point is simply the easiest way to resolve the problem. By attaching all projects to one computer (you can set additional projects to 'Suspend' if you don't want to crunch them on that computer) BOINC will automatically set all the accounts to the same CPID and the problem (should) disappear within a day or two.

If you are still having problems, then post here and someone will be able to help you out.

Good luck!
Image Image
CycloneRanger
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#2 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by CycloneRanger »

Okay, I now have two accounts on BAM, one with only four projects, mostly old ones. I cannot restore them to the fold. I have tried the steps listed above, to no avail. Can anyone help walk me through what I need to do, please?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#3 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by Alez »

There's a bit about this in the help section. Pop over there and I will post up a few questions for you.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
PinkPenguin

#4 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by PinkPenguin »

If you connected the projects to BAM! before they retired or went dead you can SYNC retired projects to your new CPID through the BOINCstats menu. Choose "sync retired projects".

If I have seen correctly your current situation on BOINCstats is as follows:
  1. Retired Projects DNETC and Predictor have actually been aligned with your main stats. (Which is something of a relief)
  2. Projects not aligned:
    • ABC - stats files are updated as of today but the project hasn't produced any work since early september. In this case your CPID in the user stats file on the server matches that of your other projects which are OK (at least Collatz and Einstein).
    • QMC - No stats files in directory (explains why TJ thinks the project is down while the scheduler is still running). This should come into line eventually if the project moves out of testing and restarts.
    • SpinHenge - Project hasn't updated stats files since 13th march 2013. Your CPID in the user stats file on this server doesn't match those for Collatz and Einstein so this explains why BOINCstats thinks it's a different user.
ABC should come into line sooner or later on BOINCstats... given that the CPID is already aligned with your OK projects.

TJ's stats are another matter as he probably uses a slightly different method to BOINCstats and probably gives more weight to user id and team id than to CPID as he is only analysing 4 teams. This means that the only projects out of sync on TJ's stats are DNETC (dead and gorn) and QMC (being resurrected ?) and neither have stats files available so a correction is unlikely until they become available.

On the Free-DC stats site the projects there not aligned with the rest are DNETC, QMC and SpinHenge which is what I would expect from the stats files... though on BOINCstats you or they seem to have managed to align DNETC with your other stats.

QMC and Spinhenge should come into line if they start producing/updating stats in the future and I don't think there is anything you can do about DNETC (at least on BOINCstats it's OK and retired). Until then there is unlikely to be any change.
utopia-i
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#5 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by utopia-i »

I am soo peeved about split CPIDS that I gave up on all BOINC projects for several months ... suspect I'm back with yet another id as Ive returned to give numberfields@home a go ..

I have ALWAYS used ... same email address, same utopia-i and same password for ever, yes occasionally try in increase now limited production by adding odd client on a PC, giving that idea up as well.

One iMac, one email address, one password, one utopia-i

simples .

Great to see the team continuing to flourish .. come join me on numberfields@home

utopia-i
... is that apple pie I smell

Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#6 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by Megacruncher »

utopia-i wrote: One iMac, one email address, one password, one utopia-I
5 actually. :(

Although you might have signed up again with exactly the same credentials, it's for a different project and only that project. Each of the 5 versions of utopia-i on our stats page has a different portfolio of projects.

Did you try the trick suggested by MacDitch at top of this thread? Attaching your current Boinc Manager to every project you ever ran might be a bit time consuming. But if you try it first with say Einstein WCG & YoYo that might make a major step towards reclaiming your lost property. Just attaching to the projects and updating might be enough but there would be no harm in running one or two WU for each project.

Try it and see.

It does bother me when I see so many split ids on the stats. The anankast in me worries that it is just not right arithmetically and I can see how it could be very discouraging for returning users in particular.
Willie the Megacruncher
utopia-i

#7 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by utopia-i »

Thanks for the details again ..

>> But if you try it first with say Einstein WCG & YoYo that might make a major step

Ive added and will return a WU for each of these projects .. see how it goes .. (its been a while since I did YoYo, a part of the project developed at the Uni I work @, I remember seeing how it was all done from the project developer side when I visited his office)

Points don't make prizes but having all the projects Im trying in one place is ideal, if this isnt easy, its all toooo easy to give up, even if that's after several years ..

utopia-i

Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#8 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by Megacruncher »

Alrighty!

