There's been some cheating on BU...

Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#1 There's been some cheating on BU...

Post by scole of TSBT »

Some user on Team China putting up ridiculous numbers, like 33 billion per day, and they suspect he's just uploading the same completed result file each time. Saw this over at SETI.USA posted by Mumps...

Over the past 5 days, Set\/e, myself, and others have been trying to communicate through rebirther with Henri to track down and address what we've determined is a single user that is putting up huge numbers on BU by returning the same results file for just about every WU he receives. It took a while to even convince rebirther that it *was* invalid results, and since that point, he's gone silent. In response, Ste\/e has decided to go dark, and I am encouraging everyone else to join in. If they won't respond to studied analysis of the situation, maybe they'll respond to losing most of their true crunching power.

Here's the thread at BU where it was brought up...http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinuto ... =975#10327
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#2 Re: There's been some cheating on BU...

Post by Alez »

Fcuks sake .... not as if it doesn't give enough credit as it is. If they don't deal with this and strip all credit then I agree with Mumps.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#3 Re: There's been some cheating on BU...

Post by Dirk Broer »

Talking about -possible- cheating: can anyone explain some of the high WCG badges of a certain Denim of team Seti.USA? or P D W of OcUK - Overclockers UK?
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#4 Re: There's been some cheating on BU...

Post by scole of TSBT »

I don't know about Overclockers UK, but over at SUSA, some of the members have crunched for other members. Mumps could earn you a sapphire badge from scratch in a day. They're keen on strategy, but they wouldn't do anything like the guy on BU.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#5 Re: There's been some cheating on BU...

Post by Alez »

I've pulled any cunching for BU until this guy has his account banned and all credit stripped from user, team and country. An app was set up to pay for the running of BU and this level of oversight is unacceptable.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#6 Re: There's been some cheating on BU...

Post by Dirk Broer »

scole250 wrote:I don't know about Overclockers UK, but over at SUSA, some of the members have crunched for other members. Mumps could earn you a sapphire badge from scratch in a day. They're keen on strategy, but they wouldn't do anything like the the guy on BU.
I can more or less understand how the cheating at BU works -and it is almost unbelievable he -马致远- thinks he can get away with it-, but how can one have a sapphire badge with 38:22:30:57? If and when Mumps has crunched for Denim, the hours and credit should show too.
utopia-i
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#7 Re: There's been some cheating on BU...

Post by utopia-i »

I dont crunch that project but my 2 cents worth ... put the servers offline until the mess is sorted out, is it not that easy ?

having read the Forum thread, there are some impressive posts from the crunching elite, well done Alez etal for taking a stand ...
... is that apple pie I smell

scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#8 Re: There's been some cheating on BU...

Post by scole of TSBT »

The BU admins have their work cut out for them. The project uses a stock cgminer program downloaded from the web, not a custom version. They use the output from that stock version as the validation criteria for each WU. Nothing special. They just look for certain text showing the hashing work was completed. There's nothing in that process that actually verifies the work was done though. What someone did was modify a version of cgminer to do nothing more than write what looked like valid output. It never performed a single hash. The BU admins are going to have to create a custom version of cgminer that outputs some type of unique info they can match/verify again info they store on their server about that WU.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#9 Re: There's been some cheating on BU...

Post by Bryan »

Dirk Broer wrote:Talking about -possible- cheating: can anyone explain some of the high WCG badges of a certain Denim of team Seti.USA? or P D W of OcUK - Overclockers UK?
Part of the answer is very simple. Since I can't get ALL WCG badges beyond GREEN (retired projects) then I take NONE past that point. We ran a challenge a while back and I crunched 100% for Denim for a week. Others have helped him as well. His badges aren't totally from his phones :roll: In fact, that was during the Pentathlon and WCG ran for 2 weeks. I gave him over 1000 days worth of work and there were also others helping him.

I wouldn't count on the FreeDC stats being totally accurate. BOK has to run a "special" script to update WCG information because they have a very oddball (non standard) stats update. I've had badges change colors (shown on WCG) and sometimes it is weeks before it changes color on FreeDC.

I guarantee you that Denim has not cheated!
Janos (retired)
Still a Newbie

#10 Re: There's been some cheating on BU...

Post by Janos (retired) »

Bryan wrote:We ran a challenge a while back and I crunched 100% for Denim for a week. Others have helped him as well. His badges aren't totally from his phones :roll:
Cool :bounce:
"Happiness can be defined as: a geek with non-work related code to write, no distractions and no deadline." - Janos
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Bitcoin Utopia”