Leading From the Front & Playing with Optimized Apps.

Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#1 Leading From the Front & Playing with Optimized Apps.

Post by Megacruncher »

Wow! Despite having been nowhere for the larger part of the existance of this project I finally displaced the awesome John McLean as our highest scoring SETIest.

Not content with this I have started playing again with optimized SETI apps.

I'll let you know if you should do likewise! :)
Willie the Megacruncher
Janos (retired)
Still a Newbie

Post by Janos (retired) »

I would be very interested to learn how you get on with the optimised apps.

Janos
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

I'm beginning to form some initial impressions. I'll give it a day or two on various machines and will wait for the many pending results to be validated before posting these in any detail. In the meantime my advice would be "Stay clear - let me make the mistakes so you don't have to!"
Willie the Megacruncher
Janos (retired)
Still a Newbie

Enjoy the tinkering :)
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Janos wrote:Enjoy the tinkering :)
Lesson #1: The first thing I think I can say is that if you are running the vanilla SETI CUDA app on your NVidia GPU then stick with it. The credit may be dismal but it's better than nothing which is what I have ended up with running the optimized app on the one 260GTx which I've tried it on so far. :? :(
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

The again the optimised app seems to do CUDA rather well on both the 590 and 560! :D It chews thru the WUs more than twice as fast as the standard app. 8) Of course, with the usual delays before validation and the traditional Tuesday outage for the project it will be a few days before the impact on my credits is apparent.
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

After nearly a week of playing I've concluded that if you are going to run SETI then you are as well to run the optimised apps.
The CPU ones run in 70% of the time for the same credit.
The CUDA ones didn't run on all my NVidia machines but ran on the fastest ones more than doubling the rate of WU completion and credit accumulation.
The ATI ones were stable but unspectacular and given the other things you could be doing with such a card using it for SETI seems a little wasteful. Also SETI have just announced an ATI App which is allegedly better than the existing ATI ones.
So best to hang on before trying the optimised apps for ATI but I'd recommend using them for CPU and NVidia.

They all can be downloaded from this site
here
Willie the Megacruncher
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Got it! thanks Mega - OS X, BSD and Linux apps also available from the same site. :D
Janos (retired)
Still a Newbie

I'm running the optimised apps now. All seems to be working fine so far.

Janos
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Janos wrote:I'm running the optimised apps now. All seems to be working fine so far.

Janos
And it shows in your stats! :D
There has been a general surge in our SETI output and our top 100 goal looks like it will be achieved in weeks not months.

A word of caution: We just need to maintain a balance btwn overall output and bringing SETI back into the fold. Our overall credit has dropped a lot over the last few days: Down to about 2.5 million yesterday & today. :shock: I'm fairly sure that this is a consequence of the switch of resources to SETI..

I'm going to give all my GPUs at least a few DistRTGen or Primegrid WUs each day. This should stop me sliding down the combined ranks. And so long as my SETI RAC is 60k and the rest of the team manage another 60k SETI will be alright.
Willie the Megacruncher
robmacagain
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#11 Re: Leading From the Front & Playing with Optimized Apps.

Post by robmacagain »

I know that this thread is old hat like but i see that its still paying out piss poor credits as it always has :cry:, seriously they need dragging up by their bootstraps and pay better then more peeps may bother!!!
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#12 Re: Leading From the Front & Playing with Optimized Apps.

Post by Alez »

The problem is they don't, as they have an evangelical following that believe that every other project is wrong :evil:
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
robmacagain

#13 Re: Leading From the Front & Playing with Optimized Apps.

Post by robmacagain »

I mean their giving like 1's and 2's for credits, come on wtf it that all about :evil:, not enough credit and not really any incentive is it, the faster you do a unit the less you get, that's arse about face for a start!!!!

All work should carry the same amount of credit irrespective of time to completion, if 1 wu is worth say 100 credit then you should get 100 for it not 20 coz your gear has done it in a 1/5 of the time, i'm ranting but with good cause imo!!!
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#14 Re: Leading From the Front & Playing with Optimized Apps.

Post by Alez »

Talking to the converted here. Try taking your 'twisted' logic to their temple of a home page and see how fast you get shot down for displaying common sense instead of the fervor of the converted :shock: That's credit new for you ..... fcuked up logic by any normal consideration , but you can't admit that todays tech is more efficient etc. must maintain the status quo of people that have crunched for the last decades. if you really want to get them in a froth, try suggesting that the faster you can do work, the more you get paid. Light blue touch paper $hit that suggestion :twisted:
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#15 Re: Leading From the Front & Playing with Optimized Apps.

Post by Megacruncher »

Holy unexpectedly resurrected threads, Batman!
Fortunately the institutionalised parsimony of S@H is not a problem for us nowadays. We have enough enthusiasts for the project that keeping top 100 is not really a problem anymore & I just drop by every few weeks. I think I've paid my dues by now anyway. :)
Willie the Megacruncher
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “SETI”