DENIS

scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#1 DENIS

Post by scole of TSBT »

DENIS has work...GET IT!

And watch out for how much memory some WUs are taking. Some are taking over 2GB. I have one using over 8GB.

EDIT: Maybe it's gone. I had one system get 50 WUs but they all errored out. Another system got 50 and they're still running. No other systems got any.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#2 Re: DENIS

Post by Bryan »

They released 189 WU and they are history. According to the forum, they are testing a new app "beta" and if it goes well then it will be released fairly quickly with a lot of work.

I've started pinging it and I set the share VERY high. That oughta make it the top dog :lol:

Did you get them on Linux or Windows Steve?
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#3 Re: DENIS

Post by scole of TSBT »

I got them on two different i7-3770 systems running linux. On one, the WUs were using huge amounts of memory. I saw one WU using 11GB. All 50 WU on that system got comp errors. The other system is nearly identical but it's still working on it's first 8 of 50 using about 3.5MB per WU with an estimated runtime of 3hrs per WU.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#4 Re: DENIS

Post by Bryan »

I just got some Denis. The server says there are 125 in the wild and I have 120 of them :D They're on 3 different machines and using 5.56M so maybe they will be okay.

Did yours validate Steve?
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#5 Re: DENIS

Post by scole of TSBT »

I picked up another 119.

Only the first 50 yesterday got computation errors. The rest, including the new ones seem to be running ok. I have 9 validated and get around 85 per WU. Still have another 33 pending and 127 in progress.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#6 Re: DENIS

Post by Bryan »

Quite a few of my partners are on X5650s ... some Linux and some Windows. Hopefully those are you. It should also answer the question of which OS we want to be on when they release the big batch. If they all validate we will add 20k which will move us up 1 position and put us behind MF!

EDIT: 163 in progress
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#7 Re: DENIS

Post by scole of TSBT »

I think those are mine.

[table][tr][td]computer id[/td][td]cpu[/td][td]os[/td][td]# WU[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]4297[/td][td]X5650[/td][td]Win7 64[/td][td]24[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]186728[/td][td]X5650[/td][td]Linux[/td][td]66[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]4296[/td][td]E3-1246[/td][td]Win7 64[/td][td]29[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]180942[/td][td]i7-3770[/td][td]Linux[/td][td]50 (almost done, starting to validate)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]180943[/td][td]i7-3770[/td][td]Linux[/td][td]50 (all computation errors)[/td][/tr][/table]
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#8 Re: DENIS

Post by Bryan »

I saw the 1st 3 machines so maybe a high percentage will be "in the familY" ... that's a really good thing :D

2 of mine will identify as CPU 0000 and 1 is E5-2695 V3. 186731 - 186733
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#9 Re: DENIS

Post by scole of TSBT »

Z is my wingman on a bunch of the ones from yesterday.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#10 Re: DENIS

Post by Bryan »

DENIS is down ... I can't upload completed WU.

From what I saw on the few that had validated I sure hope Linux pays better than Windows!! If not we are going to need a boatload of WU to catch OcUK for the top spot.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#11 Re: DENIS

Post by scole of TSBT »

The server is up.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#12 Re: DENIS

Post by Bryan »

Got them uploaded. 81 validated and 67 pending.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#13 Re: DENIS

Post by scole of TSBT »

More DENIS work. Go get it! I picked up 200.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#14 Re: DENIS

Post by Bryan »

You did quite a bit better than I did ... only got 100 on 1 machine :(

Probably my fault, I have enough cached Yoyo that they are running in panic mode so the machines probably wouldn't request work when I did the pinging. I've solved that one ... dang.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#15 Re: DENIS

Post by scole of TSBT »

From the project admin...
We are starting with small batches, now the information that the "system" give to us is sufficient. It that last upgrade, we have change the checkpoint so if you want to help us a lot, you can do a lot of "stop/pause" with the WUs of Beta. We will launch more WUs in few days.

Regards, Joel.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#16 Re: DENIS

Post by Bryan »

That's good news. Maybe I can get Yoyo finished in time to move all machines over to Linux before they do a big release.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#17 Re: DENIS

Post by Dirk Broer »

Denis server crashed major big time! Backup from somewhere in 2016 installed, causing major credit loss...
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#18 Re: DENIS

Post by Alez »

From the project and dodging round the flame war of whether wanting points for your contribution means you are not a real cruncher ..... :violence-smack:

Posted: 22 Jun 2017, 15:27:37 UTC

Dear volunteers,
These days we have been suffering problems in the database due to an update. Many information was corrupted in the process. We have recovery a backup copy but it is a bit old.
We are working to get everything working well as soon as possible.

Please, be patient and thank you in advance.

Best regards.

Posted: 23 Jun 2017, 8:21:49 UTC

Dear all,
I give you some more information to try to clarify some issues regarding this problem.
All the results of the simulations are safe. Every hour they are uploaded to Google Drive. Only the workunits of the last three days could be lost.
Your statistics are stored each day in an xml file. We'll be able to solve the problem with your credit but we need time to develop a script to do it.
We have an script to do backup every day and to store it in two different servers. I don't know yet why it has not been working. I have to find out. In parallel, I'm talking with the IT department to improve the backup system.
I fully understand everything you are saying and how you feel. Please also understand my surprise when I discovered that things that would have to be doing well were not working. I ask again patience. Give it for sure that I will do everything in my hand to try to fix it.

Best regards,
Jesús

Posted: 29 Jun 2017, 9:02:17 UTC

Dear all,
Yes, part of the credits have been restored but not all, yet. I have restored the credit to the users and the teams created before January 4th (the last backup). These users and teams are in the database with the same internal id they had before the crash. If everything works well, the value of computers will probably be restored today.
To restore the credits of the users created after January 4th is more difficul. I have the credits with the cross project id and the username, but this values could change. It is also necessary for users to re-create accounts. I want to do it calmly to be sure to recover as many values as possible and to be sure that the users that re-create their accounts in the future will be able also to recover their credits.

With regard to the topic of optimized applications, we cannot integrate them directly. The optimizations were done by modifying the code of the models, but we never work directly with this code. We use a tool to generate the C++ files from the CellML files: https://github.com/DENISproject/DENIS-CellML2C. We are working to introduce the optimizations in the exportation process, but this is not trivial. We have been also talking with people from a research group in Oxford that have introduced some optimizations in the exportation process of their simulator. I have pending to read some of their scientific articles. Finally, we also want to work on improving the simulator by changing the integrator we are using by a faster one. This will also greatly improve the application.

Unfortunately, all this is a lot of work and we have to find the balance between improving performance and having time to be able to continue investigating. We are a very small team. Michale, I agree with all your arguments and this will be our priority for the next version, but I cannot promise you to have it in a short period of time. I hope you can understand our difficulties to carry it out fast.

Thank you all very much for your understanding during these difficult days for the project.

Best regards,
Jesús.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#19 Re: DENIS

Post by Dirk Broer »

Alez wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:32 pm From the project and dodging round the flame war of whether wanting points for your contribution means you are not a real cruncher ..... :violence-smack:
:clap:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “DENIS”