installing Ubuntu 20.04, 19.04 or 18.10 with/without nVidia / AMD

davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#1 installing Ubuntu 20.04, 19.04 or 18.10 with/without nVidia / AMD

Post by davidbam »

http://releases.ubuntu.com/disco/ubuntu ... -amd64.iso
http://releases.ubuntu.com/cosmic/ubunt ... -amd64.iso

Copy to USB stick using something like "dd of=/dev/sdd bs=4M if=ubuntu-19.04-desktop-amd64.iso; sync" If you don't already have a Unix system, then I believe there are several Windows utilities to do this

Why Ubuntu? ... I prefer the menu system (and network config) to that offered on Lubuntu - purely personal preference & don't actually find it to be appreciably 'bloated'.

Install from .iso in the normal way. Pretty much everything is default answer but, if you are using a disk with a previous installation, I find it better to Erase Disc during install. https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutorial-i ... 1-overview

Then bring up a Terminal window from menu or with Ctrl-Alt-T

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && apt upgrade -y && 
 apt install openssh-server net-tools htop psensor lm-sensors screen -y    &&        # gets them all at once
 apt update && apt install build-essential git dkms -y && git clone https://github.com/brektrou/rtl8821CU.git && cd rtl8821CU && chmod +x dkms-install.sh && ./dkms-install.sh && modprobe 8821cu && sudo apt update
installingUbuntu
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 with nVidia GPU

Post by davidbam »

Install from .iso as described in post #1

I've used this personally for nVidia cards: GTX960, GTX1080 and GTX1660Ti

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa                   # not needed on 20.04 ... to get relevant drivers
###### then select nvidia-418 driver from Software and updates >> additional drivers  (then reboot)

sudo apt install boinc-client-nvidia-cuda boinc-manager ocl-icd-libopencl1 libcudart10.1 git -y &&
echo "@reboot david sleep 60 && /usr/bin/wget http://10.0.0.22/callingFrom.php?hostname=`hostname`  ## log my hostname and IP in case this is a new machine" >>/etc/crontab

sudo apt install boinc-client-nvidia-cuda boinc-manager ocl-icd-libopencl1 git -y &&
echo "@reboot david sleep 60 && /usr/bin/wget http://10.0.0.22/callingFrom.php?hostname=`hostname`  ## log my hostname and IP in case this is a new machine" >>/etc/crontab
Remember to add WUprop : https://wuprop.boinc-af.org/

Hint: if you are running headless, use ssh -Y hostname and the "Software / updates" is on /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/software-properties-gtk
gnome-control-center network
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#3 with AMD GPU (not at 19.04 sadly)

Post by davidbam »

https://xtremesystemsteam.org/index.php ... l#msg72338
https://community.amd.com/thread/238156

Install from .iso as described in post #1

I've used this personally for AMD cards: R7-350, Firepro W5100 and RX580

sudo apt install boinc-client-opencl boinc-manager

Then reboot and try boinc
Remember to add WUprop : https://wuprop.boinc-af.org/

https://www.amd.com/en/support
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/relea ... stallation
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/forum_thread ... e=&start=0
https://einsteinathome.org/content/quic ... tro?page=4
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#4 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by Alez »

Any update on AMD ? Has ubuntu finally embraced AMD cards ?
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#5 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by davidbam »

Yes, all working well.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#6 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by Alez »

Guess I'll try this on the next 4 systems coming online for the WCG challenges then.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#7 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by davidbam »

I'd better dust off my installation notes and post them then. Pretty sure you will sail through it
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#8 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by Alez »

Pretty please with bells on.... Got at least 6 AMD cards looking for a home.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#9 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by Dirk Broer »

Alez wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:57 amPretty please with bells on.... Got at least 6 AMD cards looking for a home.
I wouldn't expect much for anything older than the present Vega architecture -that is: for recent Linux distributions.
Nothing is stopping you from re-installing with e.g. Lubuntu 15.04 in orde to make proper use of the previous generations of Ati/AMD cards.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#10 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by Alez »

Most are 7 series AMD cards, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a better option Dirk.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#11 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by davidbam »

Alez wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:57 am Pretty please with bells on.... Got at least 6 AMD cards looking for a home.
Please see post #3 (and #1) for AMD which should get you very close (unless I've missed something off). I'll doubtless be doing another machine fairly soon so will double-check it then

I found it pretty straightforward as I was mostly mimicking your own instructions from other threads. Do please report back if I need to update post #3.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#12 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by davidbam »

I must have loaded 6 or 7 machines like this today - some with AMD, most with nVidia. The method in the top 3 posts is simple and effective.

All off my machines are now on Ubuntu 18.10 with the exception of one Linux Mint and two FreeBSD where there are mitigating circumstances :dance: :dance:
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#13 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by davidbam »

Alez wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:51 am Most are 7 series AMD cards, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a better option Dirk.
Yes

I had to go back to Ubuntu 18.05 to get support for an ATI Firepro v4800 which is reported as AMD Redwood. Currently getting about 150K per day on Collatz
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#14 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by scole of TSBT »

So what do I need to install to crunch on R9 280x GPUs?
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#15 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by Dirk Broer »

scole of TSBT wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:19 am So what do I need to install to crunch on R9 280x GPUs?
Download at the AMD site the AMGGPU PRO driver and intall it. AND keep your fingers crossed.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#16 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by scole of TSBT »

