I know you're pirates but...

Avast ye scurvey dogs, Yaar! You have been warned!
Radio
Boinc Lance Corporal
Boinc Lance Corporal

#1 I know you're pirates but...

Post by Radio »

http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinuto ... e=4&appid=

1.2 million credits per WU?

vs: http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinuto ... e=4&appid=

1800 credits per WU :bounce: :oops:

Me no understand.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#2 Re: I know you're pirates but...

Post by scole of TSBT »

Don't understand the valuation of credits for WU in general or the difference between the 1200000 and 1800 credit WUs?
Radio
Boinc Lance Corporal
Boinc Lance Corporal

#3 Re: I know you're pirates but...

Post by Radio »

Both :shock:

I crunch periodically for projects that interest me rather than for credits but with the recent team deluge of points and the chat about pushing us up in the rankings, I thought I'd have a sniff at the high credit projects to assist.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#4 Re: I know you're pirates but...

Post by Dirk Broer »

The 1.2 million credits per WU are done with the aid of a 20+ GH/s ASICs (there are miners out there that reach more than 1 TH/s).
The hashrate of all but the most powerful GPUs is below 1GH/s, that of CPUs is lower still -an i7 4770 gets you 72.29 MH/s.

P.S.: ASIC= A Single Instruction Computer/Application-specific integrated circuit, they are stricktly one-trick-ponys. In theory you could use a FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) to build yourself a prototype ASIC for any project you like.... :bigsmurf:
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#5 Re: I know you're pirates but...

Post by scole of TSBT »

A HD 7970 has a hash rate of about 700 Mhash/sec. The avg length of time to finish a sgminer WU is about 60 sec. It required about 42 Ghash and it pays 1800, which is about 42 credits per Ghash.

A 110 Ghash ASIC has a hash rate of, well, 110 Ghash/sec. The avg length of time to finish a 1200000 credit cgminer WU is about 900 sec. It required about 99,000 Ghash and paid 1200000 credits, which is about 12 credits per Ghash.

So, hash for hash, GPU WUs actually pay better than the ASIC WUs.

ASIC = Application Specific Integrated Circuit. The miner ASICs are chips that do nothing but run a SHA-256 hash algorithm and they do it lightning fast compared to CPUs. They even make GPUs look slow. But they can only do SHA-256 hashes.

The GPU and ASIC WU credit were based on credit new CPU crunching, believe it or not, and scaled to GPU and ASIC hash rates. The CPU apps actually pay very well for CPU apps (above credit new guide lines), but so few people run them, I don't think it's caused much grumbling. The ASIC app WUs are what draws the most heat, but the credit for those has been brought down far below comparable credit new calculation levels, believe it or not (I think :lol: )

(I never double check my work though, so don't shoot me if I missed a decimal point)
Radio
Boinc Lance Corporal
Boinc Lance Corporal

#6 Re: I know you're pirates but...

Post by Radio »

Thanks for the info gents, I appreciate it and understand now.

Regarding building a FPGA. Perhaps, once I retire and have some time. In the meantime, I'll just have to continue with set & forget.

Bloody pirates, with your fancy cannons... :)

<looks for fancier cannon>

<finds one>

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BITMAIN-AntMi ... 463d000bd5

<backs away slowly due to time factored technical ineptitude>
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#7 Re: I know you're pirates but...

Post by scole of TSBT »

Be aware, not all miners are compatible with the BU project. Check out the compatible miner list before you buy.

You can count on tech support here on TSBT forum :)
Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#8 Re: I know you're pirates but...

Post by Silver »

Radio wrote:
<looks for fancier cannon>

<finds one>

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BITMAIN-AntMi ... 463d000bd5

<backs away slowly due to time factored technical ineptitude>
:shock:
I see your looking at entry level machines there Radio :wink:

As with all crunching you need to work out how much your prepared to spend on both buying and running gear.
There's lots of options to suit most budgets, just shout and I'm sure someone will be able to give you some advice and pointers.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#9 Re: I know you're pirates but...

Post by scole of TSBT »

Like silver mentioned, it all depends on what you want to spend.

The cheapest ASIC option is a Bitmain Antminer. There are several types. The most common model is the 1.6 Gh/s U2. It can be overclocked up to 2 Gh/s but be prepared to keep a fan on it. You can run one from a USB port on your PC, but if you want to run more than one, I'd get a powered USB hub. They appear to be selling for £15-£20 on Ebay.

Before you sink funds into multiple Antminers, you can take a big step to a 32 Gh/s Rockminer. They seem to be scarce on Ebay right now. Here in the US, they've been selling for as low at $25 US. They do require a separate power supply like this...
http://www.amazon.com/12-Volt-Power-Sup ... s=12+v+psu.
The most efficient way is to power them from a 6 pin PCIe power cable off a PSU with a cable like this...
http://www.amazon.com/PCI-E-6-Pin-2-5mm ... wer+supply
If you use one of these, be sure it's made well. I soldered all my wires to the pins. I have several I'm ready to let go of, but I'm in the US. See my offer here...http://www.dunadd.co.uk/seti/forum/view ... =25&t=2683

Next step up is the 100-110 Gh/s Rockminer. There's a few on Ebay. They require a 6 pin PCIe power plug, they same type you plug into a GPU.

From there, are the multi-blade Rockminers like the R3. They are essentially 4 separate 100-110 Gh/s miners. Each one has a separate USB port and requires it's own 6 pin PCIe power.

Be aware, they do use power and the cooling fans do make noise.
The 32 Gh/s Rockminers use 50-60 watts and are pretty quiet really.
The 100-110 Gh/s blades use about 120 watts each and the cooling fans do make noise.

I have a Rockminer R3 with all 4 blades connected to a Raspberry Pi running BU, all powered by a Corsair HX 850 PSU. It pulls over 500 watts when it's running peak.

Let us know if you have any questions.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#10 Re: I know you're pirates but...

Post by Dirk Broer »

I do all me washing with one 333 MH/s Block Erupter (sort of Antminer U1) and two 1.6 GH/s Antminer U2s, connected to a USB 3.0 hub that goes into a USB 3.0 port of an AMD A8-3820 powered Win8.1 box.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Anguillan Pirates”