installing Ubuntu 20.04, 19.04 or 18.10 with/without nVidia / AMD

Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#21 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by Dirk Broer »

davidBAM wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:09 am Did you try it with the install in the original posts? I have rx580 in two machines and I'm pretty sure it just worked.
Of course the RX580 will work, it is even more recent than the models in the table (GCN 4!)
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#22 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by davidbam »

My bad, sorry. I saw 580 rather than 280 in the orig question. In mitigation, it was at 3am through bleary eyes :lol:
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#23 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by davidbam »

Captain Kidd wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:21 am when you are sending a post you should be in bed
I quite frequently AM in bed when posting :? :D :D

I would kill for 10hrs of sleep - doubt if I get much more than half of that (and usually that comes in two spells)
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#24 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by Dirk Broer »

Dirk Broer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:49 amHopefully you can use the open-source AMDGPU driver and try adding computing capability from AMDGPU PRO in this way
I am wrestling with the GCN 2 R3 IGPs of my Athlon 5350s myself at the moment....not on the list too.
A very minor victory here -on points. I installed Xubuntu 18.04.2, blacklisted the Radeon driver so the GCN 2 IGP was forced to use AMDGPU -the open source variant.
This resulted in an error very much like the one I encountered when trying to run Intel OpenCL for my Pentium J5005's Intel UHD 605 IGP:
OpenCL platform detected: Mesa
OpenCL platform detected: The pocl project
WARNING: BOINC supplied wrong platform!

The Mesa driver doesn't cut it, pocl is for CPU OpenCL. The J5005 came with yet another driver: Beignet, for Intel GPUs (not cutting it either, but Intel-specific). Replacing Beignet with NEO through github solved that problem, at the cost of running for the time being on a older version of OpenCL, which results in less GFLOPS for the GPU.
Such a thing is entirely lacking from the Open Source drivers for AMD, be it either Radeon or AMDGPU. The open source AMDGPU driver lacks -amongst others- a proper OpenCL-ICD loader.
When you have your system running on AMDGPU and you remove Radeon, BOINC complains 'No Useable GPU found', so the wonky radeon-opencl-icd is needed for BOINC to get an OpenCL device recognized. And BOINC is better (?) at that than the OS itself, because 'clinfo' only reports Mesa and pocl as OpenCL platforms, as do the Seti apps -hence the BOINC error message.
AMDGPU-PRO does provide proper drivers, but only runs on GCN 3 and higher.

I decided to try what I suggested to Scole: load the compute-only files via the AMDGPU-PRO driver. I downloaded the 17.40 variant and after unpacking the files ran
./amdgpu-install --opencl=legacy --headless
Presto! An extra driver, AMD GPU specific. And then the horror when I rebooted: a black screen, only to vanish when I used the option 'nomodeset' -which disables the just installed driver.
I decided to monitor the results of the system -in black screen mode- and got rewarded: It is still active, and even uploads results and downloads new work. Among the results a file that yet has to be validated, but shows

OpenCL platform detected: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Number of OpenCL devices found : 1
BOINC assigns slot on device #0.
Info: BOINC provided OpenCL device ID used
Build features: SETI8 Non-graphics OpenCL USE_OPENCL_HD5xxx OCL_ZERO_COPY OCL_CHIRP3 ASYNC_SPIKE FFTW SSE2 64bit
System: Linux x86_64 Kernel: 4.18.0-18-generic
CPU : AMD Athlon(tm) 5350 APU with Radeon(tm) R3
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#25 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 or 19.04 with/without GPU crunching

Post by davidbam »

updated for Ubuntu 19.04 - a total breeze
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#26 Re: installing Ubuntu 19.04 or 18.10 with/without nVidia / AMD

Post by Dirk Broer »

Xubuntu 18.04 with the souped-up AMDGPU driver wasn't stable, after the Pentathlon I will try again, using a more recent version of AMDGPU-PRO.
If that fails I will try for a RX 550 and to see whether that gives me two useable GPUs in the system.

For Scole my advise is to roll back to a 14.04 version of Linux Ubuntu (or related, capable of using the proprietary FGLRX driver),
or go back to Windows -which has better AMD legacy GPU support.
An alternative is to sell the R9 280 and buy a Radeon VII of course, if money is no objection.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Linux”