Bitcoin on Linux

Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#1 Bitcoin on Linux

Post by Alez »

Well I tried to get Bitcoin to run on Linux. What I did was

I already have Boinc 7.2.42 install from the ubuntu repository, plus the 32 bit libs etc. and running primegrid. I plugged in the miner ( BFL Jalapeno ) then

To check if the drivers are loaded (tutorial derived from here: http://ftdi-usb-sio.sourceforge.net/),

run this command
lsusb | grep -i ft

and you should see a readout like this:
Bus 001 Device 031: ID 0403:6014 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

where the 0403 is the vendor ID and 6014 is the product ID or at least in the case of my Jalapeno

run this command to manually probe for the device
modprobe ftdi_sio vendor=0x403 product=0x6014 (you may have to change the vendor or product ID for your device)

to test that it worked run this
dmesg | tail

and you should see a readout similar to this:
USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
ftdi_sio 1-5.6:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
usb 1-5.6: Detected FT8U232AM
usb 1-5.6: Number of endpoints 2
usb 1-5.6: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64
usb 1-5.6: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
usb 1-5.6: Setting MaxPacketSize 64
usb 1-5.6: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio
ftdi_sio: v1.5.0:USB FTDI Serial Converters Driver

once you've loaded the drivers properly,

check to see that your device is listed under connected USB devices by running:
ls -l /dev/ttyUSB*

If it is listed, which by now there should be no chance it is not you need to change the USB permissions of the device by running:
chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB*

I couldn't change permission so I did

So far the user 'boinc' is not allowed to access the USB devices, we will change that now. To do so we need to change the udev rules (or better add one)
As root (sudo....) create a file in the directory /etc/udev/rules.d/ the filename is 50-group.rules, with the following content
# /etc/udev/rules.d/50-group.rules
SUBSYSTEM!="usb", GOTO="skip_rule"
ACTION=="add", GROUP="plugdev"
LABEL="skip_rule"

This will add a rule that whenever a usb device is added the group for the device-file is set to 'plugdev'. This group already exists on ubuntu .
To activate the rule the 'udev' service needs to be restarted
sudo service udev restart

Now unplug the miner devices, wait a little bit and replug them

Now we need to add the user 'boinc' to the group 'plugdev'
sudo usermod -a -G plugdev boinc

to check the group has been added I did

sudo apt-get install members
once installed I did
members plugdev and checked that it returned my account and boinc.

I then attached to Bitcoin through BAMStats.

It successfully attached to the project and downloaded the master file etc. but so far I have not managed to get a unit to crunch. Update simply returns no units available, so I guess I am fighting the Boinc scheduler but as I already have Boinc installed and all set up I have no desire to download the latest beta from berkley and install separately. I don't run Boinc with the plan class for ASICs on windows so I don't see why I would get this to work the same on windows.

Any comments on what might be wrong please let me know.

more info here https://forums.butterflylabs.com/showwi ... ux+distros
and
http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinuto ... php?id=473
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Janos (retired)
Still a Newbie

#2 Re: Bitcoin on Linux

Post by Janos (retired) »

What does the boinc log say? Is there work for your OS? Might need to go anon.
"Happiness can be defined as: a geek with non-work related code to write, no distractions and no deadline." - Janos
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#3 Re: Bitcoin on Linux

Post by scole of TSBT »

The raspberry pi BU app is setup to run on an ARM system. Will an app compiled for that type of processor/system run on your platform? If not, ask Reb if he can setup an app for you.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#4 Re: Bitcoin on Linux

Post by Alez »

Boinc log says no work available for campaign blah, blah.

tried 333MH/s and 1.6GH/s apps for all 5 campaigns. Same - no work sent.

According to the app list on BU there is a Linux app available for all. Think I will pm Reb and see if they are available.
myshortpencil

#5 Re: Bitcoin on Linux

Post by myshortpencil »

You probably have this fixed by now, but you need to upgrade BM to 7.4.22, which I think also requires some additional Linux "stuff."
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#6 Re: Bitcoin on Linux

Post by Alez »

Jerry,I run 7.4.8 ( the last Boinc before the plan class change ) on all my windows machines and they work fine. The upgrade is only necessary if you want to avoid all the work fetch issues associated with other projects being run on the cpu. My Linux has boinc installed from the repo's. Boinc beta from berkley can't be used as an upgrade and I have no intention of jumping through the hoops of getting my account, boinc and nVidia drivers to play ball again. The latest versions of Linux and GPU drivers for crunching are a massive PITA. As far as I am aware all the required libraries are installed, but can't be sure until I manage to pull some work and get it to run or fail.
Waiting for Reb to get back to me on if the Linux app is still live or not. If I get time tomorrow will test the miner stand alone with cgminer.
myshortpencil

#7 Re: Bitcoin on Linux

Post by myshortpencil »

Concur on the PITA. Mumps, on SETI.USA, is running an RK Box and 2 BFL 60s on a Linux machine for me, but I know he upgraded to 7.4.22. Sorry I can't be of more help. Mumps is usually on our team IRC between 10 and 11 pm, Eastern Time. Bad time for you, I'm sure, but if you'd like to drop in and ask some questions, he's the expert on Linux. Our IRC chat channel is irc://irc.Freenode.net/team_seti.usa.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#8 Re: Bitcoin on Linux

Post by Alez »

Cheers for that. Will try and get an updated version from this ppa ppa:costamagnagianfranco/boinc
It works fine on collatz, prime etc but wont pull work from BU or GPUGrid. Will have another pop tonight.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#9 Re: Bitcoin on Linux

Post by Alez »

Tried Janos suggestion and made it run anon app with config. No joy. Have found a repo with the latest BOINC but it's 14.04 only and I'm running 13.10 which I can't update. Oh well looks like full Linux install if I go ahead.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Bitcoin Utopia”