Welcome Back QMC

Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
PinkPenguin

#1 Welcome Back QMC

Post by PinkPenguin »

Looks like an old favorite has returned:

http://qmcathome.org/index.html

This time with two projects - the original Quantum Chemistry setup and a new Clean Energy (green batteries for cars) project. :D
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

Is anyone running this? I have a couple of work units for cleanmobility but despit running for over three hours they show no progress.....

Have out them on suspend for the moment. :?
Image Image
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

I am running this but time run and time to run are wildly inacurate. It seams they finish without much forewarning after a "long" time and points are awarded - nothing spectacular. Treat them as test units... like Albert or Seti Beta. :?

I have one which has been runing for around 80 hours now... will let you know when and if it finishes.
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

I assume they do check-point at some stage then?!? My two went back to zero when the machine wsa hutdown for the night.... :?
Image Image
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

MacDitch wrote:I assume they do check-point at some stage then?!? My two went back to zero when the machine wsa hutdown for the night.... :?
Mine didn't go back to zero when I had to reboot this morning due to a power cut. Just a very low % done, same as before the cut, and a time to run that increases very slowly but steadily... :(

I confess to a little puzzlement at the behaviour. I have to admit I am not paying a lot of attention as the first two went through OK in between 20 and 35 hours on the same machine so I just presumed these two would sort themselves out... eventually. According to WUPROP the current two units have clocked up about twice the time of the first two units and are still going strong... another couple of days and they'll look like CPDN WUs without the trickle up thrills to look forward to. 8)
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

Well, I've resumed them and will see what happens, but don't think I'll download any more for the moment...
Image Image
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

MacDitch wrote:Well, I've resumed them and will see what happens, but don't think I'll download any more for the moment...
Probably wise - One of mine's over 100 hours and still thinks it's only 16% done... the other is over 50 hours and more or less the same. Strangely the time to finish is only 4-5 hours on one and only a few hours more on the other so I don't think I can rely on the math to know when they'll finish... :?
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Well the 50 hour WU in my last post came in at 98 hours... the other is still going strong. At 26-27 / hour the credit is not great. 8)
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

I'm sorry to admit I eventually aborted them. I had the computer on for over 12 hours (an exceptionally long period for this machine these days :( ) and the next morning they were back at zero. I know they had (each) cost me in the region of 25 hours already and didn't look like ever getting to a useable result....
Image Image
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

The longest one came in today and took 147 hours with two restarts in the middle. I didn't see it restarting from zero either time (always form the % completion last recorded before restart) - it appeared to restart from where it left off. All four WUs I completed did seem to run for a long time at between 6% and 25% complete and then completed very fast. This may be due to the nature of the calculation they're running which does appear to be unpredictable.

I am inclined to agree - at the moment I am not keen on long WUs... particularly since there are no trickle ups to tell you that everything is going OK... :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “QMC@Home”