Campaign #14 Free book of Medical Physiology in Modelica

Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#1 Campaign #14 Free book of Medical Physiology in Modelica

Post by Alez »

Campaign #14 Free book of Medical Physiology in Modelica

his campaign is about to create a freely available open access book under creative commons named “Medical Physiology in Modelica” and collect resources to support us to fully focus on this work for several months.

We are scientist, PhD students, postdocs and we realized that many modeling technology are not intuitive for non-technical experts and allows bad practices. And we found that Modelica language seems to provide understandable and still non-trivial models. We are authors of free opensource Modelica libraries Physiolibrary (1st library award at Modelica Conference 2014) and Chemical (1st library award at Modelica Conference 2015). There are already books about modeling and books about modeling biology and medicine but no book with working examples in some visually plausible technology.

We would like to write a free book that will bridge the gap between technology (mathematics, modeling, numerical simulation) and domain of medicine and physiology. The book will utilize the free libraries to introduce interesting aspects of medical physiology from the perspective of mathematical modeling that will be comprehensible.

We have also classical campaign to ask individual donators at http://igg.me/at/mephysmo/
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#2 Re: Campaign #14 Free book of Medical Physiology in Modelica

Post by Silver »

What :?
I'm sure if I could understand all that I'd be fully behind it :)
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#3 Re: Campaign #14 Free book of Medical Physiology in Modelica

Post by Alez »

This is from another source. https://www.gitbook.com/book/tomaskulha ... ca/details

and the software they want to use openmodelica

This book is being written for the students, researchers and other people interested in mathematical models of medical physiology.

We would like to make this book free, but we need to suport the first relase of this book. Please help us via crowdfunding campaign at Indiegogo igg.me/at/mephysmo

Embedded Video:

For formalizing medical physiology we have chosen the Modelica standard language as it is open, provides some key features (object oriented, equation-based, acausal) which seems to best capture the essence of the modeled reality. However, the examples presented within this book could be implemented with less or more effort in other modeling language.

While we have chosen the Modelica standard language, the details of general Modelica is covered by excelent published works by Peter Fritzson1 and a free online book by Michael Tiller2. This book focus on examples related to medical physiology.
Who we are?

We are group of scientists, students in the multidisciplinar field of medical physiology, computer science, numerical mathematics, computer designers. Among our duties is to teach students of biomedical engineering the modeling and simulation and to design and develop innovative approach toward Medical Physiology. Among others, the authors of this book are developing free libraries for Modelica language Physiolibrary (1st library award at Modelica conference 2014) and Chemical(1st library award at Modelica conference 2015).
Why we need a support?

If we will charge the book, it will be not broadly available for everyone who is interested. The support will give us freedom to fully focus on writing the book from the collected materials we already have. Prior to some innovative grant, we would like to try this way to support the creation of this book.
Why so big ammount of money?

We need to support several people for several months (4-6) to fully focus on qualitative material preparation. Writing book, writing/revieweing examples, improving free Modelica libraries ( Physiolibrary, Chemical).
Why a book of modeling medical physiology?

Modelica is not yet widely used technology for modeling biology and physiology. In some cases the Modelica is not us ed with it's strong features. We believe that learning curve of accepting Modelica will compensate productivity and visual plausibility of the models by other domain experts.
What will be delivered at the end of the project?

We would like to release the book under creative commons licence. So the book will be available free of charge to anybody. We would like to release PDF, ebook and printed version of the book as well, but this will need additional costs, so we do not promise that the additional form of the book will be free. The book will contain many examples, which will encourage us to update and enhance the free libraries Physiolibrary and Chemical too.
What will be time-frame of the project?

Beta release is planned to be until IEEE Engineering in Biology and Medicine Conference 2016. Final release will be introduced also in Modelica conference in 2017.
References

1. Peter Fritzson - "Principles of Object-Oriented Modeling and Simulation with Modelica 3.3: A Cyber-Physical Approach" ↩

2. Michael Tiller - "Modelica by Example", book.xogeny.com ↩

Licence

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
utopia-i
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#4 Re: Campaign #14 Free book of Medical Physiology in Modelica

Post by utopia-i »

€0EUR
raised in 9 hours
0% funded 60 days left
€2,500 EUR goal
Flexible Funding
Your contribution

CONTRIBUTE NOW
... is that apple pie I smell

Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#5 Re: Campaign #14 Free book of Medical Physiology in Modelica

Post by Alez »

I will have some 32 GH/s and some 100 GH/s ASIC boxes for sale if anyone wants to contribute. Pm if interested.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#6 Re: Campaign #14 Free book of Medical Physiology in Modelica

Post by Alez »

C14 is now completed. Over 1000 euros donated.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Bitcoin Utopia”