working with headless machines

davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#1 working with headless machines

Post by davidbam »

So - no keyboard, no mouse, no monitor, no TeamViewer

As long as you have a network connection and have sshd running, you can do almost anything from another Linux machine. On your workstation ..

ssh -Y root@remoteMachine - gets you a shell prompt on the remote machine and the Y parameter sets up the environment to display graphics on your own workstation. Then it is just a case of knowing the commands used by the linux desktop.

e.g.
# gnome-control-center network runs the X11 client to setup the network on the remote BUT displays the whole thing on your own workstation
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#2 Re: working with headless machines

Post by scole of TSBT »

You can also install a desktop version of OS, setup VNC server, Teamviewer or other remote desktop app. Then remove monitor, keyboard, mouse and move it where you want. It's still headless.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#3 Re: working with headless machines

Post by davidbam »

Yup - not the only way but I like the near-zero footprint when it is only ever used very infrequently. Works great on freeBSD and Rasp Pi too
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#4 Re: working with headless machines

Post by davidbam »

This is really handy - lets you connect to WLAN from the bash CLI

ssh -Y root@remoteMachineOnWiredLan

nmcli radio wifi on; sleep 30; nmcli d wifi connect YOUR-WIFI-SSID password YOUR-WIFI-PASSWD
after that, # gnome-control-center network will see it.

/usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/software-properties-gtk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Linux”