That's your latest incarnation fused with your biggest ID. In other words by linking to those three projects you have reclaimed a total of 40 projects and 14 million credits. Much better than a fresh start! :lol: :wav:

As a follow up to this feat I suggest you attach to Moo! Wrapper, Primegrid & Primaboinca. That might just be enough to get you a zen like oneness.
Willie the Megacruncher
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#9 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by Alez »

Awesome, and may I add once you get things lined up, don't detach from any of the projects. Set them to no new work or suspended. Each time you detach and then reattach you get a new cpid and will have the whole rigmarole again.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#10 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by Megacruncher »

Right. And then there were 2 utopia-i s (on Temujins site anyway - Boincstats has you down to just three). So further progress there - keep updating and occasionally crunching a variety of projects and unity will soon be yours.
Willie the Megacruncher
PinkPenguin
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#11 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by PinkPenguin »

TJ's stats and BOINCSTATS now only have two utopia-i's each. Only four projects to bring into line: NumberFields, Seti, SIMAP and SubsetSum... should be OK by the weekend. 8)
"This is one of those days that the pages of history teach us are best spent lying in bed."
utopia-i

#12 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by utopia-i »

Thanks to all for your help and enthusiasm - the guilt of being mentioned so much in the Forums is creeping in - I'm usually very low maintenance - but hey! - it may help someone else ....

CycloneRanger
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#13 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by CycloneRanger »

I still have three accounts with Temujin, but one is a null (Predictor, I presume), and one contains the still-moribund QMC which I have updated. So I guess mine is as good as it gets, pending QMC's return to the living. I assume there's no way to get rid of the null one.
PinkPenguin
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#14 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by PinkPenguin »

The situation for CycloneRanger still seems to be as for my previous post except ABC:
  • on BOINCSTATS you there are only 2 CycloneRangers and your dead projects are already aligned with your main ID. ABC has aligned itself with your main ID (current CPID) which leaves only Spinhenge and QMC on your secondary id - as noted before QMC is not producing stats files at the moment and Spinhenge hasn't updated it's stats since march this year (see above for details).
  • on TJs stats you are still 3 CycloneRangers and the dead projects DNETC and Predictor can only be aligned with your main id by a manual intervention on TJ's database (maybe an eMail to TJ with a suitable incentive... :D ) ...As you say QMC should come back on-line eventually given that they have set up a whole new website and were running test WUs in september.
The fact that TJ has already aligned Spinhenge with your main ID does indicate that he is using different matching criteria than BOINCSTATS. TJ and BOINCSTATS both agree on QMC and BOINCSTATS probably archived the dead projects Predictor and DNETC when they were still aligned with your other projects which is probably why they are OK on BONCSTATS.
"This is one of those days that the pages of history teach us are best spent lying in bed."
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#15 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by Megacruncher »

utopia-i wrote:Thanks to all for your help and enthusiasm - the guilt of being mentioned so much in the Forums is creeping in - I'm usually very low maintenance - but hey! - it may help someone else ....
Indeed, this is part of a general campaign against the split CPID evil: We want all victims of this glitch to know how to heal themselves! :)
Willie the Megacruncher
utopia-i

#16 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by utopia-i »

PinkPenguin wrote:TJ's stats and BOINCSTATS now only have two utopia-i's each. Only four projects to bring into line: NumberFields, Seti, SIMAP and SubsetSum... should be OK by the weekend. 8)
2 weekend later still have a twin ..
http://homepages.ed.ac.uk/kennys/current.png

ideas ?

CycloneRanger
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#17 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by CycloneRanger »

I'm thinking that sync is problematic for certain projects for roughly forever. :?

I have two IDs on BAM (with Spinhenge and QMC in the 'flier') and three on Temujin's (one blank (Predictor?), one with QMC, and one with the rest. The credit numbers match up only approximately between the two for individual projects as well.) My best guess is that I'm stuck like this in perpetuity unless those two projects generate some activity to cause the managers to update. YMMV.
PinkPenguin
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#18 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by PinkPenguin »

utopia-i wrote:
PinkPenguin wrote:TJ's stats and BOINCSTATS now only have two utopia-i's each. Only four projects to bring into line: NumberFields, Seti, SIMAP and SubsetSum... should be OK by the weekend. 8)
2 weekend later still have a twin ..
http://homepages.ed.ac.uk/kennys/current.png

ideas ?
Hopefully your client is later than v6... if not > update it... (sorry, had to make sure!)... ;-) The short answer is: "Attach the project with the oldest join date to your client for a while" (1 or 2 weeks maybe).

In your case this would be one of CPDN, WCG, ABC, ALBERT, EINSTEIN, YOYO, MILKYWAY in that order - I would attach CPDN with "no new tasks" as they are really long runs these days if you can get them... EINSTEIN or MILKYWAY are probably a good choice to run as they are older than the four non-aligned projects and you have better visibility of CPIDs and things through your account than WCG. I think YOYO has an older server so it may not be the best one to actually run for a while.)

As you always use the same eMail and PWD on all projects there is very little else you can do. Please note, given the detail that follows, that the higher CPID is what is on your non-aligned projects so you want these to align with the older, lower CPID.

