BURP

Forum rules
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#11 Re: BURP

Post by Bryan »

I'm running 4 x 16t and I see 84% sometimes. It uses the threads very inefficiently. You can run more WU w/ less threads BUT I can tell you now you can't handle 16 x 4t. My 128G RAM machines choke on that setting. The efficiency goes way up with that setting but it eats RAM big time ... over 2G/thread.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#12 Re: BURP

Post by davidbam »

Hmmm - I am running 3 instances each with a single 64 thread WU + 16 threads of Universe (to empty a buffer).

htop is reporting long-term load averages of about 66-68 & I can't see any appreciable increase in computation time for Universe WU. HIghest RAM usage I've seen on htop is 24Gb (out of 32Gb fitted)
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#13 Re: BURP

Post by Bryan »

According to THIS page it requires 9.7GB of RAM / WU.

Figuring 10G/WU it will tell you how many WU you can run and from that you can divide up the number of threads you want to run.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#14 Re: BURP

Post by Megacruncher »

Well I’m just glad to be getting any BURP WU at all!
In just over 13 years of trying I’d amassed a princely 3K of credits. Then, BANG!, I get 13 times that in 24hrs.
If the work supply keeps up for a few days then it’ll be scoring for FB. Which, as things stand, would bag TSBT another 25 points! Also the prospect of reaching a million for it seems at very least possible.

BTW there’s work for Windows CPU as well.
Willie the Megacruncher
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#15 Re: BURP

Post by davidbam »

Megacruncher wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:18 pm would bag TSBT another 25 points
yup :dance: :dance:

I am wondering if this project has come alive for an upcoming FB Sprint. Maybe it doesn't work that way?
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#16 Re: BURP

Post by Bryan »

It probably won't be a Sprint project ... the work is too spotty. Although it wouldn't be the 1st time a sprint was called on a project that had little or no work :lol:
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#17 Re: BURP

Post by Megacruncher »

It would be, either, a feat of unprecedented coordination & cooperation, or the freakiest fluke ever, if FB called a sprint on BURP during one of it's rare spells of up-time. My money would be on fluke. But like Bryan says it's not likely to be selected.

Even if this bonanza lasts another 2 weeks, which I doubt, I personally wouldn't bother bunkering it for the next sprint.
Willie the Megacruncher
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#18 Re: BURP

Post by davidbam »

Megacruncher wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:10 pm
Even if this bonanza lasts another 2 weeks, which I doubt, I personally wouldn't bother bunkering it for the next sprint.
Bonanza seems to be over for now.

Bunkering is rendered (pun intended) impossible by short deadlines and only 4WU issued per-instance. No, my sprint speculation will be elsewhere :D
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#19 Re: BURP

Post by Megacruncher »

Yup. The party is over for now.
But we've got 25 FB points out of it and my tally has increased, 30+ fold, by over 100K.
A week ago I calculated it would take me 4300 years to get to 1 million for BURP. Now that has shortened to just another 112 years.
Willie the Megacruncher
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#20 Re: BURP

Post by davidbam »

LOL - hang in there, friend
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#21 Re: BURP

Post by Bryan »

The party is over but I still have over 5k WU sitting in pending. They are slowly coming down ... in the last 12 hours it went from 8800 to 5600.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#22 Re: BURP

Post by Alez »

Megacruncher wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:59 pm A week ago I calculated it would take me 4300 years to get to 1 million for BURP. Now that has shortened to just another 112 years.
We should all have goals in life ..... :D
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#23 Re: BURP

Post by Bryan »

And now the server has crashed ... why did ya break it Mega?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “BURP”