Unable to attach DHEP on Linux host

Just as the title says!
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#1 Unable to attach DHEP on Linux host

Post by Hal Bregg »

Hi guys,

For some reason I am unable to attach DHEP on Linux Mint 19.1 for some reason.
Boincstats are set to attach project to the host, yet boinc manager is not downloading anything. If I try to add project manually boinc manager is freezing and I have to terminate app.

I tried boinctui as well but after typing in login credential nothing happens for about minute or so and 'Error' is displayed on top of the window.

Using boinccmd result in 'Authorization failure: -155'

Any clues?
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 Re: Unable to attach DHEP on Linux host

Post by davidbam »

Above my pay-grade, I'm afraid Hal. Hopefully someone else will be along soon.

What I did do is attach to DHEP from one of my Ubuntu machines to confirm that DHEP does have Linux WU available. It does - I got a 16 day WU :o
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#3 Re: Unable to attach DHEP on Linux host

Post by Hal Bregg »

No worries, David. I will hit DHEP forum and see if they can come up with solution.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#4 Re: Unable to attach DHEP on Linux host

Post by Alez »

davidBAM wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:00 am What I did do is attach to DHEP from one of my Ubuntu machines to confirm that DHEP does have Linux WU available. It does - I got a 16 day WU :o
The WU don't take 16 days. They are simply place markers.
Work is done and uploaded to the server every 15 mins and credit is granted on a trickle system rather than the standard credit apon return of a unit.
Now to BOINC:

o Credit is awarded hourly for processing done within workunits.
o Workunits are placeholder dummies of non-defined duration with no required validation.
o Percentage progress can be ignored as is meaningless for tasks of non-defined duration.

And that's it! We hope you enjoy our project!

If you'd like more details keep on reading...

o DHE runs a Genetic Algorithm on your computer. These run for a non-defined time until a good solution is found. Hence "progress" within a workunit is meaningless and in fact workunits are dummies and do not represent actual work done.
o The DHE BOINC app will connect to our servers every 15 minutes and upload their progress. You can check how much you have made today (and yesterday) at: http://dhep.ga/statsdailyrankings.php. You can check how many of your cores are actively crunching by checking how many times your username (with spaces as _) appears at: http://dhep.ga/statstopology.php.
o Credit is awarded by a Validated Trickle system and is not awarded on workunit completion, because as mentioned above workunits are dummies. Hence you will receive credit by how much work is done within a workunit.
o Credit is awarded proportional to how much is contributed scientifically. This is roughly proportional to Ghz core/hours. So a core twice as fast will receive roughly twice the credit. Credit is awarded hourly.
o Restarting your BOINC client will show workunits resuming at 0%. This is normal and no work has been lost because you have already been awarded credit for all previous work done within the workunit. Remember the DHE BOINC app connects to our servers every 15 minutes to upload its progress. There is little value in having a percentage completion figure for a task with a non-defined processing time.
o All that said, workunits will occasionally end. This is when the goal at http://dhep.ga/statsgoal.php is changed which is roughly every two to four weeks.
o Computation Error will occasionally be the outcome of workunits. In most cases this is normal: when the server restarts with different class files the client will detect this through a NoClassDefFoundException. This will trigger the client to shutdown and restart as another WU to pick up the new class files.
o Workunits can be aborted at any time without any loss of progress or credit. However a Genetic Algorithm is more efficient when islands are connected continuously.
o Badges will be awarded and there are a variety of stats on which they will be based such as the number of times the Best of all Islands was arrived at on your island (aka 'Who's got the Knack'): all stats visible here: http://dhep.ga/statsrankings.php.
o You can also view live progress of the current run at http://dhep.ga/statsgoal.php and live genetic strains analysis at http://dhep.ga/statsstrains.php, and a list of GPL licenced results at http://dhep.ga/statstschof.php including an online circuit simulator to try them out.
o Any further questions may be answered at http://dhep.ga/faq.php and will be more than happy to help if not.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#5 Re: Unable to attach DHEP on Linux host

Post by davidbam »

Alez wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:17 pm They are simply place markers
Thanks, I think I once knew that then forgot it. I'll put it down to age as I was confusing it with WUprop
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#6 Re: Unable to attach DHEP on Linux host

Post by Alez »

Hal Bregg wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:44 am Hi guys,

Boincstats are set to attach project to the host, yet boinc manager is not downloading anything. If I try to add project manually boinc manager is freezing and I have to terminate app.

I tried boinctui as well but after typing in login credential nothing happens for about minute or so and 'Error' is displayed on top of the window.

Any clues?
No idea why you can't attach to the project. There is nothing different joining DHEP compared to any other BOINC project. Strange.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#7 Re: Unable to attach DHEP on Linux host

Post by Bryan »

Sometimes there is a problem with the server. I ran into this several months ago. There is a thread "Kick the Server". Post in that and explain you can't attach a new machine. The admin will get things working again.
UBT - Woodles
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

#8 Re: Unable to attach DHEP on Linux host

Post by UBT - Woodles »

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=12288

Sounds like you may be running Boinccmd in a different directory to the boinc client?
boinccmd [--host hostname] [--passwd passwd] command
If you run boinccmd in the same directory as the BOINC client, you don't need to supply either a host name or a password.
passwd is rthe value in the gui_rpc_auth.cfg file.
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#9 Re: Unable to attach DHEP on Linux host

Post by Hal Bregg »

UBT - Woodles wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:00 pm https://boinc.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=12288

Sounds like you may be running Boinccmd in a different directory to the boinc client?
boinccmd [--host hostname] [--passwd passwd] command
If you run boinccmd in the same directory as the BOINC client, you don't need to supply either a host name or a password.
passwd is rthe value in the gui_rpc_auth.cfg file.
But neither boinctui or boinc manager failed to attach the project. I am not sure if this matters.

In fact I noticed I have two folders called boinc. I will make another thread about it, hopefully, later today.
pinhodecarlos
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#10 Re: Unable to attach DHEP on Linux host

Post by pinhodecarlos »

Bryan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:57 pm Sometimes there is a problem with the server. I ran into this several months ago. There is a thread "Kick the Server". Post in that and explain you can't attach a new machine. The admin will get things working again.
Since I have access to the server I can easily kick it. You can send me an email to mynickname@yahoo.com.
SETI.USA member
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#11 Re: Unable to attach DHEP on Linux host

Post by Dirk Broer »

Hal Bregg wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:44 am Hi guys,

Any clues?
Added you as friend at DHEP -from my Linux Mint 19.1 box...we might have a choice in reading in common too.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#12 Re: Unable to attach DHEP on Linux host

Post by Dirk Broer »

Any luck yet with DHEP on Linux Mint 19.1?

Do you use BOINCStat's BAM on the Linux Mint box? If not, give it a try -just to have DHEP installed. You can detach from the BAM account manager any time you like afterwards.
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#13 Re: Unable to attach DHEP on Linux host

Post by Hal Bregg »

Hi guys,

I managed to get it working eventually. Simple reboot seems to sort out the problem.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Help”