How to get enough work for CPDN.

Forum rules
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#1 How to get enough work for CPDN.

Post by Megacruncher »

Is it just me or have others found it difficult to get enough work -ie at least one WU per core - for this project?

I think it maybe a particular problem with some of the newer varieties of Boinc Manager and relates to the extreme length of the CPDN "models" (=work units).

The following worked for me.
  • In Advanced View for Boinc Manager Open "Advanced..." -> "Preferences..."
    Click on the tab for "network usage"
    Set "Connect about every" to 25 days
    Set "Additional Work Buffer" to 10 days.
    Suspend all other projects.
    Update CPDN
    A few minutes later Resume all other projects
Let me know if it works for you!
Willie the Megacruncher
steve

Post by steve »

Same problem here only happens on the gpu machines ... Have tried suspending all gpu work but will still only get 1 wu
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

yeah it not giving me enough wu's to feed all the threads of the i7. im only getting the 4 wu's so i've still got wcg running on the other threads till i can work it out.
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

I think this is what was effecting me last night too but it sems to have cleared up this morning.

It's currently downloading 8 in parallel for me right now.

Edit: Ahh but I also updated the client to the 6.6.7 version and it's working so maybe that has had an effect too.
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

There's been quite a bit of discussion recently about the work fetch policies - especially considering CPDN. I suspect the new release (See Jock's post) has a 'tweaked' version of the policy in it that may make a significant difference.

Btw, it's well known @ CPDN that running multiple copies of some of the model types is very bad for computer performance. I don't know the details, but I'm sure a quick search on the CPDN boards will enlighten anyone that cares.
Image Image
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Forget every thing I said earlier. 6.6.7 is the answer install it now! As well as getting you lots of work it even sorts those machines that would only ever run 3 + 1. They now do 4 + 1 no problem.
Willie the Megacruncher
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

ok please don't be like me and install the 32 bit over the 64 bit version as you then lose all current work....

yes I am an idiot! lol
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

ok idiot correction. installing the 32 bit version goes into a different folder so everything is still there. i just had to install the 64 bit again to make it the main install.

everything now working and we'll see how it goes.
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

as nice as that version was i had to roll back to 6.4.5 as it refused to give me any gpu work no matter what i tried.

So it looks like im going to have to upgrade to get CPDN work and then downgrade it back to make sure i don't lose out on GPUGrid work.

Ah the life of the 24/7 cruncher. its a joy.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Yes I found the same. :? OTOH once you've got 8 CPDN WU lined up that'll do you for a few weeks. By which time they might have a decent BM for us.
Willie the Megacruncher
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

Ok, I think I have eventually got this to work properly. I downloaded and installed the newest experimental version of BOINC 6.6.12

I finally have enough CPDN wus to crunch. Just got to get rid of the Primegrid I downloaded in order for the comp to be doing something...

Andone else tried running primegrid on this version, because the progress bar is going crazy. It goes up about 8% then down 6, up another 8, down anoother 6. Is this normal?
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

I am currently struggling big time. I/m in the position qagain where only 1 GPU is seen and the other one is failing all units. It downloads 8 all fail and I'm stuck for the day.

I will have to try 6.6.12 and see how I fare.
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

funnilly enough i bugged back to one gpu after a recent graphics driver update. going to rollback it and / or boinc when i get a chance to see if i can get the two to show again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Climate Prediction”