Report any issues and problems with the forum here

What do you think of the new look ?

Yeah, I love it
100%
Meah, It's OK
No votes
Nah, It's awful
No votes
OMG, MY retinas are burning, it BURNS, it BURNS.
No votes
What new look ? What's this about refreshing my browser ? Nothing to see here, carry on.
No votes
Being different scares me .... I want a standard phpBB please so I can stop hiding behind the sofa.
No votes

Total votes: 4

Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#1 More forum changes

Post by Alez »

Whole look of the forum has changed, .... again :roll: .... Once you have loaded forum, refresh you're browser to clear the locally cached copy and let me know what you think :o

Changes made as per requests, less yellow, less tartan, Forum no longer fixed width, header background blue and no clutter. People can now change votes if they want.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#2 Re: More forum changes

Post by Alez »

Only 3 people so far have noticed things have changed , I'm away to sulk .....
Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#3 Re: More forum changes

Post by Silver »

I've only looked via mobile so far and I like the look of most of it but it's a bit yellow for me. Can I change that somewhere?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#4 Re: More forum changes

Post by Alez »

Silver wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 11:38 am I've only looked via mobile so far and I like the look of most of it but it's a bit yellow for me. Can I change that somewhere?
No you can't change it as it's all hard coded. Took best part of a whole day to build, getting tartan in etc. Changed away from blue because it was too blue with the tartan etc. If I need to revert then I need to hard code it all again. Personally I think it's much better than standard but I'll change it all back if that's the consensus.

Prosilver se hasn't changed and it's better on a mobile.
Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#5 Re: More forum changes

Post by Silver »

I'll stick with it and see if I get used to it.
Don't change it on my account Alez
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#6 Re: More forum changes

Post by Alez »

12 hours waiting at heliport before I got away. Made some quick changes, all I've got time for just now.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#7 Re: More forum changes

Post by scole of TSBT »

I've haven't voted but if you mean the tartan, I think it's a bit much. Maybe a strip across the top 1/4 but that much real estate in tartan makes it kind of busy. I'd rather see that area used for forum content.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#8 Re: More forum changes

Post by Alez »

scole250 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 10:41 pm I've haven't voted but if you mean the tartan, I think it's a bit much. Maybe a strip across the top 1/4 but that much real estate in tartan makes it kind of busy. I'd rather see that area used for forum content.
I'm using the standard dimensions. The tartan at the back is simply replacing what was blank space before. Using that space for forum content requires me to recode the standard even further away from standard.
I get the feeling people just don't like it so far. Can get rid, back to standard board , though personnaly I did like it. Makes forum different from just another standard phpBB board.
Ultimately not my call though. Board is for all, not my play thing.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#9 Re: More forum changes

Post by Alez »

Alez wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 11:18 am
scole250 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 10:41 pm I've haven't voted but if you mean the tartan, I think it's a bit much. Maybe a strip across the top 1/4 but that much real estate in tartan makes it kind of busy. I'd rather see that area used for forum content.
I'm using the standard dimensions. The tartan at the back is simply replacing what was blank space before. Using that space for forum content requires me to recode the standard even further away from standard.
I get the feeling people just don't like it. Will get rid back to standard board when I get a chance, though personnaly I did like it. Make forum different from just another standard phpBB board.
Which I've gone and done.Have figured out how to make forum use 96% of any screen, rather than the fixed width phpBB uses.
Probably going to just nuke it all back to standard anyway, so might as well have a play, learn then remove my coding back to a standard phpBB.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#10 Re: More forum changes

Post by Alez »

Silver wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 9:12 pm I'll stick with it and see if I get used to it.
Don't change it on my account Alez
Of course I'll change it if people don't like it.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#11 Re: More forum changes

Post by Alez »

Changes made as per requests, less yellow, less tartan, Forum no longer fixed width, header background blue and no clutter. People can now change votes if they want.
I can either make further changes to suit or can revert board to standard.
I may also try and split this off as a seperate board style and include a standard prosilver with no changes for the traditionalist in our midst ... if I can figure that out without trashing everything. Never made an entire style before.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#12 Re: More forum changes

Post by Alez »

Under user control panel you can now choose either

Prosilver TSBT, fully customised variable width forum board.
Prosilver, Fixed width standard board with team logo and header banner, bit of tartan round forum topics, everything else standard.
Prosilver SE, Fixed width standard board with team logo.

