FIND@Home retired

Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#1 FIND@Home retired

Post by Alez »

FIND@Home has been retired from BOINCstats so I intend to retire here.

From the forum I found this. Seems if it restarts it will not be through BOINC.

Hi All,

Here's a brief update. We are finished with the main docking calculations and now need to analyse all the data from the full 19,000 compounds vs 1530 proteins in malaria, AND the TB work that we snuck in also. So loads of analysis needed on this side.

I'm now employed at a different institution - RCSI - but still have a toehold on the project through Ben who is still at UCD and whom I still see occasionally. The servers are all still running well in UCD, thanks to Ben. I have set up a strong collaboration with Matt Blumberg in Boston - a company called GridRepublic which uses BOINC-like computation for charitable work (Charity Engine). Matt has kindly offered to host the FiND@H project on his servers, so we'll find a safe place to keep this work going in the future. There are loads more pathogens out there, and we have a great system in place to identify novel targets, so I'm as keen as ever to keep this going.

We are applying for funding to set up an automated validation pipeline that will take the data from FM@H and send it directly into a robotic in vitro protein expression, purification and testing facility. Well that's the plan at any rate! It'll take us a while to get this set up (funding cycles, programming to connect to APIs, molecular biology protocol set-up and validation, etc.). But I'm very confident that each of these steps is feasible. We just need time and cash!
:-(

So please bear with us. We're trying to validate these virtual results in the laboratory so that we can safely tell the world about them. The initial data is already available here: http://chemware.ucd.ie/FiNDaH/Malaria.php.

But it would be unsafe to declare new targets without real laboratory based validation studies. If we do, we risk sending other scientists off in the wrong direction, which could waste valuable research funding (paid for by taxpayers).

Thanks again for all your help and support. When we transfer over to GridRepublic we'll tell you all about it on this forum.

ciao,
Ant
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#2 Re: FIND@Home retired

Post by Dirk Broer »

Mind you: GridRepublic is
'a BOINC Account Manager. It focuses on creating a clean and simple way to join and interact with BOINC. GridRepublic was started with a mission to raise public awareness and participation in volunteer computing with BOINC. Wikipedia'

When setting up a new BOINC box you have the choice out of two account managers: BAM! and GridRepublic.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#3 Re: FIND@Home retired

Post by Dirk Broer »

It is active again! Now under the name of Fight Neglected Diseases. When you update FiND@Home the line gets replaced with Fight Neglected Diseases and the Team Name in your BOINC manager will be dropped. Score-wise nothing changes, it is just that there is limited replication between old and new servers.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#4 Re: FIND@Home retired

Post by Alez »

Finally been retired from BOINCstats BAM.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “FiND@Home”