atikmdag.sys error

Using your nVidia or AMD Graphics card for BOINC computation.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#1 atikmdag.sys error

Post by scole of TSBT »

So, I've been trying to figure out why my system keeps restarting do to an error. I've posted some info in other threads, but I figure I'll start a new topic instead of hijacking another thread. To recap, I have an MSI mobo MSI H61M-P31 (G3) BIOS ver 2.7, Intel i3-3240 CPU running Win 7 Pro 64bit. I recently installed a new AMD R9 270X GPU. It will run Prime Grid and the default Collatz config all day without a problem, but if setup with even a minimum .config file for Collatz, it reboots after anywhere from 1 hour to 6 hours. CPU temps run no more than 50C, GPU temps mid-hi 60s. No overclocking. In the system event log, the source is Kernel-Power, event id 41, task category 63, which apparently is pretty generic. Didn't realize that until after I installed a new Corair PSU though. Microsoft must be getting kickbacks from PSU manufacturers. There's lots of threads on the web where others have a similar problem. Specifically where it reboots after when GPU is put under a load. The proposed fixes range from updating GPU drivers, updating the audio drivers, updating mobo drivers and utils, changing BIOS settings, flashing the BIOS, re-seating the GPU and replacing the GPU. The GPU drivers were already current. Updating the audio drive didn't fix it. I'm not patient enough to try one thing at a time and wait to see if it fixes it, so I've done all the rest, except for replacing the GPU, and waiting.

Here's the basis dump info...
Crash Time 4/2/2014 1:34:58 PM
Bug Check Code 0xa0000001
Parameter 1 00000000`00000005
Parameter 2 00000000`00000001
Parameter 3 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver atikmdag.sys
Caused By Address atikmdag.sys+282ce
File Description
Product Name
Company File
Version
Processor
Crash Address
Stack Address 1 atikmdag.sys+282ce
Stack Address 2 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0
Stack Address 3
Computer Name
Full Path
Processors
Count
Major Version
Minor Version
Dump File Size
Dump File Time

System info...
Hardware Info:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name RIGBY
System Manufacturer MSI
System Model MS-7788
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V2.7, 1/10/2013
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.97 GB
Available Physical Memory 6.11 GB
Total Virtual Memory 15.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 14.0 GB
Page File Space 7.97 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Software Info:
Driver packaging Version 13.35.1005-140312a-169198E
Catalyst Version 14.3
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1379
Direct3D Version 9.14.10.01017
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.12798
AMD Catalyst Control Center Version 2014.0312.1131.18796

Waiting to see what happens, but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Janos (retired)
Still a Newbie

#2 Re: atikmdag.sys error

Post by Janos (retired) »

If you think you have resolved the hardware issues I would revert to reinstalling Windows from disk.
"Happiness can be defined as: a geek with non-work related code to write, no distractions and no deadline." - Janos
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#3 Re: atikmdag.sys error

Post by scole of TSBT »

Well, I tried one more thing. When I installed the R9 adapter, I connected my monitor to it also. I had been using the IGPU to crunch but disabled it while troubleshooting this problem. So I enabled the IGPU, connected the monitor to it and everything has been stable for over 9 hours. The only issue is the Catalyst Control Center no longer displays the Performance tab,which allows you to monitor temps, overclock, etc. I've searched and searched and can't find a solution. I've uninstalled every display driver, run driver sweeper, re-installed but no luck. If power off, connect monitor to ATI card, Performance tab is there in Catalyst Control Center. Power down, move back to IGPU, restart and no Performance options. The Performance tab won't appear unless a monitor is connected to the R9 adapter. Any advice on this?

Also, AMD has an article about driver errors here...http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... sages.aspx, but it basically says try everything, good luck.
Janos (retired)
Still a Newbie

#4 Re: atikmdag.sys error

Post by Janos (retired) »

My solution was to connect two wires to my kvm, one from the card and the other from the iGPU.
"Happiness can be defined as: a geek with non-work related code to write, no distractions and no deadline." - Janos
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#5 Re: atikmdag.sys error

Post by Alez »

Seems your having almost as much of a nightmare with the R9 card as I did. Try as I might I could not get it to run with Linux and I could not get it to run with any other AMD card excet my 7970 under windows with the latest driver. The catalyst issue is as you state, Catalyst only works with the card that is plugged into the monitor. Crossfire has been around for years, yet Catalyst only works on 1 GPU :? Use afterburner to control and monitor. Works on multiple cards. nVidia and AMD and cpu IGpu all together.
I have my Igpu attached to the pc input of my TV while the graphics card is plugged into my HDMI switch. That keeps them functioning.
If it is a stable system you can use, attach the Igpu to the monitor and use afterburner to monitor temps etc. far better software than catalyst anyway.
link here http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)”