Optimal Daily Settings

General News and Banter all users and guests can see this forum.
Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
leecarver
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#1 Optimal Daily Settings

Post by leecarver »

When not in "Challenge Mode", I'm curious how others have their non-dedicated systems set up for crunching. I've got only the one desktop and I'm trying not to burn it out in the next year (... or five). I'm running nine different projects and I'm not sure if I have my system set up to properly distribute the work and/or maintain its resources for everyday crunching while I'm away.

Any recommendations on how to set up BOINC locally to efficiently handle everyday work?
Hardware:
Main CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4 GHz, MSI Z87-G45 mobo, 24 GB DDR3, GTX 770 2GB EVGA, Windows 10
Tablet: NVIDIA Shield Tablet, Stock
Phone: LG G8, Stock
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#2 Re: Optimal Daily Settings

Post by scole of TSBT »

I usually use an app_config.xml file to limit the number of active WUs per project. If I do let them work on 5+ projects at a time, I will still use an app_config.xml to make sure no project(s) hog all the cores, but other than that I let the BOINC scheduler take over. And I always set my minimum work buffer low, like .05, so I don't ever get caught holding a bunch of WUs in case I want to switch up.
leecarver
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#3 Re: Optimal Daily Settings

Post by leecarver »

Thanks for the input. Going to look at my settings again tonight. Had to turn off the computer yesterday because our A/C went out (bad capacitor) and the house heated up to 85F.

Speaking of temperatures, what should I be looking at for temps on my graphics card when running full load? I'll probably keep the SIEVE project going with shared resources. Right now, my 770 is running at 67C max and hovers in the low to mid 60s. My CPU is hitting 60C max, but usually stays around 55C or slightly lower.

Are there certain projects I should be staying away from due to processing requirements? Don't want to melt my rig. It's right behind the baby and dog in order of things to rescue from the house in the event of a fire. :)
Hardware:
Main CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4 GHz, MSI Z87-G45 mobo, 24 GB DDR3, GTX 770 2GB EVGA, Windows 10
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#4 Re: Optimal Daily Settings

Post by scole of TSBT »

For max CPU core temps, technically you can check the Tcase for a specific CPU and use that guide for the max temp to stay below. Yours is listed here as 72C...http://ark.intel.com/products/75048/Int ... o-3_80-GHz

but I choose to be conservative with most of my systems, especially the family PC, and try to keep temps at or below 60C. 55C on yours shouldn't hurt a thing. Some of my systems run in the low 70C range but they have a Tcase of 81C.

Some projects CPU apps run much hotter than others such as Asteroids AVX WUs, SRBase, many PrimeGrid CPU apps. Doesn't mean you can't run them. If the core temps run too high, limit the number of active WUs for that project or reduce the % CPU time from 100% to 90% or whatever it takes to keep it cool.

For GPUS, I try to keep the temp below 70C. Again, some projects run hotter than the others. Milkyway is brutal on GPUs. I recently discovered Moo!Wrapper also runs hot on my AMD GPUs. If maxing out the fan speed doesn't keep it cool enough, you can use MSI Afterburner to downclock the core and memory speed. That will make it run cooler. BTW, there's a Moo Wrapper team challenge in progress. Might be worth seeing if how the Nvidia app pays on your 770. It pays very well on my AMD GPUS.

You can use HWMonitor to keep tabs on the core and gpu temps. It will note the max temp observed since startup.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#5 Re: Optimal Daily Settings

Post by Alez »

Your temps are fine and nothing to worry about. I would not recommend changing cpu time from anything other than 100% as the constant suspending of units will cause some projects to error and the run time to increase massively. If you are not happy then reduce the number of cores being used. On a four core system run 3 as a matter of course. Watch the cpu usage and the GPU usage as it may be better to run 2 cores only for better throughput and heat management.
Get used to a REGULAR schedule of checking the GPU and CPU coolers and clean the dust out of them. I use a soft bristle 1" paint brush and the vacuum cleaner. Others recommend cans of compressed air ( not an air compressor ) but I'm far too tight to pay for cans of air :shock:
I simply use the schedular and as scole says use a low buffer unless you are not connected all the time. No point in holding a cache unless you require it due to connection times. Remember you can control what you want to run by setting no new tasks etc. Also if you don't want to run certain units you have downloaded then abort them so that someone else will get the resend. Don't suspend them and leave them to expire as someone will be waiting on you returning them as their wingman.
When not crunching for a comp I would suggest that you run what you want to run ie. what intrests you, whether that be for a specific cause, a specific badge, an increase in wuprop hours for a certain project etc. etc.
Finally I recommend that you run WUProp on any system you use for crunching as that will keep all your various project accounts connected and stop any posibility of splitting your CPID and having orphan accounts on projects.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
leecarver
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#6 Re: Optimal Daily Settings

Post by leecarver »

Thanks for the input, Alez and Scole. I haven't had much time to play with it, but hope to sit down tonight and put some time in. Been too busy fixing the A/C unit in the house.

Right now, I've got the usage to 75% of the CPU (100% of the time) and only suspended when non-BOINC usage is over 25%. I presume when you are talking about minimum work buffer, you are talking about the "store at least x days of work" options? My system is always connected, so I have that to .05 days of work. I also have it to switch between projects every 60 minutes.

How often are you cleaning out your system if you don't mind me asking? Once a month?
Hardware:
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#7 Re: Optimal Daily Settings

Post by scole of TSBT »

Alez wrote:( not an air compressor )
Why not?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#8 Re: Optimal Daily Settings

Post by Alez »

leecarver wrote:Thanks for the input, Alez and Scole. I haven't had much time to play with it, but hope to sit down tonight and put some time in. Been too busy fixing the A/C unit in the house.

Right now, I've got the usage to 75% of the CPU (100% of the time) and only suspended when non-BOINC usage is over 25%. I presume when you are talking about minimum work buffer, you are talking about the "store at least x days of work" options? My system is always connected, so I have that to .05 days of work. I also have it to switch between projects every 60 minutes.

How often are you cleaning out your system if you don't mind me asking? Once a month?
Download open hardware monitor link or similar and check the temps , processor usage etc. Setting Boinc to use 75% ie 3 cores will run 3 cpu units. It does not take into account the GPU usage as long as the app is set to use less than 1 core. You also have to consider overhead for windows etc. I will bet that at 75% of cpu you are using closer to 95 - 97 % of the actual CPU if not 100%

I have my systems set to switch between projects every 660 mins so that I don't have units waiting to run. I prefer to start and finish a unit then change project. I clean mine out depending on when they need it. The systems in the house with the coal fire require cleaning much more often ( as the dust is like talcum powder or desert sand like Afghanistan which sticks and clogs everything ) than the systems outside in the tech shed where they mostly expel the dead flys :) Check your systems. If they are good, leave longer, if not clean more often.
I also have them set to checkpoint every 600 secs ( 10 mins ) Some apps respect this, some don't.
scole250 wrote:
Alez wrote:( not an air compressor )
Why not?
Unless you jam the fans with a q tip or similar most air compressors are too powerful and will overspeed the fans which can either damage the bearings or actually snap the blades with the acceleration. You also run the risk of propelling high velocity particles into the electronics board. Air from a compressor , unless properly filtered , can also contain lubricant etc. This will stick to the radiator fins and either cause a fire hazard or act as a dust magnet.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General”