Dirk Broer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:29 am
scole of TSBT wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:19 am So what do I need to install to crunch on R9 280x GPUs?
Download at the AMD site the AMDGPU PRO driver and intall it. AND keep your fingers crossed.
I've read that AMDGPU PRO won't work on with those GPUs. Not on the supported GPU list here...https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=248059
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#17 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by Dirk Broer »

scole of TSBT wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:37 am
Dirk Broer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:29 am
Download at the AMD site the AMDGPU PRO driver and intall it. AND keep your fingers crossed.
I've read that AMDGPU PRO won't work on with those GPUs. Not on the supported GPU list here...https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=248059
Who do you believe? A Mint forum or the AMD download site
The RX 280 is GCN 1st generation and should be supported. THIS might help though, as all GPU in the attachment are GCN 2 and higher.
You can also try to install AMDGPU (without PRO, included in the distro), but I'm afraid that does not include OpenCL -by itself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#18 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by scole of TSBT »

I don't see R9 280X on that list
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#19 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by Dirk Broer »

scole of TSBT wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:31 am I don't see R9 280X on that list
True, only GCN2 and later. I saw 290, 290X, 270X and assumed 280 would also be supported, but the R9 280 card is older -internally- than it looks on the outside.

Hopefully you can use the open-source AMDGPU driver and try adding computing capability from AMDGPU PRO in this way

I am wrestling with the GCN2 R3 IGPs of my Athlon 5350s myself at the moment....not on the list too.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#20 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by davidbam »

Did you try it with the install in the original posts? I have rx580 in two machines and I'm pretty sure it just worked.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#21 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by Dirk Broer »

davidBAM wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:09 am Did you try it with the install in the original posts? I have rx580 in two machines and I'm pretty sure it just worked.
Of course the RX580 will work, it is even more recent than the models in the table (GCN 4!)
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#22 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by davidbam »

My bad, sorry. I saw 580 rather than 280 in the orig question. In mitigation, it was at 3am through bleary eyes :lol:
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#23 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by davidbam »

Captain Kidd wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:21 am when you are sending a post you should be in bed
I quite frequently AM in bed when posting :? :D :D

I would kill for 10hrs of sleep - doubt if I get much more than half of that (and usually that comes in two spells)
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#24 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 with/without GPU crunching

Post by Dirk Broer »

Dirk Broer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:49 amHopefully you can use the open-source AMDGPU driver and try adding computing capability from AMDGPU PRO in this way
I am wrestling with the GCN 2 R3 IGPs of my Athlon 5350s myself at the moment....not on the list too.
A very minor victory here -on points. I installed Xubuntu 18.04.2, blacklisted the Radeon driver so the GCN 2 IGP was forced to use AMDGPU -the open source variant.
This resulted in an error very much like the one I encountered when trying to run Intel OpenCL for my Pentium J5005's Intel UHD 605 IGP:
OpenCL platform detected: Mesa
OpenCL platform detected: The pocl project
WARNING: BOINC supplied wrong platform!

The Mesa driver doesn't cut it, pocl is for CPU OpenCL. The J5005 came with yet another driver: Beignet, for Intel GPUs (not cutting it either, but Intel-specific). Replacing Beignet with NEO through github solved that problem, at the cost of running for the time being on a older version of OpenCL, which results in less GFLOPS for the GPU.
Such a thing is entirely lacking from the Open Source drivers for AMD, be it either Radeon or AMDGPU. The open source AMDGPU driver lacks -amongst others- a proper OpenCL-ICD loader.
When you have your system running on AMDGPU and you remove Radeon, BOINC complains 'No Useable GPU found', so the wonky radeon-opencl-icd is needed for BOINC to get an OpenCL device recognized. And BOINC is better (?) at that than the OS itself, because 'clinfo' only reports Mesa and pocl as OpenCL platforms, as do the Seti apps -hence the BOINC error message.
AMDGPU-PRO does provide proper drivers, but only runs on GCN 3 and higher.

I decided to try what I suggested to Scole: load the compute-only files via the AMDGPU-PRO driver. I downloaded the 17.40 variant and after unpacking the files ran
./amdgpu-install --opencl=legacy --headless
Presto! An extra driver, AMD GPU specific. And then the horror when I rebooted: a black screen, only to vanish when I used the option 'nomodeset' -which disables the just installed driver.
I decided to monitor the results of the system -in black screen mode- and got rewarded: It is still active, and even uploads results and downloads new work. Among the results a file that yet has to be validated, but shows

OpenCL platform detected: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Number of OpenCL devices found : 1
BOINC assigns slot on device #0.
Info: BOINC provided OpenCL device ID used
Build features: SETI8 Non-graphics OpenCL USE_OPENCL_HD5xxx OCL_ZERO_COPY OCL_CHIRP3 ASYNC_SPIKE FFTW SSE2 64bit
System: Linux x86_64 Kernel: 4.18.0-18-generic
CPU : AMD Athlon(tm) 5350 APU with Radeon(tm) R3
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#25 Re: installing Ubuntu 18.10 or 19.04 with/without GPU crunching

Post by davidbam »

updated for Ubuntu 19.04 - a total breeze
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#26 Re: installing Ubuntu 19.04 or 18.10 with/without nVidia / AMD

Post by Dirk Broer »

Xubuntu 18.04 with the souped-up AMDGPU driver wasn't stable, after the Pentathlon I will try again, using a more recent version of AMDGPU-PRO.
If that fails I will try for a RX 550 and to see whether that gives me two useable GPUs in the system.

For Scole my advise is to roll back to a 14.04 version of Linux Ubuntu (or related, capable of using the proprietary FGLRX driver),
or go back to Windows -which has better AMD legacy GPU support.
An alternative is to sell the R9 280 and buy a Radeon VII of course, if money is no objection.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Linux”