Credit on CPDN

Forum rules
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

#1 Credit on CPDN

Post by Reeltime »

Anyone else getting ridiculously low returns on CPSN at the moment, I appear to be getting about 1200-1400 per day for 4 cores.... would hope for a bit more than that
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

I have not noticed it. If I ignore the big peak when the servers came back on-line I seem to be getting more from CPDN inspite of my having given priority to finishing off the SIMAP units I downloaded in the last few days.

But then I'm doing HADAM3P units on v6.06 of the climate app and not HADAM3(h) units on v6.01 of the climate app.
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

I just had 15k credit added on CPDN, but I haven't crunched it for a couple of weeks. 8)

Money for old rope,or catching up for lost credits missed out earlier? Anyone else been granted this windfall?
steve

Post by steve »

Nightlord wrote:I just had 15k credit added on CPDN, but I haven't crunched it for a couple of weeks. 8)

Money for old rope,or catching up for lost credits missed out earlier? Anyone else been granted this windfall?

I lost 400k somewhere :( :( :(
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

steve wrote:
Nightlord wrote:I just had 15k credit added on CPDN, but I haven't crunched it for a couple of weeks. 8)

I lost 400k somewhere :( :( :(
...Uhm! same here... got 892 today and CPDN has been on hold for just over a week...

...er Steve, are you sure it isn't the Chinese... I understand they're kind of fiendish ! :D
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Looks like some very big CPDN numberas today. Have they found those missings sacks of credits in the corner?
Storme

Post by Storme »

http://climateprediction.net/board/view ... 248#p85248
Carl rewrote the CPDN credit scripts as part of the big database and server upgrade. His new scripts run much faster than the old ones. There are now, however, some credit anomalies.

* There is an inexplicable loss of a small % of our total credits. Different percentages for different members but in no case very large. This is the credit loss showing today on the stats sites. There are several possible causes. For example, Carl has archived a lot of our old data because the database had become gigantic; this archiving may have resulted in the loss of some credits. Carl has been working on the server upgrade since Sunday and does not intend to spend more time looking for these lost credits!

* The Boinc cross-project comparison table shows that CPDN has been awarding credits at a lower rate than most other projects including Seti. CPDN also has a 'reference computer' used to compare credit given by Seti and CPDN. Our programmers can calculate credit comparisons per processing hour on the same computer.

Why compare with Seti? Because 1) it's the original Boinc project 2) when CPDN migrated to Boinc our credits were set at levels similar to Seti 3) the Seti programmers have taken many steps to avoid inflation or deflation of the value of their credits.

So Carl has decided to increase the credits awarded for all models by 5%. This increase has already been implemented retrospectively, which should compensate for the inexplicable loss. (So today's negative figures on the stats sites should be reversed tomorrow or on Saturday.) And in future we'll earn 5% more than before.

* Credits for each completed model type have been increased as follows:

* HadAM3 was 5,184.00, now 5,443.20, +5%
* HadAM3P was 1,982.64, now 2,081.77, +5%
* HadCM3 (80 year) was 24,883.20, now 26,127, +5%
* HadCM3 (160 year) was 49,766.40, now 52,254.72, +5%
* HadSM3 was 6,805.26, now 7,145.52, +5%
* HadSM3MH was 9,073.68, now 9,527.36, +5%

Credits per trickle will of course also increase by 5%.
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Well it explains it. Can you just imagine the discussions in the datacentre:

Engineer: "Hey boss the database is getting full, we need to archive some data"

Boss: "OK, but make sure you don't loose anything"

Engineer: "OK boss will do.....right, let's see ...clunk....oh bugger, 5% of the database just got hosed, um, how do I get out of this....Hey boss, I just discovered we've been underpaying all these years , so I'm gonna increase all credits by 5% retrospectively OK?"

Boss: "Crikey, yes of course, do it and do it now, we'll look so cool to our users. I'm putting you up for the WOW award!"

Engineer: "hee, hee: they'll never know....."

* WOW = Worker of the Week, or you own variation thereof
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Engineer: "hee, hee: they'll never know....."
Simon Travaglia went one better than that try the first BOFH article:
http://bofh.ntk.net/Bastard1.html (came out at the end of the eighties so the tec is dated - but nothing has changed since then.... :D )

By the way Steve: Milo has asked a question in the CPDN forum today (after the news was posted):

"Has anyone whose credit total has dropped noticed any change in the list of computers attached to the project? I'm not sure yet if that's got anything to do with these problems but it's something I'll take a look at."

See this thread:
http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cpdnb ... true#37754

I don't think 10% is small (and it is not compensated byt the 5% increase which was calculated after the loss). Looks like they might try to recover the lost credits next week....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Climate Prediction”