Is GPUGrid Success Age Dependant?

Using your nVidia or AMD Graphics card for BOINC computation.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#1 Is GPUGrid Success Age Dependant?

Post by Megacruncher »

A year after I set up this forum it seems reasonable to ask: Can only new GPU cards run GPUGrid without error.

A year on all but one of my GTX 2xx cards are stil operational in some way or other. However they simply refuse to run GPUGrid projects through to completion. My brand new GYX260 however, knocks then out without hesitation.

Anyother experiences would be welcome!
Willie the Megacruncher
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

I have only had issues with my 192 core 260. The 295's are the same age and work just fine apart from the odd BSOD due to dsome thing to do with Direct X keek.
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

I gave up on GPU Grid primarily because of the different driver/OS/Cuda/Boinc version requirements. My 8800GT's crapped out regularly, and the 192 core GTX260 simply refused to crunch GPU Grid on anything.

The other day I had a quick browse through their site. I believe they now support a range of hardware on different drivers. However, I'm not re-starting the project in the short term though - I just don't have as much time as before to trawl through the various driver clean-ups and re-installs, plus OS and hardware permutations.

I know this sounds harsh, but it seems to me that the project lost it's way a little in trying to keep up with the relentless upgrades to drivers, Boinc clients (schedulers, bug fixes etc) and Nvidia hardware. Very few of these changes were initiated by GPU Grid, but on occasion the project was too quick to recommend a new driver, or boinc version, without having fully evaluated it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)”