I think you would need Numbers, SIMAP, Seti and Subset to align with big group - the other way round would be a problem as some projects simply wouldn't come into line the other way round. If you are a little paranoid like me I would probably stop running numbers for a while and run one or two of the older projects for a few days before restarting numbers.

Here's the full detail from the FAQ on Mundayweb if you are interested (http://boincfaq.mundayweb.com/index.php?view=192):
The Cross-Project Identifier is a 32 character hexadecimal key that combines the MD5 hash of your domain name, IP address, free disk space, and a timestamp of your computer on a project, locked to your email address (the unique identifier).

The CPID is used by statistics sites to quickly see which projects your computer is attached to.

The projects do not communicate your CPID directly between projects. The CPID has to go through your computers in order to synchronize. So, if you have multiple computers attached to multiple projects, there must be a path from project server to client to project server that covers all projects to which you have computers attached. There must also be successful communications between the client and the project server to update the project server with the CPID.

The CPID changes if you change the email address, and the email address used at each project must be the same as that used for all other projects you are attached to.

Older clients will switch to the higher CPID when a project generates a new CPID. Newer clients will keep the CPID from the project with the oldest join date. Note that because this date is not transferred back to the server except with version 6 clients and the most recent servers, there is a bug where the CPID can be split and one project flips between these two. If this is the case, attach the project with the oldest join date to all hosts for a while.
Oh, and by the way, best of luck... :toothy2:
PinkPenguin
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#19 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by PinkPenguin »

CycloneRanger wrote:I'm thinking that sync is problematic for certain projects for roughly forever. :?

I have two IDs on BAM (with Spinhenge and QMC in the 'flier') and three on Temujin's (one blank (Predictor?), one with QMC, and one with the rest. The credit numbers match up only approximately between the two for individual projects as well.) My best guess is that I'm stuck like this in perpetuity unless those two projects generate some activity to cause the managers to update. YMMV.
Yep! The two on IDs on BAM and Temujin's site won't come into alignment until they update the stats on the server (QMC stats directory is still empty and the last stats for Spinhenge are date 3rd of March 2013 - so no changes). You will have to wait until these projects return active - if the stats don't update alignment isn't possible unless BAM shifts them to the dead projects area where you can attempt to do alignment through the BAM -> sync retired projects menu (but only if the project was included in your BAM! account at the time of retirement).

As far as BAM is concerned Predictor is aligned whereas TJ thinks it's a different person (yes, the blank one is Predictor with 98,403 credits)... as it's a dead project the only thing you can do is ask TJ nicely via pm on the UBT forum... :D
stewartcollinge
Boinc Private
Boinc Private

#20 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by stewartcollinge »

I have 2 accounts on the seti... classic and boinc. can they be reconciled... (can remember the (very) old email account, but not a cat in hells chance of the password). If not, the good news is, they are on the team stats... or are they?
You should put the white ball where you want it
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#21 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by Alez »

Go here http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/sah_classic.php and follow the instructions to claim your seti classic workunits. It will combine your accounts and will give you a record of the classic units completed but not the points. All you need is the old email address and it will be linked to your new account.
stewartcollinge
Boinc Private
Boinc Private

#22 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Thanks Alez... but getting a bit confused (must be age or something...) Don`t like a doppelganger on the table ...any help (even via PM with some details gladly given) , would be a boon... as said in my PS3 post, quite rusty at the mojo... :-0
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#23 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by Alez »

Ok Stewart, not sure what the issue is but as far as I remember ( did this a while ago )
Go to Seti and log into your account using your current user id and password.
Go to Seti home page.
On the left ( getting started ) , under #2
Special instructions:

For SETI@home Classic participants, select this option.

it will take you to Instructions for SETI@home Classic users page.
under
If your SETI@home Classic email address is no longer valid:
select
Claim your SETI@home Classic workunits.

If I remember it will now ask you for your old e mail address you used on seti clasic. Fill it in and it should combine your two accounts under your current account.

Follow this through and hopefully all will be well :) If not post up the problem or PM me if you don't want the post visible
stewartcollinge
Boinc Private
Boinc Private

#24 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Thanks Alez. It would have worked fine... But I have 2 Boinc accounts now and they cannot be reconciled (apparently).. I seem to recall, in distant times, that when seti went boinc, my classic credits were converted. Thus 2 accounts! So, going to have a play with Linux and PS3....(wailing and gnashing imminent) ; )
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#25 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Post by Alez »

stewartcollinge wrote: So, going to have a play with Linux and PS3....(wailing and gnashing imminent) ; )
Good luck with that :D
stewartcollinge
Boinc Private
Boinc Private

#26 Re: SPLIT CPID's / Accounts

Please see post on help/ps3... but many thanks. :( :shock: :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Website Problems”