Changes to Prosilver TSBT can be requested . Doubt I will make any more changes to either Prosilver or Prosilver SE.
Of course other styles can be suggested or you can make one and if it works I'll install it for you.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#13 Re: More forum changes

Post by Dirk Broer »

Even the visually challenged will have no problems anymore reading this forum now -especially when using an even bigger monitor than the 23'' that I am using now.
And there's an Itsy-Bitsy-Teenie-Weenie tartan-striped-blue-green bikini string at the very edge of the screen too. Might be next summer's beach dress code, who knows?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#14 Re: More forum changes

Post by Alez »

Well, for those of you that have been using the new prosilver TSBT style, it's time to cast your vote on its appeal or not. Poll on first post of this thread.
Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#15 Re: More forum changes

Post by Silver »

I'll refer to my earlier comment
Silver wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 11:38 am I've only looked via mobile so far and I like the look of most of it but it's a bit yellow for me.
I went back to prosilver BUT I haven't used the forum on a pc for ages so I might change my mind if i ever get my pc set up again.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#16 Re: More forum changes

Post by Alez »

Silver wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:34 pm I'll refer to my earlier comment
Silver wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 11:38 am I've only looked via mobile so far and I like the look of most of it but it's a bit yellow for me.
I went back to prosilver BUT I haven't used the forum on a pc for ages so I might change my mind if i ever get my pc set up again.
I actually made it less yellow at your request. It's not yellow on my laptop ( more washed out lilac and sand ) or my Nexus phone, but mobile devices do seem to handle site very differently. I still thing Prosilver SE is better on phones than Prosilver, but each to their own. That's why there is three styles to choose from. :-)
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#17 Re: More forum changes

Post by Alez »

Cheers Pete,
One of the issues is that I haven't been home since I made these changes ( been home for 1 day in the last 5 weeks ), so I only see what I produce on MY phone and MY laptop. I need feedback from silver etc to tell me what is right or what is wrong with the changes. The colours look right on my laptop, doesn't mean they are right for the majority of devices, so until I see it on my own monitor etc I don't know.
I toned the yellowness down on silvers feedback, maybe I still haven't gone far enough.
Don't worry about the amount of time I put in, you're not going to hurt my feelings etc. I would rather get critisism and put it right, than have people not using a style because it's bad.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#18 Re: More forum changes

Post by Bryan »

Okay I voted even though I don't feel I have that right ... being a yank and all :lol:

I didn't even know which flavor I was running until I checked. I'm very comfortable with the Prosilver TSBT version.

The only thing I'm having to get used to is the names and Avatars being on the right instead of the left but that is no big deal.

You've done a fantastic job on this Alez!! Thank you.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#19 Re: More forum changes

Post by Alez »

Bryan wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:30 pm Okay I voted even though I don't feel I have that right ... being a yank and all :lol:
We do try to tolerate you ungrateful colonials etc. etc. :text-lol:
Bryan wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:30 pm The only thing I'm having to get used to is the names and Avatars being on the right instead of the left but that is no big deal.
Can't blame me for that, it's been that way since I upgraded the board to the new 3.2.0 release :teasing-neener:
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#20 Re: More forum changes

Post by Bryan »

Alez wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:21 pm Can't blame me for that, it's been that way since I upgraded the board to the new 3.2.0 release :teasing-neener:
It makes it difficult. In the past I could look at the avatar on the left and immediately see it was yours so I knew I could skip that post. Now I wind up reading the post before realizing who did it :pottytrain2:
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#21 Re: More forum changes

Post by Alez »

Bryan wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:41 pm
Alez wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:21 pm Can't blame me for that, it's been that way since I upgraded the board to the new 3.2.0 release :teasing-neener:
It makes it difficult. In the past I could look at the avatar on the left and immediately see it was yours so I knew I could skip that post. Now I wind up reading the post before realizing who did it :pottytrain2:
And now I know why you spent so much time sitting at the back of the classroom :banana-dreads:
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#22 Re: More forum changes

Post by Bryan »

Actually they usually put me up front within arms reach of my teacher and her ruler :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Website Problems”