New GPU

Using your nVidia or AMD Graphics card for BOINC computation.
steve

#1 New GPU

Post by steve »

rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

if my budget could streach it then 2 of these would be in my system but i can't just now.

now when these 212 series are out i might be tempted :)
http://www.hardware-infos.com/news.php? ... &sprache=1
Ben

Post by Ben »

Wouldn't mind 3 way SLI :shock:

480 * 3 = 1440 shaders!! Ooo err

If GPUGrid do decide to create that application where it can use multiple GPU's at the same time then that is going to have some firepower to it. Should be able to do WU's by the hour rather then by the day :D
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

I get my 1st GTX-295 next Friday/Sat strapped to an i7. Just waiting a few weeks to get the 2nd and SLI them. Hopefully, the price will drop in the interim.

Then I can see a decent RAC :)

I did price Tesla S1070 and S1075's up as my gear is all rack mount, here's hoping that lottery win comes in.
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

Wow, that baby could do some serious crunching

And welcome to the forums jock :)
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Thanks nice to be here :)
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

well i thought i did well with an i7 and 2 x 260-216's. i shall of course bow down to the system with 2 x 295's

now who ca i kill to get better graphics? hmm.....
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Welcome to the forum jock.

It looks like the Boinc bug has bitten and bitten hard. Good.

I suspect your new beast will be a winner but in spirit of gratuitous boasting I would like to highlight this machine which is one of my Q6600s with a GTX 260 in it running mainly GPUGrid & , until very recently, WCG. Its total RAC is 9642 which will probably rise to 5 figures now that I'm switching to CPDN instead of WCG.

Anyone able to beat an RAC of 9642 from a single machine?
Willie the Megacruncher
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

How about this one

According to Boincstats it has a RAC of 10608 and is only a lowly dual core E4300 :wink:
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Thanks

It's been a while. Did the original pre-BOINC SETI for a number of years till I lost my account login and all the points. Created a new account and lost interest when I had to start over on original SETI then as I got going it was retired and the BOINC version came out which was the final straw lol

I forgot about the heat this causes in the house not to mention electric bills and were on a bloody key meter. Expecting the cops anythime thinking I'm into hydroponic plant growing due to the electricity usage increase :o . Shame my heating bill is in with my rent or I could at least be saving some cash.

BOINC bitten hmm, you might say that 3 new machines coming this week. Another Dual Quad Core 2U Server, shame there only 2GHZ Opties, and a 1U Quad Xeon, plus the I7. In my defence I blame Dell for flaunting an 8 CPU box with 16GB at me for £900 or the Quads at £389. The £389 Quads are cheaper than just buying the case they come in.

As to the challenge, define a single machine Mega :)

--------------------------------------
An a man's a man fae all that ..
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Wow you are keen & yes the heat is a problem (wait until August :shock: ) Hydroponics might be a a good way of financing all of this - tomatoes of course.

To keep it simple a single machine can be any number of CPUs & GPUs recognised by Boincstats as a discrete host.
Willie the Megacruncher
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

well in the spirit of core waving i give you my main beast. circa 14k a day at the moment.

http://boincstats.com/stats/boinc_host_ ... id=4926252

Now considering i game pretty heavly most nights on this (and if there is an important guild run i disable boinc completely) i recon it could be a good bit higher than it is. (WCG aint exactly doing it any favours) If left purly crunching it could probably come in close to 20k a day on its own but then i'd have no pc to game on which is why i built it.

Merlyn has a good few in the 15k and 16k a day bracket. http://boincstats.com/stats/boinc_host_ ... st=0&or=16
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

ok in the world of insane single crunchers how about this beast.

http://www.gpugrid.net/show_host_detail ... stid=11011

core i7 with 3 x gtx 295's giving them 6 cuda devices and a rac of over 50k a day.

WANT!!!! (but they can keep the electricity bill)
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

And 3x 295 is only of use for BOINC as 6-way SLI is not something they have working in games. So it ends up being Quad-SLI + a card.

Only 2 motherboards support it in capability and slot spacing the Gigabyte and DFI. The DFI however, means you get no sound as its sound comes on a PCI add-in and with 3 x 295 they cover all the PCI slots so you cannot put the sound card in at all.

I did look into it but I decided that it was just a little too far to go lol.
Ben

Post by Ben »

rowpie wrote:ok in the world of insane single crunchers how about this beast.

http://www.gpugrid.net/show_host_detail ... stid=11011

core i7 with 3 x gtx 295's giving them 6 cuda devices and a rac of over 50k a day.

WANT!!!! (but they can keep the electricity bill)

And he has another Core i7 @ 2.6Ghz! :shock: Crikeeee
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Interestingly I'm thinking that the GTX-295 here is actually drawing a lot less power than my old 8800GTX. Seems at full tilt to be pulling about 450W.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)”