PS 3

Just as the title says!
stewartcollinge
Boinc Private
Boinc Private

#1 PS 3

Post by stewartcollinge »

Hello folks, I have a PS 3, which is lying, mainly unused, apart from a sporadic bit of gaming... I believe it could be utilised for the "greater good". Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. :shock: Hope you all have a good start to the new year.
You should put the white ball where you want it
Janos (retired)
Still a Newbie

#2 Re: PS 3

Post by Janos (retired) »

No idea. I have never touched a PS3 in my life!
"Happiness can be defined as: a geek with non-work related code to write, no distractions and no deadline." - Janos
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#3 Re: PS 3

Post by Alez »

Little bit of help available here http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_thread.php?id=8705

Basically think it is almost totally unsupported now. Most support now is geared towards pc's and the new up and coming Android devices. Sorry, best I can do just now with very limited access to t'internet.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
PinkPenguin
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#4 Re: PS 3

Post by PinkPenguin »

You might also find this useful: http://www.setiusa.us/faq.php?faq=ps3
To install linux on PS3 (probably still valid even if PS3GRID has given up): http://www.ps3grid.net/forum_thread.php?id=233

You will probably be limited to Yoyo@home the Cruncher OGR subproject as this is the only one that seems to still support PS3 (looks like Primaboinca has given up also unless there is a custom app).
"This is one of those days that the pages of history teach us are best spent lying in bed."
stewartcollinge
Boinc Private
Boinc Private

#5 Re: PS 3

Well folks... this seems to be a no brainer.After going around the "mulberry bush" , it looks grim. Sony have literally pulled the plug on all network computing, upgrade your ps3 and you lose the back door .. i.e. folding@home. So, spring project, buy a case, m/board etc. and build...should be fun (when finances allows ) :lol: any suggestions for a build would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#6 Re: PS 3

Post by Alez »

Lot's of help would be available from the guys here.
First though, I would post up a new thread asking for advice building computer or something as most people know little about the ps3 and might not read your question.

Next you have to decide what you want. Is it for boinc only ? ? or gaming, general usage ? Cpu only Cpu/Gpu, or max points/money GPU, and most importantly ... budget. It's your system and if you are building it you have the options of catering purely for yourself :D Start a new thread, list your priorities for the system and I'm sure the advice will flow :D
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
stewartcollinge
Boinc Private
Boinc Private

#7 Re: PS 3

Thanks for feedback Alez. shall post new thread. It's going to be a cruncher only. Built some in the past from "odds and sods" I think I will need advice about O/S.. GPU/CPU issues etc. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Help”