Manager not connecting to client

Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#1 Manager not connecting to client

Post by Alez »

Under Linux 14.04 there are sometimes issues having the manager connect to the client. Normally the
gui_rpc_auth.cfg file is empty under linux. If you use boinctasks or a remote access program then you will normally have to supply a password. This results in a failure of the Boinc manager to connect to the client.
I have found two solutions so far.

if Boinc installed from the repos
Solution #1

add boinc to your account for permissions purposes.
in terminal ( ctrl - alt t )
sudo usermod -a -G (your account name ) boinc
( you only need to do this once )

In boinc manager -> advanced -> select computer.
computer name 127.0.0.1:31416
password what is in the file /etc/boinc-client/gui_rpc_auth.cfg
( You will need to do this each time you restart boinc )
as a repo install boinc will start at Linux start even if it doesn't connect to the manager. Issue top from terminal to see all running processes to confirm.

Solution #2

Install Boinc from the Berkley installer rather than using the non privileged install from the repos.
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Installing_BOINC

If installed this way you should have no permissions issues but you will have to start the client manually after any reboots or shutdowns.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#2 Re: Manager not connecting to client

Post by Alez »

There have also been odd incidents of the Boinc manager not being able to use port 31416 as default. In that case force the manager and client to use port 31417.

boinc --gui_rpc_port 31417
boincmgr /g --gui_rpc_port=31417
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#3 Re: Manager not connecting to client

Post by davidbam »

Question: If I want to manage a boinc-client machine in say my sister's house, I assume I need to have her router configured to forward port 31416 ?
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#4 Re: Manager not connecting to client

Post by scole of TSBT »

davidBAM wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:35 pm Question: If I want to manage a boinc-client machine in say my sister's house, I assume I need to have her router configured to forward port 31416 ?
Install team viewer on all your systems. Allows remote desktop, on linux, windows and smart phone, without having to forward a port on your router. Of course you'll need to have a desktop version of linux installed.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#5 Re: Manager not connecting to client

Post by davidbam »

Wow - thanks. How come I've never heard of that before? I must get out more.

I'll be wanting to connect to multiple NAT'ed machines at some remote locations so this will certainly be very much cleaner than other methods.
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#6 Re: Manager not connecting to client

Post by Bryan »

I operate remotely 6 months of the year and that is what I use to control the machines.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#7 Re: Manager not connecting to client

Post by Alez »

As Bryan says, best solution. Of course I have a nerve commenting as it's something I should have done years ago and still not got round to .....
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#8 Re: Manager not connecting to client

Post by davidbam »

By the way, my security-conscious mate went apoplectic when I demoed Team Viewer for him. I'll still use it where the remote machine is running Boinc and nothing else but the advice is never to leave it running on any other machine. I will go outbound from a dedicated (and expendable) laptop

We think it tunnels through an existing open port on your Firewall. It would mean that anyone who can hack into the TeamViewer servers will find a treasure-trove of open ports
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#9 Re: Manager not connecting to client

Post by davidbam »

Looking into bolting this down a bit using Whitelists
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#10 Re: Manager not connecting to client

Post by scole of TSBT »

A couple years ago there was a report that TeamViewer servers got hacked and people were reporting unauthorized accessed. I don't recall the alleged unauthorized access was widely reported though and TV said it was an isolated incident caused by a user with the same weak password on all their online accounts. TV does report all new logins under your account and requires authenticating those connections via email or 3 factor auth. I use the Google Authenticator app which requires me to enter the same 6 digit code on the machine logging in as what Google Authenticator is currently showing. The 6 digit code changes frequently, within minutes. The biggest issue you may face is if TV flags you as a business user. You'll have to convince them you aren't using it for business else they'll limit connection times to less than a minute.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#11 Re: Manager not connecting to client

Post by davidbam »

Thanks scole - I have now activated the Google Authenticator, explored whitelists and prevented incoming remote control to my main workstations. Yup, I think that has it bolted down pretty well.

I can understand why the default is relatively open as a remote user isn't, in general, going to know how to first get connected in times of need
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Linux”